Cell Phones

How can I tell if my Iphone is unlocked?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2019 10:10 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
29 posts

How can I tell if my Iphone is unlocked?

I got this Iphone 6 from Bell originally but since I upgraded to another phone on Rogers this past week I want to sell my Iphone 6.

I forgot to check if it was unlocked yet or not. I've been with Bell since Feb 2016 past my contract due date when I ported over to Rogers.

How can I tell if my phone is unlocked? Is there a free way to unlock it if I want to resell it? (I didn't think to check before I ported over to Rogers).

Thanks!
6 replies
Jul 16, 2013
444 posts
135 upvotes
Find a none bell SIM card and put it in. If it is unlocked it will show which carrier it is
If is locked it will show emergency only
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4951 posts
793 upvotes
Montreal
If you do what ZenaZ927 says and you find it's locked, the story below should help.

A friend moved from Rogers to another provider a few months ago. The new company sold her a new phone because her old phone was locked and their sim wouldn't work without unlocking. Her new phone was no better than her old phone so I called Rogers even though she no longer was a customer and they gave her the unlock code no questions asked.

Then she returned the new phone to her new provider and reduced her monthly bill.
Phils
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16449 posts
6381 upvotes
Oakville
Put your Rogers sim in. If it works, it's unlocked. If not, call Bell. They should unlock it for you
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16449 posts
6381 upvotes
Oakville
_dc_ wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 3:04 pm
Call the carrier to unlock a locked phone. They must do it for free, it's the law.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/code.htm
Some carriers will still try to weasel out of it if you're not a current customer, because the wording of the wireless code is "If a device is, or becomes, locked to a service provider’s network, that service provider must unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at no charge." But usually it just takes another call back (or, I know some of the carriers can do it via online chat, too).
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient