Shopping Discussion

How can sellers on ebay sell original products for so much cheaper? (ex laptop adapter)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2017 2:50 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
237 posts
613 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

How can sellers on ebay sell original products for so much cheaper? (ex laptop adapter)

Hi, newbie here, I made a couple of threads asking for help getting adapter/charger for my Vostro laptop, someone suggested ebay, and yes, I've never bought anything from Ebay before. So I went there and I'm perplexed by all these offers.
For instance:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Genuine-DELL-Vos ... g#shpCntId
If the link doesn't show up, it says "Genuine DELL Vostro 3460 3560 3360 Laptop AC Adapter Charger Power Supply 90W". The seller has "99.2% Positive feedback". It says "new", I searched for "refurbished" on the page and it does not show up so it must be new. Now of course I live in Vancouver so there'll be like 15 bucks shipping charge, but still. It sells for 22. Compare that with Dell, which sells them like well over a hundred bucks.
Homer: "Potato man."
10 replies
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
237 posts
613 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
carmaster wrote: "New condition"
Oh, so how is that different from new?
Homer: "Potato man."
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2008
1288 posts
1018 upvotes
Hamilton
It's a "compatible" adapter, not the exact same one manufactured for Dell.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6859 posts
2654 upvotes
BC
Although the heading says "Genuine Dell ..", further down the description says, "works as genuine parts".

And if you lookout the actual item pictures (smaller ones) you can see the charger is quite different from the Dell one in the main picture. Different shape and cord comes off the edge and not the centre.

99.2% feedback score isn't bad, but I see even some of the positive ones mention that it is not a genuine part (various different items than Dell charger).

So, that's why it is only $22 - and you can make an offer on that price. I see from the few that have been sold it was $5 higher last year. People are not flocking to buy it.

Might be worth a gamble but even though you have 3 mos. to return it you will have paid $30 shipping even it's DOA, so warranty has negative net value.

Keep looking for something in Vancouver would be my advice.
Aug 14, 2017
154 posts
123 upvotes
Dell hasnt sold this adapter for years. Maybe is just clearance. It will work fine.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
4047 posts
1479 upvotes
Ontario
As stated, this is OEM equivalent, not made by Dell. It is a chinese knock off and barely worth $20. it will likely burn out much faster than the original chargers. i have bought chinese laptop batteries on ebay and they last 3 months and they are dead. buyer beware.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3182 posts
2848 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Partly wrote: Oh, so how is that different from new?
It could be "like new" (used, but in pretty much perfect condition) or "new" (new).

As has already been written, it could be OEM, so not a real Dell part. That would explain why it's priced so low. It could also be a clearance of original item, but if it physically looks different, that'd definitely not the case.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21250 posts
7660 upvotes
Toronto
Yep, a lot of the “original” parts are fakes. For some stuff that just means crappy quality. However, for chargers this can also be a safety hazard.

Whenever I buy chargers, I try hard to buy original parts or respected third party parts. People have been electrocuted by fake Chinese chargers.
Aug 14, 2017
154 posts
123 upvotes
Old model power adapters are one of safer choices from fakes. Fakers have moved on to better and more lucrative parts.

As I said this adapter has been gone from market for many many years. It will work fine. its just bigger than what's current. If you are too worried look on Kijiji for any Dell adapters locally. If I'm sitting on 100 of these adapter, I'd get rid of them at $20. I know it won't be bundled with new ones, so only market is replacement market.

If you look up current shipping adapter prices, you will find it's barely any cheaper than buying from Dell. I've managed fleets of Dell laptops and I remember every shape of those bricks.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37648 posts
5410 upvotes
Winnipeg
mass produced electronics from china with generic brand that can be branded into anything, also cheaper for them to ship to us than for us to ship to our neighbor cross the street.
WTB amazon gc @90%

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)