Careers

How can I increase my chances of getting an accounting job after school?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2012 6:17 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 5, 2012
1 posts
BOWMANVILLE

How can I increase my chances of getting an accounting job after school?

Hello,

I finished my third year of Business Administration in April, and for the second summer in a row I have been unable to find an internship in accounting. I plan on becoming a CA, and while my marks are decent (A- GPA last year), I have essentially zero relevant experience I'm starting to get a bit worried, as I've been hearing horror stories of recent grads spending two to three years unemployed.

Is there anything I can do in my final year of University to increase my chances of finding a job post-grad? I've been thinking of trying to find a job as a part-time bookkeeper during school, although I'm not sure if I can find something that doesn't conflict with my classes.

Thank you.
2 replies
Oct 13, 2008
347 posts
20 upvotes
Mississauga
IOSRNG wrote: Hello,

I finished my third year of Business Administration in April, and for the second summer in a row I have been unable to find an internship in accounting. I plan on becoming a CA, and while my marks are decent (A- GPA last year), I have essentially zero relevant experience I'm starting to get a bit worried, as I've been hearing horror stories of recent grads spending two to three years unemployed.

Is there anything I can do in my final year of University to increase my chances of finding a job post-grad? I've been thinking of trying to find a job as a part-time bookkeeper during school, although I'm not sure if I can find something that doesn't conflict with my classes.

Thank you.
all of the big 4 firms have answers to your question on their career websites. Relevant work experience isnt something @ the top of their lists, as most companies will give you the relevant experience, and wont expect that you will have it as a fresh grad out of school
Jan 14, 2010
281 posts
191 upvotes
GTA
make sure to network as that is the only way to get an interview. They dont care about accounting experience.