• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2020 2:48 pm
[OP]
Mar 12, 2015
60 posts
14 upvotes
North York, ON

How to check property line of a house

My mom is building a fence in a corner house and she wants to know where exactly the property line is so that she does t build on city land. We are in Toronto. She says I can get a copy by going to City of toronto office. Does anyone know how this works? Thanks
4 replies
Jan 10, 2017
296 posts
220 upvotes
https://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgebas ... urvey.html

It usually costs money to obtain the plans. Check the link above for some links, but definitely try the land registry office - they have one on file for the property. There is also another web site, I think it’s called protectyourboundries.ca that will show a preview, might be big enough to get some details or at least will tell you if it’s on file though it costs way more.

You may want to also contact a land surveyor to get them to survey it and put the stakes in the property lines so that you can be assured your not building too close or on their property. This will also cost some $$$ but is the most accurate way.

ps you should also call Ontario One Call at 1-800-400-2255 or go to OntarioOneCall.ca to schedule their free locating service at least five days before digging. You don’t want to accidentally hit an underground line by accident.
Last edited by Guest555747636 on Jul 29th, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5345 posts
1995 upvotes
Debtario
Get a metal detector and find the survey stakes at the corners of the property. If they are missing, damaged, or have been tampered with you'll need a new survey and it will cost at least $1K. For a permanent structure it's an absolute must, but if it's a cheap fence you wouldn't mind potentially tearing down if asked it's up to her if she wants to eyeball it and take a shot.

There are unofficial ways to have the city or Ontario one call find the property line for you, sometimes the city will do it themselves when they are planning on doing roadwork, but it's extremely YMMV depending on who you talk to. I've found the office/admin staff rarely helpful, it's when you see the crews near you you can have a chat and see if they can help you out, just to get a good idea where the property line is.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Jun 26, 2019
563 posts
450 upvotes
andalou wrote: My mom is building a fence in a corner house and she wants to know where exactly the property line is so that she does t build on city land. We are in Toronto. She says I can get a copy by going to City of toronto office. Does anyone know how this works? Thanks
Your best/easiest step is to dig up where you think the corner is and use a metal detector to find your Iron Bars. This tells you where the corner of your property is?

How old is your house? The chances of the City having a lot specific plan are pretty low, and street plan profiles will not capture the area you need.

You can freely download Toronto GIS data, such as parcel lines, road lines and building footprints. Alternatively you could maybe use something like Toronto Maps V2.0 and scale stuff off of there since it has your property lines.

All in all, without finding the Iron Bars, you're basically going to be scaling off of some fixed point as best you can. You'll never get it right on without the IBs or a Surveyor.