How to change industry into IT?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2020 2:56 pm
[OP]
Sep 24, 2012
2 posts
Toronto

How to change industry into IT?

I am an Executive Assistant - (And not to praise, but we are great Project Managers/PCOs) I am not qualified for (Except a Bachelors in Commerce)
I wish to change my industry towards IT - I need direction where I could start
What courses ? - Some suggested PMP; some suggested BA / QA Analyst.

I want some cheap, yet, certified courses - Lots of people in India doing these courses for less than a bomb of a salary.

Looking for direction of courses - looking for courses (cheap,yet certified)

Also, I know many will say what interests you - I have changed many industries in my role - supported CEOs, National Leaders and Partners (for Global MNCs) (But these salaries are Skimpy)

I want to go to $100k in the next 2 years max. Help me out here guys!
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1807 posts
1819 upvotes
Anjani wrote: I am an Executive Assistant - (And not to praise, but we are great Project Managers/PCOs) I am not qualified for (Except a Bachelors in Commerce)

I want some cheap, yet, certified courses - Lots of people in India doing these courses for less than a bomb of a salary.

Also, I know many will say what interests you - I have changed many industries in my role - supported CEOs, National Leaders and Partners (for Global MNCs) (But these salaries are Skimpy)

What you are asking for is not achievable. You will not be able to get to $100k in 2 years starting from an Executive Assistant job. If you switch to BA or project management role you will start at the entry level for these jobs as you don’t have the experience. So it would take you 7-10 years to get to $100k.
May 2, 2013
291 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
Here you go:

Start with: getting CAPM, this is associate level certification. Will give you information on what exactly it is.
Courses on Udemy sometimes go to $15 per course. However, Official CAPM exam will cost you around $300.
https://www.udemy.com/course/capm-pmbok6/
https://www.pmi.org/certifications/type ... ciate-capm

If you already have degree, I would start with PMP.
PMP exam cost is same. Again, cost for the course will go down, look for coupons on google.
https://www.udemy.com/course/pmp-pmbok6-35-pdus/

If you don't meet the eligibility requirement for the PMP, I would start with CAPM and then go for PMP.
I would also train for Scrum, I have not had experience with it, main reason is because I don't like scrum people.
https://www.scrum.org/resources/scrum-guide

DM me if you need more info/help.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3002 upvotes
ProductGuy wrote: What you are asking for is not achievable. You will not be able to get to $100k in 2 years starting from an Executive Assistant job. If you switch to BA or project management role you will start at the entry level for these jobs as you don’t have the experience. So it would take you 7-10 years to get to $100k.
I agree. A Senior Project Manager in IT, in the financial industry, in Toronto, can make ~ $100 K salary and up. At the very least 7 years experience... it would require technical training / experience as part of those 7 years...

OP, also keep in mind that there are plenty of candidates like this. Successful PMs have to have specific knowledge on top of everything (like Salesforce, financial applications, regulatory compliance, etc.)

Good luck!
16907 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Remember, it's not about what the job requirements are. It's about what your competition has to offer...and your competition likely has a lot more than what the job is asking for. The reality of the job market in IT.
Last edited by JayLove06 on Jul 22nd, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
55995 posts
20905 upvotes
OP is driven and will get what he/she wants in no time.

How much is Spotify paying for these kinds of positions?

Hairdresser's sister and a friend's daughter works for SHOP, but don't know in what function.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1807 posts
1819 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: OP is driven and will get what he/she wants in no time.

How much is Spotify paying for these kinds of positions?

Hairdresser's sister and a friend's daughter works for SHOP, but don't know in what function.
Sarcasm?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
55995 posts
20905 upvotes
ProductGuy wrote: Sarcasm?
Nope.

Maybe Shopify can get OP to where he wants.

I don't make jest on these career moves.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1907 posts
2147 upvotes
Being able to make things happen with a senior executive as your boss, does not necessarily make someone suited for project management. The command and control approach to getting things does doesn't really work as well outside of the executive ranks. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect of EAs as they really do make things happen at a leadership level. But just want you to be realistic as others have pointed out. BAs/QAs/PMs can all reach 100K but that won't happen from an entry level salary over the course of two years; each of the roles have a lot of knowledge and experience to get into that salary range.

If it is strictly a dollar motive, sales would be a more realistic route.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1807 posts
1819 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Nope.

Maybe Shopify can get OP to where he wants.

I don't make jest on these career moves.
Yeah, Shopify is giving away $100k jobs like cupcakes to anyone who walks in through the front door... OP can just go get a cupcake lol
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
55995 posts
20905 upvotes
ProductGuy wrote: Yeah, Shopify is giving away $100k jobs like cupcakes to anyone who walks in through the front door... OP can just go get a cupcake lol
Lol. Who said that but you.

If you cannot do it, don't assume others can't.

To my ignore list you go.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1296 posts
657 upvotes
Torontario
Anjani wrote: I am an Executive Assistant - (And not to praise, but we are great Project Managers/PCOs) I am not qualified for (Except a Bachelors in Commerce)

I would rephrase what @ProductGuy told you in a different insight: I have seen such transitions happening when your immediate boss/leader plugs from your current role and into the PM group
.... and every time the transition is challenging from breath and depth of experience perspective.

Your best bet is non-technology project management - and for salaries I can't speak
Nov 4, 2012
883 posts
350 upvotes
ProductGuy wrote: What you are asking for is not achievable. You will not be able to get to $100k in 2 years starting from an Executive Assistant job. If you switch to BA or project management role you will start at the entry level for these jobs as you don’t have the experience. So it would take you 7-10 years to get to $100k.
I feel this is a very negative comment. I reached 100K in 1.5 - 2 years, but it took a lot of effort.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1807 posts
1819 upvotes
craigslist123 wrote: I feel this is a very negative comment. I reached 100K in 1.5 - 2 years, but it took a lot of effort.
So you are saying without any work experience as an IT project manager you walked into the door of a company and within 2 years you were making $100k as a project manager?

My comment is realistic not negative.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)