Automotive

How to compare Car Insurance Rates in BC?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2017 7:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
2548 posts
871 upvotes
Whitehorse

How to compare Car Insurance Rates in BC?

How can I compare car insurance rates in BC?

I understand that the basic liability has to be done through ICBC at fixed rates. But there are private insurance companies offering insurance on top of that, including higher liability, collision, and comprehensive. Is there any way to compare their rates online? Or do I really have to go on a piligrimage from broker's office to broker's office?

TNX
3 replies
May 26, 2005
845 posts
627 upvotes
There's this thing called e-mail - e-mail a bunch of brokers (Co-Operators, BCAA, London Drugs, etc) to ask them to give you quotes for insurance.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1456 upvotes
Richmond
sokolov wrote: do I really have to go on a piligrimage from broker's office to broker's office?
Yes. or some direct insurers and some brokers will assist you over the phone. It's worth shopping around, because there can be a lot of variation.

Get a quote for ICBC optional insurance first, because it gives you a baseline and most private companies will offer to beat that.

For example for one of our cars due for renewal last month it was about $430 with Canadian Direct last year. This year Belair took over CDI's business and sent a quote of $490. But I got a quote of $410 from another insurer via my broker, and only $375 for the ICBC equivalent (shockingly lower for once). When they heard that, Belair came back with a quote of $300 to ensure they got the business.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
2548 posts
871 upvotes
Whitehorse
roastpuff wrote: There's this thing called e-mail - e-mail a bunch of brokers (Co-Operators, BCAA, London Drugs, etc) to ask them to give you quotes for insurance.
E-Mail doesn't scale. There are too many variations. I don't know exactly what insurance with what deductible I want - it depends a lot on the price. There are too many options to send emails around.

What is the reason that there is no online comparison tool like Kanetix for BC?