How common is excessive sweating ?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2021 2:21 am
[OP]
Nov 14, 2012
654 posts
492 upvotes

How common is excessive sweating ?

I have hyperhidrosis, it does not just affect my underarms but entire torso. Does not trigger when I am idle or just working on the computer, but any kind of physical activity triggers it and then it flows like river. Sitting in the office - nothing not even underarms, but go move some boxes and I have to change shirt afterward. On another hand, it helps with the heat, people are often asking how can I work outside - well, when soaked any light breeze feels like ice cold AC, so as long as I keep hydrated, I can work outside in the sun all day.

Does not bother me medically and I did not seek medical opinion yet, but it is socially awkward. I have good physical endurance, so it does not seem degenerative and only way to turn it off, that I found so far, is to go on calorie restricted diet, but the problem with that is very low energy, constantly tired.

Wondering if other people have this condition.
10 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12654 posts
3032 upvotes
Mississauga
According to WebMD, 2-3% of Americans have it. I assume it's similar for Canadians, so it's definitely a decent chunk of the population. You should get it looked at as there are treatments for it.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12973 posts
7071 upvotes
Have you been diagnosed with hyperhidrosis? Or just assuming?

I am a very heavy sweater, especially in this heat, but by no means to that extent.

AS advised, if you have not, see your doctor.
Dec 20, 2020
138 posts
150 upvotes
ramon2 wrote: I have hyperhidrosis, it does not just affect my underarms but entire torso. Does not trigger when I am idle or just working on the computer, but any kind of physical activity triggers it and then it flows like river. Sitting in the office - nothing not even underarms, but go move some boxes and I have to change shirt afterward. On another hand, it helps with the heat, people are often asking how can I work outside - well, when soaked any light breeze feels like ice cold AC, so as long as I keep hydrated, I can work outside in the sun all day.

Does not bother me medically and I did not seek medical opinion yet, but it is socially awkward. I have good physical endurance, so it does not seem degenerative and only way to turn it off, that I found so far, is to go on calorie restricted diet, but the problem with that is very low energy, constantly tired.

Wondering if other people have this condition.
i have the same problem.

but i can go for a walk no sweat.

but start doing any sort of physical activity - like mow the lawn, or move some boxes, and sweating starts. Not sure how much is heat related, but seems to have started about a year ago. Maybe a covid thing.
[OP]
Nov 14, 2012
654 posts
492 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: Have you been diagnosed with hyperhidrosis? Or just assuming?

I am a very heavy sweater, especially in this heat, but by no means to that extent.

AS advised, if you have not, see your doctor.
Self diagnosed. WebMD says most cases are harmless, but it can be thyroid issue, diabetes or infection, I definitely do not have neither of those.

sirex1gamer wrote: i have the same problem.

but i can go for a walk no sweat.

but start doing any sort of physical activity - like mow the lawn, or move some boxes, and sweating starts. Not sure how much is heat related, but seems to have started about a year ago. Maybe a covid thing.
So it seems the same. On or off.

Had this condition for at least two decades, but it gets more prominent with age and in these heat waves.

Btw. one thing to watch for is loss of electrolytes, after heavy sweating if I dont replenish I may get random cramps. Usually I hydrate with lemon tap water throuout the day, but it does not have enough electrolytes, so one pill 150mg Magnesium Citrate, a banana and some salty snack or soup does the trick to prevent cramps.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12973 posts
7071 upvotes
ramon2 wrote: Self diagnosed. WebMD says most cases are harmless, but it can be thyroid issue, diabetes or infection, I definitely do not have neither of those
Please go see your doctor to get a proper diagnosis so you know exactly what you are dealing with. You may be right, it might be something completely different.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2004
5175 posts
1761 upvotes
Toronto
Good thing, summer is almost over.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
Some medications like antidepressants can cause hyperhidrosis over time. If you are taking any medications they may be part of the problem.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
1534 posts
556 upvotes
have measured myself once as i dropped about a cup of salt water each hand in 10 minute period holding onto a joystick like device with collection reservoir underneath ( sorry was at an amusement park and happened decades ago - am not proud of it but i can't control my sweat glands or body ); ok was days of thunder nascar simulated seat ride indoors at you know where
Nov 18, 2019
159 posts
277 upvotes
Some medications increase perspiration. You could chat with your pharmacist if you have questions if you think it might be medication related.