• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2016 9:07 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote: Lol... Sorry, didn't mean to come off creepy or stalking.
I was kidding anyway.
It's kind of neat to know that someone actually listens to my incoherent rambling.
There's so much mixed information on the internet so when I read about someone who consistently knows about food or whatever topic, I tend to make an effort to pay a little closer attention particularly in the food forum.

Yeah, food is the worst topic too.
I HATE looking for recipes on the internet because you get every random idiot thinking they know how to cook.
Half the ones you find are dump and stir. The other ones aren't well thought out.
Others are just plain wrong.
You're wading through a dumpster of garbage to find that one gem.

I have SO many examples of terrible recipes it's not even funny.
I remember one recipe for brisket that has 16% black pepper by weight.
I'm a fan of pepper but not that much pepper.
I believe your were the one that gave the great ice cream tips.
Being angry by nature, this is me.
I can't find good ice cream so I get mad and make my own.
I would be happy to talk to your chef after I sample your food myself.

The first test I "bombed" (83%). Still the highest mark in the class but he expected more from me. Even I expected more from myself.
2nd test I redeemed myself with 94% though.
I do get it though. For those that are professional chefs, the critiquing can be very harsh while in school.

For me I thrive on critiquing. I'm my own worst critic for one sole reason: I want to produce the best thing I can.
So I pick it apart until I get the perfect product. Then I pick it apart again and make it better.
That's why I appreciate those who can produce constant results.
It even drives me nuts sometimes.
Most chefs are like "a little of this and a little of that" or "close enough" which works.
But I want 100% replicable results so you see me over there with my "drug scale" scaling off my spices to a tenth of a gram.
Are you still studying culinary? I don't know know much about technique, actually mine is rather lacking, but I enjoy great food.
Yup.

It's surprisingly difficult. I couldn't imagine being green to the kitchen and trying to absorb everything.
For me personally I know about 80-90% of all the content and still have trouble remembering some things.
The amount of stuff to know is staggering.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Gutty96 wrote: Like boil it boil it? Never done that.

Or on a pan with some water and a lid (poaching?) boil it? I do that for the kids.
Boil it. I usually pull the breasts straight from the freezer. I'm cooking it for my dogs usually, but I still eat some of it (shred it). It always comes out tasty anyways.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1404 posts
739 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Gutty96 wrote: Like boil it boil it? Never done that.

Or on a pan with some water and a lid (poaching?) boil it? I do that for the kids.
yup boil. Like my grandma use to do for a quick dinner.
You can eat the chicken with rice and with a little bit of garlic soy sauce + bok choy or any other greens.
The rice you can cook it in the chicken broth. The garlic say sauce is just some chopped garlic browned in a little bit of oil and add soy sauce to that.
I only boil legs though. Not breast.

It's like a quick version of Hainanese chicken rice.
superfresh89 wrote: Not sure. I've only ever boiled chicken during Chinese hot pot. This reminds me of a Haianese chicken, but that's not boiling either.
Actually you boil a whole chicken when making the Hainanese chicken :)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
ckay1980 wrote:
Actually you boil a whole chicken when making the Hainanese chicken :)
I've never made it, but wouldn't it make more sense to poach it?
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1404 posts
739 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
death_hawk wrote: I've never made it, but wouldn't it make more sense to poach it?
I don't know, that's how they do it in Asia :)
I guess it's ok to poach too. I sometimes prefer to steam than to boil (put the legs in a bowl in a steamer) and you end up with a more concentrated broth.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21264 posts
6247 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I cook it Asian style. Seasoned the chicken and let it marinade for a while. Put the chicken on a dish and set it in a pot of water and steam it. Yummy!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)