[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1977 posts
236 upvotes
Mississauga

how to convert VHS to dvd

Hi,

Looking for methods on how to convert VHS to dvd.

I have only seen the online services which offer the conversion at a rate of $10/hour recorded onto dvd. I have a lot of videos - just wondering if there was an alternative to paying for the service and doing it myself somehow.
16 replies
Aug 31, 2006
498 posts
79 upvotes
I can confirm what Bobberts said. I've used a similar set of cables, ordered via ebay.
But the price from ******** is great.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4345 posts
1172 upvotes
Charlottetown
the hardest/most expensive part is getting/finding a VHS player :)
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19332 posts
989 upvotes
The easiest way is to connect a VCR to a DVD recorder. Very simple and requires least amount of time. Very little human intervention.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33739 posts
7373 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Just use a $20 TV Capture Card. Plug in the VCR as your video source and record the video onto your computer. Convert to MP4 and distribute

I wouldn't bother with DVD
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1977 posts
236 upvotes
Mississauga
i have a vcr....

i can order those cables....but then what? do i need a program? to watch/record/burn the dvds? dvd is a must, because we are doing this as a present for our older folks.

i like the staples item...seems the easiest solution for me, but i am interested in knowing what i would do if just bought those cables.
Dec 7, 2015
479 posts
104 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I looked into this some time ago - I have a handful of VHS tapes I'd like to digitize (so I can get rid of the VCR). Based on the reviews, not many of the USB adaptors seem too reliable. The problem? - the software is not that great. You get the software with the gadget and it may or may not work well - some produce crappy copies of the video. Others don't work reliably - when I looked, the versions were for Win XP and hadn't been updated for Win7/8 yet.

If someone knows of one that is reliable and comes with good, usable software, I'd like to know about it. I can't justify an expensive gadget, but one of those USB adaptors would seem the answer... if the software is good (my options are Linux and Win10).
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13117 posts
2365 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Best Buy wants $300 for a DVD recorder. Used ones vary in price, but I see some for ~$100.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2680 upvotes
Vancouver
will888 wrote: Something like this would be dead simple. If only the seller was in Canada, the cost could be a lot more reasonable.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 26&alt=web
Funai made almost all the DVD recorders sold throughout the world, so almost any brand you could find would actually have been made by Funai under the label. They were sold pretty cheap for a while around 7-8 years ago, but then they fell out of favour. Now there are very few new models around, and they are overpriced accordingly. A DVD recorder is a good solution, but better to search for a used one to see if you can get it cheap. I see plenty for sale on Kijiji in the Toronto area for $20-$40.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
One of the older ATI TV cards with a digitizer built in would do and the PC side ($30 max) and plug in the VCR.