Cell Phones

How come some phones cost more to unlock than others ?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2015 4:16 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto

How come some phones cost more to unlock than others ?

I understand iphone usually costs more to unlock than Android's.

Just curious how come the unlock price is different for different Android phones. I recently unlock the LG G3 with the online unlock code for US$3.99, but when I check the price for a two years old Note 2, it still costs almost $20 to unlock. If I remember correctly, I paid $7.99 to unlock my last LG phone years ago. Just wondering if the price varies depending on the brand, model or both ?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1765 posts
344 upvotes
Mississauga
rdx wrote: I understand iphone usually costs more to unlock than Android's.

Just curious how come the unlock price is different for different Android phones. I recently unlock the LG G3 with the online unlock code for US$3.99, but when I check the price for a two years old Note 2, it still costs almost $20 to unlock. If I remember correctly, I paid $7.99 to unlock my last LG phone years ago. Just wondering if the price varies depending on the brand, model or both ?
You can read this post by WorldIRC to get an idea.. what-exactly-do-unlocking-services-do-1 ... st21294695
Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t15.htm

An Android a day keeps the Apple away.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30057 upvotes
Center of Universe
Supply and demand!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
rdx wrote: I understand iphone usually costs more to unlock than Android's.

That is reasonable. You should be gratified after you hear out what the smart iphone users are bxxxxing (and paying of course)
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
danieltoronto wrote: That is reasonable. You should be gratified after you hear out what the smart iphone users are bxxxxing (and paying of course)
Agree. Within $20 is reasonable

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)