Automotive

How to check is the led bulb DOT approved?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2021 12:03 pm
[OP]
Oct 29, 2008
565 posts
263 upvotes
L4J

The Q is regarding "The Best LED Headlights" article on redflagdeals homepage review.
For example, according amazon.ca seller is stating:
Special Features Cougar Motor Technology H11(H8 H9) led headlight,Superior CREE led chips,Dual Turbo Cooling fan,Plug-N-Play,IP67 Waterproof,Street legal,DOT,E-Mark,ROHS,CE,FCC.etc Approved,3 Yr Warranty.

but I'm looking for official information.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5995 posts
671 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
if it lights up and looks kinda white to you, it's DOT approved.
--
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6134 posts
4743 upvotes
Are you worried about not passing inspection or something? Or that it starts a fire?

I have never had cops worrying about headlights unless they are out or if you happened to be around a bunch of hooligans.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2008
565 posts
263 upvotes
L4J
m4gician wrote: if it lights up and looks kinda white to you, it's DOT approved.
Yes, it's white.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2008
565 posts
263 upvotes
L4J
Xtrema wrote: Are you worried about not passing inspection or something? Or that it starts a fire?

I have never had cops worrying about headlights unless they are out or if you happened to be around a bunch of hooligans.
Right now I don't worry about not passing inspection or something. Just trying to avoid a ticket.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4185 posts
3473 upvotes
Oakville, ON
St.Genis wrote: How to check is the led bulb DOT approved?

The Q is regarding "The Best LED Headlights" article on redflagdeals homepage review.
Special Features Cougar Motor Technology H11(H8 H9) led headlight,Superior CREE led chips,Dual Turbo Cooling fan,Plug-N-Play,IP67 Waterproof,Street legal,DOT,E-Mark,ROHS,CE,FCC.etc Approved,3 Yr Warranty.

There's no way to check because the regulations require the manufacturer to self-certify. Therefore, there is no DOT or NHTSA website where you can cross-reference a DOT approval for aftermarket car parts/components.

And even it there were such a thing, it would only be compliant if you were doing a like-for-like replacement where you were replacing a factory original LED bulb with an aftermarket LED bulb. Same for halogen to halogen or HID to HID. But it wouldn't be compliant to mix-and-match an LED bulb into a headlight housing/lens that was designed for a halogen bulb because you're going to cause glare and hotspot issues by using a bulb not designed for the headlight system.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2008
565 posts
263 upvotes
L4J
CanadianLurker wrote: There's no way to check because the regulations require the manufacturer to self-certify. Therefore, there is no DOT or NHTSA website where you can cross-reference a DOT approval for aftermarket car parts/components.

And even it there were such a thing, it would only be compliant if you were doing a like-for-like replacement where you were replacing a factory original LED bulb with an aftermarket LED bulb. Same for halogen to halogen or HID to HID. But it wouldn't be compliant to mix-and-match an LED bulb into a headlight housing/lens that was designed for a halogen bulb because you're going to cause glare and hotspot issues by using a bulb not designed for the headlight system.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/h11- ... 00504.html

This product fits your
2007 Toyota Camry
H11 Sylvania ZEVO® LED Headlight Bulbs, 2-pk

FEATURES
Easy to install Plug-and-Play technology that allows you to replace your dim halogen bulbs with premium LED technology
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3905 posts
2845 upvotes
GTA
St.Genis wrote: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/h11- ... 00504.html

This product fits your
2007 Toyota Camry

FEATURES
Easy to install Plug-and-Play technology that allows you to replace your dim halogen bulbs with premium LED technology
You have disclaimer on top of that page - Canadian tire not responsible for use of this product.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2008
565 posts
263 upvotes
L4J
I don't recognize an any disclaimer on top of my page link.
Disclaimer is appearing only when "This product does not fit your 2007 Toyota Camry" but it doesn't appear when "This product fits your"

This product does not fit your
2007 Toyota Camry
Shop for products that fit View disclaimer
H11 Ignite LED Headlight Bulbs, 2-pk
vs
This product fits your
2007 Toyota Camry
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6134 posts
4743 upvotes
St.Genis wrote: I don't recognize an any disclaimer on top of my page link.
Disclaimer is appearing only when "This product does not fit your 2007 Toyota Camry" but it doesn't appear when "This product fits your"

2007 Toyota Camry
vs
This product fits your
2007 Toyota Camry
Click on the View Disclaimer as bolded and you will get this:
When selecting accessories and/or parts, please make sure you have addressed all sizing, fitting and other requirements for such accessories and/or parts to meet your vehicle's or product’s original equipment/parts requirements. This tool should not be your sole basis for any purchase decision and is available for users as a guide only. We strongly encourage you to review your owner’s manual for specific information such as the model and compatibility and consult a trained professionals for assistance in selecting the appropriate accessories and/or parts prior to making any purchase decision. The information conveyed through this tool is not guaranteed to be error free or validated by manufacturers. The decision on what accessories and/or parts to purchase lies solely with the user. Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited and its affiliates and associate dealers, are not liable for the use of this tool or your purchase decisions. Your use of this tool constitutes acceptance of this disclaimer.
After all, it's a very standard "we are not responsible on how you use this product" disclaimer.

I don't know much about these headlights retrofits, my mod days are well behind me. You may want to check youtube channels on review of every model to see how each brand performs if you are to save $ ordering from Amazon. I believe DOT approval isn't a big deal but pattern, brightness and heat dissipation is what you want to check. You don't want to cook your housing buying inferior bulbs and being too bright in a halogen reflector housing may attract unwanted attention.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
1168 posts
640 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Even fake Chinese bulbs have DOT printed them on - it’s Amazon you get what you pay for. If the price is too good to be true it probably is.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4185 posts
3473 upvotes
Oakville, ON
St.Genis wrote: I don't recognize an any disclaimer on top of my page link.

2007 Toyota Camry
vs
This product fits your
2007 Toyota Camry
The H11 Sylvania ZEVO® LED Headlight Bulbs, 2-pk may fit your Camry, however, that doesn't mean that it is appropriate for use. Your Camry's headlights are built to accommodate a Halogen bulb. You should replace Halogen bulbs with Halogen bulbs, not LED. There may very well be more light output from the Sylvanias (not to mention more likely to be a quality product compared to the bulbs quoted in the OP), however, you are probably going to throw more glare into oncoming traffic and may even appear to oncoming traffic that you have your high beams on. This is because a Halogen headlight unit has a lens and reflectors that are built for use with a Halogen bulb, once you put an LED in there the bulb's output wont be properly controlled by the leans or reflectors.

If you want more light buy a new set of Halogen bulbs and look at getting your lenses cleaned - i suspect that after 14 yrs on the road the lenses have yellowed somewhat and are pitted. Getting them cleaned and polished would be helpful to improve your lighting at night.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6134 posts
4743 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: If you want more light buy a new set of Halogen bulbs and look at getting your lenses cleaned - i suspect that after 14 yrs on the road the lenses have yellowed somewhat and are pitted. Getting them cleaned and polished would be helpful to improve your lighting at night.
IMO, I agree with this. It's 2007 Camry, don't bother throwing that much $ at it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8598 posts
5469 upvotes
Kootenays
People think headlights are jewelry these days and retrofit incorrect bulbs, becoming obnoxious to everyone else on the road. I'd love to see regulations and proper enforcement to put an end to this.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1147 posts
1380 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Toss some new halogens in it and call it a day.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1406 posts
466 upvotes
Ottawa
CanadianLurker wrote: There's no way to check because the regulations require the manufacturer to self-certify.
+1 this.

There is no such thing as DOT approved because they don't approve anything. They set the standards and the companies declared whether they conform to them or not. Because of that DOT is basically meaningless. You can put a DOT stamp on a helmet made out of paper and won't get sued because you can claim it did not break any regulations as a paper cup.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16038 posts
4870 upvotes
London
St.Genis wrote: How to check is the led bulb DOT approved?

No, this would not meet DOT Specs.
It's definitely been faked.
You can't have the same single replacement bulb that fits all H8, H9 and H11 because the legal ones are all keyed differently for each type
Nov 20, 2014
226 posts
104 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
CanadianLurker wrote: The H11 Sylvania ZEVO® LED Headlight Bulbs, 2-pk may fit your Camry, however, that doesn't mean that it is appropriate for use. Your Camry's headlights are built to accommodate a Halogen bulb. You should replace Halogen bulbs with Halogen bulbs, not LED. There may very well be more light output from the Sylvanias (not to mention more likely to be a quality product compared to the bulbs quoted in the OP), however, you are probably going to throw more glare into oncoming traffic and may even appear to oncoming traffic that you have your high beams on. This is because a Halogen headlight unit has a lens and reflectors that are built for use with a Halogen bulb, once you put an LED in there the bulb's output wont be properly controlled by the leans or reflectors.

If you want more light buy a new set of Halogen bulbs and look at getting your lenses cleaned - i suspect that after 14 yrs on the road the lenses have yellowed somewhat and are pitted. Getting them cleaned and polished would be helpful to improve your lighting at night.
I've had these exact bulbs in my Accord with projectors for the last 18 months. Not worth the price IMO, its passable in good conditions with clean headlights. Terrible in the rain or when theres the least bit of dirt on the lens. Stick with halogens or silverstar ultras if that makes you feel better. The latter will definitely be brighter.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36081 posts
10173 upvotes
Ottawa
"OEM HID lighting systems that are supplied with the vehicles from the factory are DOT compliant. Aftermarket LED or HID lighting kits are not DOT compliant. The only exception are round or rectangular sealed beam LED headlights which have passed DOT, SAE, E9 requirements."
https://www.hidvisioncanada.ca/pages/do ... ation.html
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.