• Dec 20th, 2019 11:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6495 posts
2205 upvotes
Vancouver

How to clean up Hard Drive from junk that accumulates? Win10

Is there an alternative other than a clean reinstall of Windows 10? Last install was 2 years ago with lots of apps and as you all know, once you delete them, often pieces are still left in the registry as well as program files as well as in AppData. Seems like I am missing about 30gb of space based on what I had 2 years ago when I just installed all of these apps.
So, I am wondering if there is perhaps a program that can help to find those and clean those out? I tried a couple back 5-7 years ago and none of them worked well.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
6 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12091 posts
6981 upvotes
Markham
I'm not a techie. There's the old CCleaner.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6495 posts
2205 upvotes
Vancouver
gr8dlr wrote: I'm not a techie. There's the old CCleaner.
Unfortunately that one is not very good. It's ok for basic stuff,but I hoped there's something more advanced
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10205 posts
2610 upvotes
Winnipeg
wise disk cleaner I think even offers freeing up space like update zips etc. read about https://www.bleachbit.org/ too but i still use ccleaner for registry cleaning and have never had it screw up anything by using the reg cleaner after an uninstall of programs. but I wager those other 2 are probably better cleaners.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12932 posts
2224 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I go through directories sometimes and manually delete crap. You have to know what you're doing, of course, but when in doubt, just prepend the directory with "NUKE" or something, and if everything still runs great, delete it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13000 upvotes
Why not just wipe it?

It's also the perfect opportunity to install fresh, install anything you 100% know you're going to keep, get all the settings right, then image the thing for the next time this happens.
Apr 9, 2012
455 posts
346 upvotes
Learn to use Windows 10's installed Disk Clean - 2 modes, CCleaner & Revo Uninstaller free.