Personal Finance

How to claim caregiver for parents as infirm dependent?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2019 7:28 pm
Jul 5, 2006
480 posts
407 upvotes

How to claim caregiver for parents as infirm dependent?

I searched around and found a signed statement from a medical doctor is required to claim this credit, indicating when the impairment began, what the duration of h impairment is expected to be, and that because of a mental or physical impairment, the person is dependent on you. I checked with their family doctor and was told she would sign if I provided the statement. I wonder how to write this statement which is acceptable by both the doctor and CRA.
Last edited by right4you on Mar 31st, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
Jun 2, 2012
329 posts
319 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I haven’t encountered a signed doctors statement requirement myself. I would call the CRA to ask if there is a form. There is always a specific form if one is required.

Also just make sure when you file taxes the parent lives with you and that their taxes indicate that they live with you too. Can’t claim it if they live somewhere else.
Jul 5, 2006
480 posts
407 upvotes
gemenichic wrote: I haven’t encountered a signed doctors statement requirement myself. I would call the CRA to ask if there is a form. There is always a specific form if one is required.

Also just make sure when you file taxes the parent lives with you and that their taxes indicate that they live with you too. Can’t claim it if they live somewhere else.
They don't have to live with you.
Jun 2, 2012
329 posts
319 upvotes
NORTH YORK
My personal experience has been that if the infirm dependent files a tax return at a different address, your deduction will get denied by the cra.

Maybe different if they live in a care home. However, if they can live on their own they are not infirm enough for you to claim them as a dependent.
Jul 5, 2006
480 posts
407 upvotes
gemenichic wrote: My personal experience has been that if the infirm dependent files a tax return at a different address, your deduction will get denied by the cra.

Maybe different if they live in a care home. However, if they can live on their own they are not infirm enough for you to claim them as a dependent.
Agreed. Before it was anyone over 65. Now it is restricted to infirm dependent without clear definition of it.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
right4you wrote: I searched around and found a signed statement from a medical doctor is required to claim this credit, indicating when the impairment began, what the duration of h impairment is expected to be, and that because of a mental or physical impairment, the person is dependent on you. I checked with their family doctor and was told she would sign if I provided the statement. I wonder how to write this statement which is acceptable by both the doctor and CRA.
I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing. There is a form called the disability tax credit certificate number 6729. We use this to send to CRA. It needed to be filled out by the physician and the definitions are very clear.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
2011 posts
1030 upvotes
right4you wrote: Agreed. Before it was anyone over 65. Now it is restricted to infirm dependent without clear definition of it.
Interesting. I guess I won't be able to claim my parents as dependents, as they live on the other coast.
Jul 5, 2006
480 posts
407 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote: I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing. There is a form called the disability tax credit certificate number 6729. We use this to send to CRA. It needed to be filled out by the physician and the definitions are very clear.
Disability tax credit is claimed in line 316 for self or 318 for dependent. Caregiver for infirm dependent is in line 307. They are two different things.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
right4you wrote: I searched around and found a signed statement from a medical doctor is required to claim this credit, indicating when the impairment began, what the duration of h impairment is expected to be, and that because of a mental or physical impairment, the person is dependent on you. I checked with their family doctor and was told she would sign if I provided the statement. I wonder how to write this statement which is acceptable by both the doctor and CRA.
Great question.

I was different a couple years ago but now apparently they do want a doctor to certify it. I'm in that predicament with my mother -- she's almost 79 and depends on me to do her shopping and stuff, though she's pretty spry still. That said, is it even worth the effort? I think my tax savings is about $150 if I claim (her income is close to $21,000/year between OAS/GIS/CPP and her $1,000/year pension). Just something to keep in mind -- perhaps make a mock tax return to see if it's worth the hassle.
Why can't we all just get along?
Jul 5, 2006
480 posts
407 upvotes
jeff1970 wrote: Great question.

I was different a couple years ago but now apparently they do want a doctor to certify it. I'm in that predicament with my mother -- she's almost 79 and depends on me to do her shopping and stuff, though she's pretty spry still. That said, is it even worth the effort? I think my tax savings is about $150 if I claim (her income is close to $21,000/year between OAS/GIS/CPP and her $1,000/year pension). Just something to keep in mind -- perhaps make a mock tax return to see if it's worth the hassle.
It is definitely worth the hassle in my situation. My parents' family doctor is aware of their health condition. She said she would sign if we brought the statement. However, we do not know how to write a proper statement which is acceptable by both doctor and CRA. :(
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
right4you wrote: It is definitely worth the hassle in my situation. My parents' family doctor is aware of their health condition. She said she would sign if we brought the statement. However, we do not know how to write a proper statement which is acceptable by both doctor and CRA. :(
You might be able to Google a template for your needs. I Googled around but couldn't find anything, but perhaps your skills are better.

I did find this:

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/everyth ... redit-8006

As I mentioned before, our current government has made it harder to claim these tax credits. It used to be anyone over 65 could be considered "infirm", but now they want a doctors note.

Sorry for the assumption that it is your mother (or only your mother) in the info below.

I have an idea what could be written, but as I said before, the benefit seems very small for me. But if it was worthwhile, I would write a letter stating your mothers full name, her address, her SIN, and mention how she is infirm (can't walk long distances, hard time with household chores, many doctors appointments, etc), and how she is dependant on you (such as grocery shopping, doctors appointments, etc.). I don't think it has to be a long letter as the CRA is too busy to read long letters. I'd say a couple paragraphs. Make it clear the nature of disability and that it's not clearing up in the foreseeable future.

I'd also write the letter as it may have been written by your doctor. So his name and address on it, as well as his name below the letter. It should be addressed to "To Revenue Canada Agency" and the address for your tax centre.

I am surprised your doctor won't write the note herself, but hey...it is what it is.
Why can't we all just get along?
May 8, 2015
460 posts
259 upvotes
East York, ON
Before claiming anything tax related for taking care of my infirm parent, I made sure that they get a Disability Tax Credit Certificate first, get it passed to me, and filed it to my CRA account.
It is then automatically reflected in the software to file my taxes every year,
A caregiver can also claim a few years' back of taxes, starting from the time the disability has started.
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10048 posts
6145 upvotes
Leasiderin wrote: Before claiming anything tax related for taking care of my infirm parent, I made sure that they get a Disability Tax Credit Certificate first, get it passed to me, and filed it to my CRA account.
It is then automatically reflected in the software to file my taxes every year,
A caregiver can also claim a few years' back of taxes, starting from the time the disability has started.
There are actually 2 amts you can claim if you can get a Disability Tax Credit Certificate(lines 307 & 318). But 307 just requires a statement signed by a doctor.
Aug 1, 2019
4 posts
So my dad doesn't live with me but i'm trying to get the tax credit transferred to my name because i cover a lot of his expenses. Did you have to fill out a form for the transfer? I received a form and am struggling to answer all the questions.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)