Food & Drink

How to clean, cook skate wing?

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2019 1:00 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2329 posts
661 upvotes
In Hiding

How to clean, cook skate wing?

So I bought a large skate wing from an Asian supermarket. Opened it up, and has thick black skin on one side with terrible spikes. Looked for Youtube videos which show you have to pull the skin off with pliers and wear thick gloves which I didn't have. Then I found another video that shows to put them in boiling water for 30 seconds and then dump them into ice water. Did this and skin kinda dissolved into a jelly-like mass which I had to scrape off. I read that western cooking strips the skin but in Asia they don't, so how do they remove the spikes, or do the spikes melt when cooked? Any suggestions on how to make this in the pan? Don't want to make soup, or stew. Also, will the store remove the skin for me?
9 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2329 posts
661 upvotes
In Hiding
Yes I saw this, but the plastic gloves don't actually protect my hands from the spikes. I don't want to separate the top from the bottom part (want to leave the cartilage in to give some shape to the pieces when I put them in the pan). It's difficult to rip off the skin without tearing the rest apart. The part of the skin without the spikes could be quite tasty I think. Maybe they sold me some stingray (not sure how to tell the difference when I'm at the store).
Jr. Member
May 29, 2017
178 posts
32 upvotes
I just pay extra for the staff to clean it. If you don't have a skinning plier, you can fillet it with a sharp knife.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4479 posts
2495 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Catnippy wrote: So I bought a large skate wing from an Asian supermarket. Opened it up, and has thick black skin on one side with terrible spikes. Looked for Youtube videos which show you have to pull the skin off with pliers and wear thick gloves which I didn't have. Then I found another video that shows to put them in boiling water for 30 seconds and then dump them into ice water. Did this and skin kinda dissolved into a jelly-like mass which I had to scrape off. I read that western cooking strips the skin but in Asia they don't, so how do they remove the spikes, or do the spikes melt when cooked? Any suggestions on how to make this in the pan? Don't want to make soup, or stew. Also, will the store remove the skin for me?
Get them to clean it. Couple cents more per pound is no big deal.
sprinkle with S+P and simply roast in the oven. Thats how I like it. The meat is like butter.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 30, 2005
1814 posts
1403 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Their bones are very soft and tastey. I just cube it and throw into hotpot.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2329 posts
661 upvotes
In Hiding
Does this mean you eat the bones? I bought a few yesterday and they didn't charge me for removing the skin - they only removed the dark half so I presume the white skin is edible? Makes me think I should buy the pre-skinned ones from Loblaws as they weigh the whole thing before de-skinning like the salmon heads I bought for soup. Here I am standing at the fish counter with all the servers ignoring me, until one guy offered to yell for me - else I'd still be there!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4479 posts
2495 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Its not bones, its more like cartilage.
Also, next time you go there, act like the locals. You dont wait to be asked, you simple "ask" them :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2329 posts
661 upvotes
In Hiding
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Its not bones, its more like cartilage.
Also, next time you go there, act like the locals. You dont wait to be asked, you simple "ask" them :)
I would if I knew how to say "I want to buy some skate wings" in Chinese! Maybe I should take some plastic gloves with me and just starting picking up the pieces I want and yell "Hey" - because I had to make a lot of gestures just to get the skin off and to say how many I wanted to buy. It's hard to get exactly what I want (last time I said "clean" for the salmon heads and I got them chopped up into 1.5" pieces and this time I said "clean" and he chopped each into 2 pieces. Oh well, I just search on Youtube for recipes depending on what I manage to buy!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4479 posts
2495 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Catnippy wrote: I would if I knew how to say "I want to buy some skate wings" in Chinese! Maybe I should take some plastic gloves with me and just starting picking up the pieces I want and yell "Hey" - because I had to make a lot of gestures just to get the skin off and to say how many I wanted to buy. It's hard to get exactly what I want (last time I said "clean" for the salmon heads and I got them chopped up into 1.5" pieces and this time I said "clean" and he chopped each into 2 pieces. Oh well, I just search on Youtube for recipes depending on what I manage to buy!
Thats exactly what you have to do. But skip the gloves, use the bags they have there for the fish.
OR
Just find a proper fish monger that speaks your language and see what good quality seafood looks and tastes like :)
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 14, 2010
503 posts
230 upvotes
Catnippy wrote: Does this mean you eat the bones? I bought a few yesterday and they didn't charge me for removing the skin - they only removed the dark half so I presume the white skin is edible? Makes me think I should buy the pre-skinned ones from Loblaws as they weigh the whole thing before de-skinning like the salmon heads I bought for soup. Here I am standing at the fish counter with all the servers ignoring me, until one guy offered to yell for me - else I'd still be there!
We remove the dark skin ourselves prior to cooking. I'm pretty sure you can eat the white skin on the other side but I'm not a fan of it as it's a bit slimy to me. We keep it on during the cooking process so that the piece doesn't break apart. Favourite ways to eat it is in a spicy hot pot or steamed with black bean sauce.

Top