[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
1243 posts
122 upvotes

How can I receive over the air tv channels without paying

I just got an LCD TV from a friend: Toshiba 26HL57
I use Shaw internet.
If I connect the coax cable to the TV, I can only receive channel 120 (a blue screen that says I need to get a Shaw digital cable box).

Is there any way to receive free tv channels (like before with a rabbit ear antenna) without subscribing to a tv package?

I heard that you can get a digital antenna (sometimes at dollarama), but would this do it on my Toshiba 26HL57 ?
4 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
Yes, you will need an antenna.

You can also stream just about anything you want with a $30-40 Android box with Kodi installed.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19185 posts
27631 upvotes
ONTARIO
Go here and put in your address:
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=29

You don't have to put in your exact address, just put in your postal code if you want.

It will tell you how many over the air channels you should be able to get with a basic antenna based on your location.

After it loads, scroll down the page and look for the list near the bottom.
Any channel that is highlighted in GREEN you should be able to pick up with a simple indoor antenna.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5215 posts
4344 upvotes
Toronto
You can buy a ATSC digital tuner (assuming k2200 is correct, haven't checked) and an external antenna.

The dollarama RCA antenna isn't really that good, just a split wire pretty much, I was about to get a couple of channels on it but it's poorly built and highly effected by interference/wind/etc, it's possible to build a beercan antenna or similar with a couple of extra parts that would perform better if your really wanted to for rather cheap.