Home & Garden

How can I find out what Amps in my house?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2022 1:33 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
17063 posts
4567 upvotes

How can I find out what Amps in my house?

I uploaded the photo
Does that mean my house has 200Amp or just 100Amp?
Images
  • EB1B834E-969A-47DB-8D4C-AF5050890F9B.jpeg
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
60 replies
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
You panel has a 100A main breaker. Right now you have 100A service.

Depending on service entry, you could have more then that to the meter. Typically underground services are 200A to the meter. The wiring between the meter and the panel would likely need to be upgraded, as well as the panel itself.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1205 posts
2176 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
That's 100amp service, not 200.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1993 posts
1723 upvotes
GTA
100.

However this means there is 100 to the panel, not specifically to the house.

Depending on your house, you could have a 200 service to your meter.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
17063 posts
4567 upvotes
ok...thank you..
so does anyone know roughly how much does it cost to upgrade to 200Amp?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
kiasu wrote: ok...thank you..
so does anyone know roughly how much does it cost to upgrade to 200Amp?
That's not an easy answer.

@Jerico just posted a thread and said $2400 I believe, for a fairly simple upgrade, with a wire run to the garage for a 100A sub panel for his future garage needs.

If you have to upgrade wire between the meter and panel, it depends on the complexity of the run. Will you need to upgrade the wired between the transformer and meter (for overhead service)?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1993 posts
1723 upvotes
GTA
kiasu wrote: ok...thank you..
so does anyone know roughly how much does it cost to upgrade to 200Amp?
First things first is call your Hydro Company. If you do not have a 200amp service to your meter its going to get expensive fast. If you do have a 200amp service to your meter you're looking a bit over $2k.

If you're in the GTA, I have a LEC which I have recommended to a number of other members on this forum and he seems to be a fair price and great service.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
17063 posts
4567 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: First things first is call your Hydro Company. If you do not have a 200amp service to your meter its going to get expensive fast. If you do have a 200amp service to your meter you're looking a bit over $2k.

If you're in the GTA, I have a LEC which I have recommended to a number of other members on this forum and he seems to be a fair price and great service.
yes I am in Toronto. Ok, I will call Toronto Hydro to check if they have 200amp service to my meter.

Thx for the info...
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8398 posts
5265 upvotes
Mississauga
First things first, call your local utility and find out if there is 200A service to the meter. If there isn't, this electrical service upgrade project just got real expensive real fast.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11946 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
KevinM56081 wrote: That's not an easy answer.

@Jerico just posted a thread and said $2400 I believe, for a fairly simple upgrade, with a wire run to the garage for a 100A sub panel for his future garage needs.

If you have to upgrade wire between the meter and panel, it depends on the complexity of the run. Will you need to upgrade the wired between the transformer and meter (for overhead service)?
I was $2500 for the swap (it was $2480 or something), then $900 for the pony. I was off a hair. Total $3400+HST, permitted. Utility had 200 amp service, meter and wire to my house. Without that, it would be more complicated for sure. When my friend did his locally he had a hell of a time finding out if he had 200 amp service (he did) but if he did not the local utility was willing to run a new wire and meter for xx distance FOR FREE (I dont remember what XX was, but both of us are on residential lots vs country so it wouldnt have been over 60 feet or so).

The thing that shocked me but in retrospect makes sense is the new panel is a friggin monster. Added pics of old now in garage as pony and new. Its 90% bigger.

Edit: also, I scheduled this in late June. Getting the panel was tough, scheduling shut offs was tough. Electrician said (and I have no reason to disbelieve him) that the delay was not on their end. The pony panel still doesnt have a 100 amp breaker, just a 40 amp as the 100 amp still hasnt come in.
Images
  • 46474722-1506-424D-B485-E69DA414303F.jpeg
  • 32E579A9-6537-463C-9F10-27EA97368205.jpeg
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
17063 posts
4567 upvotes
i just called Toronto Hydro and she cant tell me right the way whether there is 200 services to my meter. However, she booked an appt for the Toronto hydro staff to come over and check for me...
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1993 posts
1723 upvotes
GTA
kiasu wrote: i just called Toronto Hydro and she cant tell me right the way whether there is 200 services to my meter. However, she booked an appt for the Toronto hydro staff to come over and check for me...
You can usually go out to your meter and see what it says just to give you an idea. If its a newer home (like the past 30-40 years), it will hopefully have a 200amp service.

Regardless, they need to send someone out to check.

Is your service above ground or below?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1993 posts
1723 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: Edit: also, I scheduled this in late June. Getting the panel was tough, scheduling shut offs was tough. Electrician said (and I have no reason to disbelieve him) that the delay was not on their end. The pony panel still doesnt have a 100 amp breaker, just a 40 amp as the 100 amp still hasnt come in.
I got mine done a number of months before that, and yeah I can echo that the delay is due to the hydro companies.

They basically cancelled everything during covid and now have a crazy backlog.

For construction, I know Alectra has been by far the worst. Toronto Hydro and Hydro One have not been all that bad.

I however did not have an issue getting the panel/breakers.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
17063 posts
4567 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: You can usually go out to your meter and see what it says just to give you an idea. If its a newer home (like the past 30-40 years), it will hopefully have a 200amp service.

Regardless, they need to send someone out to check.

Is your service above ground or below?
above ground
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1993 posts
1723 upvotes
GTA
kiasu wrote: above ground
If the upgrade is required, it's much more affordable than above ground.

A friend of mine did the line upgrade and the panel upgrade in TO late last year. I could get you that price if you want.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
17063 posts
4567 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: If the upgrade is required, it's much more affordable than above ground.

A friend of mine did the line upgrade and the panel upgrade in TO late last year. I could get you that price if you want.
sure...that would be great...pls PM me or i will PM u
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
6249 posts
2888 upvotes
Durham
kiasu wrote: I uploaded the photo
Does that mean my house has 200Amp or just 100Amp?
I think that little number says 100
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 21, 2003
5742 posts
3087 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
In my experience it is extremely rare that an overhead service will sized to 200A to your home if you have 100A panel in the home. I have only done a few dozen but I have never come across an overhead service that was already oversized for 200A ahead of time. It is pretty cheap for the hydro company to replace overhead lines to your house so there is not much incentive to go above and beyond what is necessary. They will need less than an hour (most of which is spent following safety procedures and setup) to cut down the old lines and replace them.

It is fairly easy for you to figure out what you have. Go out to the side of your house and check the meter base itself. It's the grey box that your meter is on. There's a noticeable size difference between a 100A and 200A meter base. If your meter base is ~14"x~8" you've got 100A meter base and if it's ~17"x~12" you've got 200A meter. If you have 100A meter base you will have to replace everything. Your responsibility (done by the electrician you hire) will be the meter base, service mast (the conduit coming up from the meter base to the overhead lines), weatherhead at the top of the conduit, conduit from meter base to panel, new panel, wire from meter base to top of service mast and the wire from meter base to panel.

It's been 3-4 years since I've done a service upgrade but of the 2 dozen or so that I've done I have never once seen a customer charged by their utility for the line upgrade. However since I stopped doing I have seen more and more people on RFD say they were charged.

If you can't figure it out take a photo of your meter base and also measure the diameter of the conduit coming out the top and going up to the utility lines.

EDIT: Another factor aside from just the size of the lines to your house is the capacity of the transformer your house is fed from. If it's already close to it's limit then your provider will likely pass the cost of a new transformer on to you which is not cheap.

EDIT2: typo
Last edited by ChicoQuente on Aug 12th, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8038 posts
9010 upvotes
Montréal
ChicoQuente wrote: In my experience it is extremely rare that an overhead service will sized to 200A to your home if you have 100A panel in the home. I have only done a few dozen but I have never come across an overhead service that was already oversized for 200A ahead of time. It is pretty cheap for the hydro company to replace overhead lines to your house so there is not much incentive to go above and beyond what is necessary. They will need less than an hour (most of which is spent following safety procedures and setup) to cut down the old lines and replace them.

It is fairly easy for you to figure out what you have. Go out to the side of your house and check the meter base itself. It's the grey box that your meter is on. There's a noticeable size difference between a 100A and 200A meter base. If your meter is ~14"x~8" you've got 100A meter and if it's ~17"x~12" you've got 100A meter. If you have 100A meter base you will have to replace everything. Your responsibility (done by the electrician you hire) will be the meter base, service mast (the conduit coming up from the meter base to the overhead lines), weatherhead at the top of the conduit, conduit from meter base to panel, new panel, wire from meter base to top of service mast and the wire from meter base to panel.

It's been 3-4 years since I've done a service upgrade but of the 2 dozen or so that I've done I have never once seen a customer charged by their utility for the line upgrade. However since I stopped doing I have seen more and more people on RFD say they were charged.

If you can't figure it out take a photo of your meter base and also measure the diameter of the conduit coming out the top and going up to the utility lines.

EDIT: Another factor aside from just the size of the lines to your house is the capacity of the transformer your house is fed from. If it's already close to it's limit then your provider will likely pass the cost of a new transformer on to you which is not cheap.
This. Usually, utilities install service that matches the panel --- meter box capacity. They will not install higher gauge just to make sure that you do not upgrade your load without them knowing it, because then it's the transformer that could die, if, let say half the houses on a said transformer upgrade from 100 Amps to 200 Amps, and this without Hydro knowing it there will be issues sooner than later... wheter with the transformer, or the low voltage line, or both
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11946 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
DoorCrasher wrote: Usually, utilities install service that matches the panel --- meter box capacity.
I think “usually” is a strong word here based on my experience and what 2 electricians that quoted me said for our local area. I would say this is YMMV.

One other point of note as the LEC came back tonight for payment… I bought 2 more breakers (totaling 4 15 amp lines) for the new panel for the future, and he also made me a generous offer on my 15 amp breakers from my old panel which are “impossible to get”. I dont need a house full for the garage, so sold him half of them. If you guys are getting quoted, ask whats going on with the old panel as there could be an opportunity for cost reduction there.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)