Computers & Electronics

How can I hookup a Nintendo Wii to a new Samsung Smart TV?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2018 12:28 pm
[OP]
Jul 29, 2017
67 posts
2 upvotes

How can I hookup a Nintendo Wii to a new Samsung Smart TV?

Hello,

As the title states I purchased a new Samsung Smart TV. I dug up from my basement my Nintendo Wii that I haven't used in at least 5 years. I have two young kids who I thought could make good use of this unit if it still works. I started to hookup the Wii today and then noticed that my tv doesn't have RCA connections. Is there an adapter I can purchase that can fix this problem? Or can I purchase some newer cables for the Wii that can make use of some other inputs of my TV?

Thanks in advance.

*edit*

Since my TV is mounted against the wall I could only use a flashlight to look on the sides for the different inputs. There maybe different inputs flush on the back as I didn't want to ask my pregnant wife to help me lift the unit off the mount. The TV model I have is the UN55MU6290FXZC.

Below are the inputs for the TV I found off Best Buy

Inputs/Outputs
HDMI Inputs 3
MHL Inputs 0
Component Video Inputs 0
Coaxial Cable Inputs 1
Optical Digital Audio Outputs 1
Stereo Audio Outputs 0
Headphone Jack 0
USB Media Port 2
Internet Connectivity Wi-Fi and Wired
Bluetooth No
DLNA Certified Yes
Full Web Browsing Yes
Preloaded Apps YouTube; Netflix; Vimeo
Voice Control No
Motion Control No
Works with Google Assistant No
ENERGY STAR Qualified Yes
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1629 posts
709 upvotes
Alberta
They make component cables for the wii as well, but your TV doesn't even seem to have that, so your only version is a conversion box of some kind like posted above.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1794 posts
323 upvotes
Samsung Canada shows 1 Component Input as well as 1 Composite Input. From the manual, it looks like your model came with a yellow AV IN adapter cable that you plug in the RCA connections or if you got the Wii component cables, you need both the yellow AV IN adapter and a blue Component IN adapter. Those adapters go into the two inputs at the bottom of the side panel.

Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4042 posts
1272 upvotes
Oshawa
16' x 11' Living Room with 11' Cathedral Ceiling. 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2017
67 posts
2 upvotes
akira1971 wrote: Samsung Canada shows 1 Component Input as well as 1 Composite Input. From the manual, it looks like your model came with a yellow AV IN adapter cable that you plug in the RCA connections or if you got the Wii component cables, you need both the yellow AV IN adapter and a blue Component IN adapter. Those adapters go into the two inputs at the bottom of the side panel.

There is one component input I know of which I'm using for my sound bar, so if that plug is taken then I guess I can't use that for my Wii. I guess I need to look into buying adapters/converters.

I also have an Xbox One brand spanking new given to me by my brother. I plan to hook that up as well. Will I need some sort of switch to run both consoles?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4042 posts
1272 upvotes
Oshawa
Degener8 wrote: There is one component input I know of which I'm using for my sound bar, so if that plug is taken then I guess I can't use that for my Wii. I guess I need to look into buying adapters/converters.

I also have an Xbox One brand spanking new given to me by my brother. I plan to hook that up as well. Will I need some sort of switch to run both consoles?
Just plug into different HDMI ports.
16' x 11' Living Room with 11' Cathedral Ceiling. 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2017
67 posts
2 upvotes
trini wrote: Man this really sucked for me too because i have a wii, 360 and NES.
You can get an old vcr then hook it us via the coaxial then use the built in switch.
Trini!!

You're alive!!

It's been a long time bro!! :)
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1794 posts
323 upvotes
Degener8 wrote: There is one component input I know of which I'm using for my sound bar, so if that plug is taken then I guess I can't use that for my Wii. I guess I need to look into buying adapters/converters.

I would be using the Samsung tv as the "switch" where everything is plugged directly to it. Xbox, blu ray, cable box, etc would use the HDMI inputs (4th, 5th & 6th from the top) and the Wii would use the component (8th & 9th from the top) or composite (9th from the top) input. The tv would then send all the audio signals to your sound bar through the digital optical output (3rd from the top).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2002
6258 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
Degener8! I'm good busy with kids and this site has sure changed.

Another option is to use a HDMI receiver you can get some used for as low as $25 as long as it has 1 HDMI output to go to your tv you'll then have a multitude of video inputs to choose from.
Just make sure you get a working remote to make life easy.
I couldn't use this option because my audio equipment is solid state stereo.