Home & Garden

How to change the look of chain link fence?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2017 5:09 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2015
1967 posts
919 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON

How to change the look of chain link fence?

So, Im looking for ideas about how to revive/refresh the look of my backyard fence. 2 sides (right and back) are chain link, 4 feet high, while the left side has a wood fence (that will need some repairs anyways).. so, speaking with a friend he showed me pictures of a chain link fence that had lattice panels attached to it, to save costs and improve the look. I never thought or heard of that before.
Any suggestions?
Andre Oliveira - Mortgage Agent at Valuemortgage
2018 Top 20 National - Mortgage Intelligence
FSCO # 10428
13 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
527 upvotes
You can get plastic strips, called slats, that you weave into the chain link to provide privacy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2015
1967 posts
919 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Interesting.. never seen this before. A quick google search showed some interesting style, including one that imitates a hedge...

Only problem with this is the fact the fence is kind of low, at 4 feet high only... These slats would not add any height, but would help i,prove the look anyways.
FSCO # 10428
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2210 posts
1438 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Do you like grapes or kiwi fruit? My suggestion is to grow either or both of the fruit species. Within a couple of years the vines would cover the fence itself and you will have a bonus fruit crop. As for Kiwi you have to grow the 'Arctic" variety and have at least one male plant for every 4 female plants, incidentally the Kiwi is very aromatic when in bloom.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Jan 21, 2008
389 posts
244 upvotes
Plant a cedar hedge, they can grow 20ft plus
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
527 upvotes
True, being 4 ft it wouldn't really be private, with screening or not. It would hide whatever some of what might be placed near the fences.

This particular outfit is in Ottawa but it looks as though the height can be extended. They only show 1' extension here but check with a local fence supplier, maybe they can provide 2' if you're interested in that. I would think DIY would be pretty straightforward.

http://www.fenceall.com/chain-link-fenc ... -existing/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2015
1967 posts
919 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Thanks folks. Growing fruits/etc will not work as we are busy people and dont really have the time to trim/cut/etc those things. The height of the fence does not bother me really, it is the look that bothers me, since it looks old and "cheap".
Im trying to find a local dealer that sells those slats, but so far.. nothing.
FSCO # 10428
Apr 14, 2015
580 posts
174 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB
Those slats will change the look of your fence, but I'm not sure they will improve it. Depends what you like, of course.
Apr 4, 2012
262 posts
140 upvotes
Laval, Que
Rona in your area has it

http://www.rona.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/se ... &langId=-1

valuemortgage wrote: Thanks folks. Growing fruits/etc will not work as we are busy people and dont really have the time to trim/cut/etc those things. The height of the fence does not bother me really, it is the look that bothers me, since it looks old and "cheap".
Im trying to find a local dealer that sells those slats, but so far.. nothing.
Sep 19, 2014
457 posts
234 upvotes
Markham, ON
OT but I hate neighbors who insist they want chain link fence because it is cheaper.
Makes the place look like a prison or some ghetto.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5686 posts
3434 upvotes
blackn54 wrote: OT but I hate neighbors who insist they want chain link fence because it is cheaper.
Not when done nicely with plants, shrubs and trees. Wood can look equally as bad or worse.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8938 posts
719 upvotes
wronguy wrote: Plant a cedar hedge, they can grow 20ft plus
Agree. When the cedars grow and dense enough , you won't see the metal fences much.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8938 posts
719 upvotes
blackn54 wrote: OT but I hate neighbors who insist they want chain link fence because it is cheaper.
The worst case I have seen is that a home owner put wrought iron on the entrance of their front porch and every single window. The home looks like a heavily guard prison lol
Banned
Apr 18, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
Yes, lattice panel would definitely help to improve the look of your fence. You can also paint your chain-link fencing, which is a quick and affordable method to enhance its appearance.