Home & Garden

How to change the colors of these kitchen cabinets?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2020 6:44 pm
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44747 posts
5332 upvotes
Richmond Hill
lolbeast wrote: If we just replaced the Black countertops with some nice white Quartz, do you guys think would it brighten up the look?
Yes, I think an off-white quartz would look fine here. It looks like it'd be a $10K Quartz project.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Jan 8, 2009
747 posts
399 upvotes
GTA
I would think that changing out the counters (and you could do the backsplash as well) PLUS painting the kitchen (that wall colour is doing the kitchen no favours and probably adding to your sense of it being too traditional) would make a huge difference.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2010
331 posts
465 upvotes
GTA
jrbb0309 wrote: I would think that changing out the counters (and you could do the backsplash as well) PLUS painting the kitchen (that wall colour is doing the kitchen no favours and probably adding to your sense of it being too traditional) would make a huge difference.
Thanks! We also think that just doing the paint + countertops can be an easy win

Do you know how involved it is to replace the tiles with some nice big white tiles? Do the bottom cabinets need to be uprooted ? What’s the appx cost to install 24x24 porcelain tiles over kitchen like this?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4054 posts
2815 upvotes
lolbeast wrote: Thanks. We are not fond of these brown colors and the house price is very high (for us). Our thinking is that for this much money, it should be a house that we really love. Will take some more consideration ! Thanks everyone.
I'm confused - have you already purchased this house or you're looking to buy it but wanting to know options? If it's the latter, I personally would not buy the house - I agree with Product Guy's approach. If you have already purchased it, I would first change the paint colour before making any other changes to see how much difference that makes - it's the easiest and cheapest option. If it's still not the look you want, then I would look at the replacing the countertops so it's in the inline with the lightest colour in the floor tile - otherwise you're going to have to many different colours going on. Not sure why original owners chose black countertops with brown cabinets.
Sep 29, 2015
271 posts
72 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
lolbeast wrote: If we just replaced the Black countertops with some nice white Quartz, do you guys think would it brighten up the look?
Unfortunately to do the counter top you will also have to do the backsplash as it sits on top of the counter top.

As well the new countertop wont look right with the backsplash color. the whole thing will scream NEW COUNTER! OLD KITCHEN!!! BLAHHHHH Or to me anyway.

You should replace the backsplash too.. But then the floor wont match anything (only thing the floor matches is the backsplash) and will look old. So then you have to do the floor.

But yes doing the countertop white, backsplash white and painting the walls will do tons to brighten it up.
Sep 29, 2015
271 posts
72 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
also im not sure there is enough light in that kitchen. Pendents would help to bring the light down, but i dont think the pot lights is enough.
Sep 29, 2015
271 posts
72 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
lolbeast wrote: Do you know how involved it is to replace the tiles with some nice big white tiles? Do the bottom cabinets need to be uprooted ? What’s the appx cost to install 24x24 porcelain tiles over kitchen like this?
You could estimate somewhere around 5-10k for the tile floor, that large of tile may not be possible depending on how flat the original floor is.

LVT would probably be half that. if you choose properly most people wouldnt know the difference unless they get on there hands and knees. You would also reduce transition issues to the tile as well.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1318 posts
511 upvotes
I re-read this thread and the OP is thinking about buying this home and is already thinking/planning of how to change it because they don't like it. The thing about buying a house, unless they've recently updated it and it's "trending" many times there are going to be areas of the house that you don't like - style, layout, etc.

The thing about that kitchen is that is HUGE, but the layout would annoy me. The fridge is on the opposite side of the kitchen from the sink and the stove is in the middle. So much for having a functional kitchen work triangle.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1423 posts
520 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
grumble wrote: If you want white, then you can hire someone to do it, it'll be a few grand (I'd guess 6k?) and they'll do all the work, including door removal and professional spraying with a catalyzed finish. It'll hold up fairly well. You can also DIY, which will save you most of the money, but you have to be careful to do it properly - use high quality products and take your time. I recommend a final topcoat of a poly to really improve durability once the underlying paint's cured. I recommend against full gloss - it's easy to clean, but it's a pretty intense look for a transitional style kitchen, opt for semi-gloss instead (or even satin). Don't go below satin as you'll run into durability and stain resistance issues relative to the high-resin finishes.

Given your kitchen leans on yellows and browns, and yellowish colours don't look nice next to untinted white, you'll probably want to redo the countertop, backsplash and floor as well or it'll look bad. Or just don't change the cabinets, they are actually really nice.
I was quoted upwards of $5K to professionally paint/spray my cabinets and my kitchen is about 1/3 the size of this one. That was about 5 years ago.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4710 posts
1147 upvotes
Either do a complete kitchen reno or find another house.

Worst thing you could do is try doing this yourself watching YouTube videos. You've got way too many cabinets and too many exposed-side large cabinets. Unless done right it'll look like s**t.

My vote, look for another house. Reno in one part of the house almost always leads to fixes/renos in other parts too.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky