Travel

How to claim Air Canada voucher due to COVID?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2021 11:56 am
[OP]
Nov 30, 2017
265 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto

How to claim Air Canada voucher due to COVID?

So we had international travel June 3rd that was canceled due to COVID.
We had the reservation through Expedia. Last email they sent us is that we have credit with the airline (AC), but they're still working to understand expiry date of the credit. I never received info after that.

From research I understand that AC had allowed customers to request no expiry, fully transferable vouchers for canceled travel within that period. Question is how do I ask for that?
It's not clear from the media publications AC did, nor on AC or Expedia websites. I'm not even sure what's the validity on my current credit, but from research it says 24 months, although I never received confirmation from Expedia about that.

Thanks.
37 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10965 posts
2082 upvotes
Toronto
JKCanada wrote: So we had international travel June 3rd that was canceled due to COVID.
We had the reservation through Expedia. Last email they sent us is that we have credit with the airline (AC), but they're still working to understand expiry date of the credit. I never received info after that.

From research I understand that AC had allowed customers to request no expiry, fully transferable vouchers for canceled travel within that period. Question is how do I ask for that?
It's not clear from the media publications AC did, nor on AC or Expedia websites. I'm not even sure what's the validity on my current credit, but from research it says 24 months, although I never received confirmation from Expedia about that.

Thanks.
For me I booked a trip to vegas via pctravel (through Air Canada) with my cousin and his fiance in April 2020. Obviously was cancelled, when vegas re opened and everything appeared to be going well we rebooked for Oct 2020. As the date got closer I called to inquire about any penalty for cancelling, was told it would be $100 per person but to wait till x date to see if anything changes.

I called on x date and was told I would get a call back in 1 hour.

1 hour later they called me back saying there was no penalty to pay and that the credit was good indefinitely.

For your case it really shouldn't be too hard to get a proper answer I would think.
Apr 7, 2019
866 posts
994 upvotes
Following. When I called them in April, they sent me below email mentioning that my credit will expire in April 2021. I think Air Canada was giving vouchers valid only for 1 year at that time.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Expedia.ca regarding the cancellation of your airline reservation with Expedia.

Kindly find below the details of how to redeem your credit with Expedia & Air Canada.

Although the original tickets purchased are non-refundable, the airline allows you the option to use the value of these tickets towards a future reservation. Your future itinerary must comply with the following conditions:

The new itinerary must be booked with the same airline; the airline you are booked with is Air Canada.

The same passengers must be traveling; Name of passenger is 1.XXXXXXXX 2.XXXXXXXXX

The new itinerary must be re-booked and Completed before 30 April 2021

Other key details to note:

Original Ticket Number: XXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX

Total held in credit (per passenger): 712.84 CAD
Change penalty (per passenger): C$0.00+applicable GST (subject to change by airline)
***The penalty amount cannot be paid from any residual credit value***

Please refer to your online Expedia.ca Itinerary #XXXXXXXXX, for the complete details of your original trip. To access your online itinerary, go to www.expedia.ca and click on “My Trips”.

When rebooking your itinerary, there may be a difference in fare. Should the fare of the new itinerary be higher than the original purchase - the difference along with the change penalty quoted above will be collected at the time of rebooking. Please note this change fee is subject to change. However, should the fare of the new itinerary be lower, please note the residual credit amount is lost, and only the applicable change penalty will be collected.

When you are ready to use your travel credit, we request that you save an itinerary within your Expedia.ca account. It is important that you only save the itinerary and do not purchase the new flight. Since prices are not guaranteed until purchased, it is in your best interest to call us as soon as you have saved your new trip. Please call us with your new itinerary number and the Expedia Booking ID as noted above for us to complete the reservation and issue the tickets.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions. Our Customer Support Representatives are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week should you have any questions or need clarification on the rules and restrictions of your travel credit.

Thank you for choosing Expedia.ca.

Expedia Customer Support Team
1-888-EXPEDIA (1-888-397-3342)or 1 (613)-780-1386
Expedia.ca
[OP]
Nov 30, 2017
265 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
mr2711 wrote: Following. When I called them in April, they sent me below email mentioning that my credit will expire in April 2021. I think Air Canada was giving vouchers valid only for 1 year at that time.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Expedia.ca regarding the cancellation of your airline reservation with Expedia.

Kindly find below the details of how to redeem your credit with Expedia & Air Canada.

Although the original tickets purchased are non-refundable, the airline allows you the option to use the value of these tickets towards a future reservation. Your future itinerary must comply with the following conditions:

The new itinerary must be booked with the same airline; the airline you are booked with is Air Canada.

The same passengers must be traveling; Name of passenger is 1.XXXXXXXX 2.XXXXXXXXX

The new itinerary must be re-booked and Completed before 30 April 2021

Other key details to note:

Original Ticket Number: XXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX

Total held in credit (per passenger): 712.84 CAD
Change penalty (per passenger): C$0.00+applicable GST (subject to change by airline)
***The penalty amount cannot be paid from any residual credit value***

Please refer to your online Expedia.ca Itinerary #XXXXXXXXX, for the complete details of your original trip. To access your online itinerary, go to www.expedia.ca and click on “My Trips”.

When rebooking your itinerary, there may be a difference in fare. Should the fare of the new itinerary be higher than the original purchase - the difference along with the change penalty quoted above will be collected at the time of rebooking. Please note this change fee is subject to change. However, should the fare of the new itinerary be lower, please note the residual credit amount is lost, and only the applicable change penalty will be collected.

When you are ready to use your travel credit, we request that you save an itinerary within your Expedia.ca account. It is important that you only save the itinerary and do not purchase the new flight. Since prices are not guaranteed until purchased, it is in your best interest to call us as soon as you have saved your new trip. Please call us with your new itinerary number and the Expedia Booking ID as noted above for us to complete the reservation and issue the tickets.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions. Our Customer Support Representatives are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week should you have any questions or need clarification on the rules and restrictions of your travel credit.

Thank you for choosing Expedia.ca.

Expedia Customer Support Team
1-888-EXPEDIA (1-888-397-3342)or 1 (613)-780-1386
Expedia.ca
Do you mind telling me the email address that they sent this from?
I vaguely remember receiving another communication from Expedia on the expiry date of my credit with AC, but I never found anything else from Expedia or Air Canada in my email inbox now, even when searching for the reference and itinerary numbers.

The question is, with AC revising their policy to offer indefinite transferable vouchers instead of airline credit, how can we claim such vouchers?
Apr 7, 2019
866 posts
994 upvotes
JKCanada wrote: Do you mind telling me the email address that they sent this from?
I vaguely remember receiving another communication from Expedia on the expiry date of my credit with AC, but I never found anything else from Expedia or Air Canada in my email inbox now, even when searching for the reference and itinerary numbers.

The question is, with AC revising their policy to offer indefinite transferable vouchers instead of airline credit, how can we claim such vouchers?
support@service.expedia.ca

Call them and ask them to issue voucher indefinite transferable vouchers. They should be in sync with Air Canada policies. I was planning to contact Expedia in Jan 2021 as email they sent me had voucher expiry date of April 2021.
May 27, 2012
217 posts
81 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
For us... they converted our tickets to credit voucher / gift card .... they do
Not expire and can be given to other people

They also had credit option (no refund) but that is limited to the person issued and I think it had to be used within 24 months????
[OP]
Nov 30, 2017
265 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
mr2711 wrote: Hello @JKCanada , Wondering if you got any new information from Expedia. If yes, then please share.
I got in touch with Expedia chat Dec 1st. They told me they'll email AC about it and I should expect AC to reply to me directly. The chat agent mentioned it's not guaranteed but I suspect they say that to everybody. I'll update here once I hear back.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1167 posts
637 upvotes
Ripley
My son booked flights through Air Canada in March. Canceled them both and never heard from Air Canada again about his credit. He called in November and was told to fill out the form on the Air Canada website but don't expect to hear back. He went around and around with the phone CSR and the online forms for a couple of weeks with no resolution. So I tweeted Air Canada. Within 1/2 hour on a Saturday night he had his full credit and used it to book 2 new flights. And he got a really good deal on his new flights. It's ridiculous that social media works better than talking to an actual person on the phone. If you don't get a resolution soon - try Twitter.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2017
265 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
zeddy wrote: My son booked flights through Air Canada in March. Canceled them both and never heard from Air Canada again about his credit. He called in November and was told to fill out the form on the Air Canada website but don't expect to hear back. He went around and around with the phone CSR and the online forms for a couple of weeks with no resolution. So I tweeted Air Canada. Within 1/2 hour on a Saturday night he had his full credit and used it to book 2 new flights. And he got a really good deal on his new flights. It's ridiculous that social media works better than talking to an actual person on the phone. If you don't get a resolution soon - try Twitter.
Thanks for letting us know. Hope it won't come to that.

I contacted Expedia again as I haven't heard back from AC. They confirmed that they sent my request to AC, and said processing time on AC's end seem to be in the 6-8 weeks range. No sweat. They also confirmed that my AC credit is valid for 24 months from date of cancelation.
Dec 20, 2018
8 posts
mississauga
Hi everyone,

I have yet to receive my voucher from Air Canada, it has been 2 months now.

I can't find a customer service line or email to call. I tried to tweet as well. No luck.

Appreciate any contact details that have worked. I had booked my trip to Japan directly from Air Canada.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1294 posts
636 upvotes
Seriously, just call your credit card company for a chargeback.
psquare08 wrote: Hi everyone,

I have yet to receive my voucher from Air Canada, it has been 2 months now.

I can't find a customer service line or email to call. I tried to tweet as well. No luck.

Appreciate any contact details that have worked. I had booked my trip to Japan directly from Air Canada.
Dec 20, 2018
8 posts
mississauga
Can I still do that if this trip was booked back in January/ February?

Any pointers I should know before calling?
Oct 31, 2012
555 posts
748 upvotes
Toronto
Chickennbeans wrote: Seriously, just call your credit card company for a chargeback.
They already accepted the voucher. That chargeback will be useless
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1294 posts
636 upvotes
That should be added to a RFD code of conduct. Thy shall never accept a voucher unless it is without expiry and the value exceeds original payment. LOL.
donttoewsmebro wrote: They already accepted the voucher. That chargeback will be useless
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8681 posts
1565 upvotes
Vancouver
donttoewsmebro wrote: They already accepted the voucher. That chargeback will be useless
I had to take a credit with cheapoair to avoid no show on westjet to europe and since Westjet isn’t flying there anymore not much I could do. Submitted a bunch of eu261 complaints with west jet and they said doesn’t apply.

Called Cibc aventura did chargeback and everything is closed. I’m ethical so won’t use the voucher but these days I wouldn’t say anything is black amd white.

Worth the phone call
Autocorrect sucks
Apr 7, 2019
866 posts
994 upvotes
JKCanada wrote: Thanks for letting us know. Hope it won't come to that.

I contacted Expedia again as I haven't heard back from AC. They confirmed that they sent my request to AC, and said processing time on AC's end seem to be in the 6-8 weeks range. No sweat. They also confirmed that my AC credit is valid for 24 months from date of cancelation.
Happy New Year. Just wondering if you heard anything back from AC or Expedia?
[OP]
Nov 30, 2017
265 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
mr2711 wrote: Happy New Year. Just wondering if you heard anything back from AC or Expedia?
Happy new year! Nothing yet, tbh I'm not too concerned as the plan (COVID permitting) is to do the same trip sometime this year. But will still chase this out of principle and because who knows what the state of travel is going to be like in 6 months- if I don't hear back by end of January I'll call AC directly.
Apr 7, 2019
866 posts
994 upvotes
JKCanada wrote: Happy new year! Nothing yet, tbh I'm not too concerned as the plan (COVID permitting) is to do the same trip sometime this year. But will still chase this out of principle and because who knows what the state of travel is going to be like in 6 months- if I don't hear back by end of January I'll call AC directly.
So I had received email from Expedia in April 2020 along with details on how I can redeem credits with Expedia/Air Canada. Credits were expiring in April 2021. I replied to same email yesterday morning and received below reply overnight :

"Please be advised that the Airlines is offering two more opportunities on your Future Travel Credit as follow:

Convert your tickets to Air Canada Voucher that is fully transferable with no Expiration date.

Convert your tickets to Aeroplan Miles with an additional 65% bonus miles."

After much googling came to conclusion that AC voucher with no Expiration date would be better option since I am not an experienced Aeroplan Miles collector. Requested Expedia to get AC voucher with no expiry date. Will post in this thread once I hear back from Expedia.