• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2020 4:58 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19150 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

How Covid Broke Our Roads

Very interesting video and basically confirms what insurance companies are seeing with their CORs. I work in insurance and was curious why the numbers are high like that.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9924 posts
7087 upvotes
Mississauga
Oh yeah, I fully believe it. In the first few months (April/May) I saw a lot of drivers just acting stupid.
Banned
Sep 14, 2020
437 posts
251 upvotes
Driving is dangerous. Ban Driving.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
401 is still largely lawless. Meanwhile, speed cameras are popping up like zits in my community.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2017
1595 posts
2475 upvotes
Couldn't watch the video, guy was too annoying.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
4795 posts
3847 upvotes
GTA
oilerfan89 wrote: Couldn't watch the video, guy was too annoying.
Oh he’s tame compared to his co-workers but that’s why I love their content. Definitely not for everyone.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
Me262A1 wrote: Driving is dangerous. Ban Driving.
I wouldn't be surprised if speed limiters (mandatory on some commercial vehicles) are eventually required on personal vehicles as well.
Alternately, the "we give a discount if you install this GPS that makes sure you follow the law" policy that some car insurance companies have might get to the point where most people can't afford not to have it.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10121 posts
10230 upvotes
Me262A1 wrote: Driving is dangerous. Ban Driving.
They do. They suspend you if you DUI eventhough its infringing on your freedom to drink and drive and majority survive even if they get into accident with a DUI driver

DUI is a personal choice that's not allowed! And if you're caught they suspend you and charge you!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
StatsGuy wrote: They do. They suspend you if you DUI eventhough its infringing on your freedom to drink and drive and majority survive even if they get into accident with a DUI driver

DUI is a personal choice that's not allowed! And if you're caught they suspend you and charge you!
Don’t forget bill C-46. You face being charged with DUI if you drink within 2 hours after driving.

Drive sober, drink 2 hours later.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.4975008
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
ADRiiAN` wrote: Oh he’s tame compared to his co-workers but that’s why I love their content. Definitely not for everyone.
Mo powa babeh

Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Well, there's another side to the coin.

There are aggressive drivers for sure.

And then there are those who appear to have forgotten how to drove after coming out of lockdown. 10 under the limit, no mirror checks, texting.

I actually think the latter is more dangerous.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10121 posts
10230 upvotes
bubuski wrote: Don’t forget bill C-46. You face being charged with DUI if you drink within 2 hours after driving.

Drive sober, drink 2 hours later.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.4975008
Well you can be charged with anything really. That's what the courts are for to determine validity of the charges

But doesn't change the fact that we can't drive drunk, do burnouts or donuts on the road even if there's no other cars around. Same with street racing , can't do that either
Last edited by StatsGuy on Nov 24th, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Which idiots are downvoting this thread? Probably the same overly aggressive A-holes on the road...
Oct 25, 2020
564 posts
502 upvotes
Ontario has already seen blow back via OPP and local police handing out a ton of speeding and stunt driving charges.

Plus operation noisemaker and the other task forces implemented to make car gatherings a nightmare.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
er34er34 wrote: Well, there's another side to the coin.

There are aggressive drivers for sure.

And then there are those who appear to have forgotten how to drove after coming out of lockdown. 10 under the limit, no mirror checks, texting.

I actually think the latter is more dangerous.
Driving in the rain yesterday was stuck behind someone going 60km/h on an 80km/h road. The person was obviously either texting or a horrible driver because everyone flies like 100km/h+ down this road its basically a highway. It was a double yellow so I and a bunch of cars behind me was stuck behind him. A guy in a pickup truck behind me was also frustrated so he passed both of us illegally almost causing a head on collision with a car in the oncoming lane.

Obviously the idiot passing 2 cars on the double yellow was 100% at fault, but the situation never would have happened if idiot 1 was going the speed limit or pulled over to allow people to pass.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14179 upvotes
Toronto
Ecsta wrote: Driving in the rain yesterday was stuck behind someone going 60km/h on an 80km/h road. The person was obviously either texting or a horrible driver because everyone flies like 100km/h+ down this road its basically a highway. It was a double yellow so I and a bunch of cars behind me was stuck behind him. A guy in a pickup truck behind me was also frustrated so he passed both of us illegally almost causing a head on collision with a car in the oncoming lane.

Obviously the idiot passing 2 cars on the double yellow was 100% at fault, but the situation never would have happened if idiot 1 was going the speed limit or pulled over to allow people to pass.
not that I'm condoning slow driving, but if the limit is 80 km/h and it's raining, it's not unrealistic for people to be going slower than that due to the weather and there's certainly no obligation for him to "pull over to let others pass". 60 km/h is low though.

I'm definitely not condoning the self-important a-hole in the pickup though either.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2017
1032 posts
1820 upvotes
You drive according to weather conditions. If people are uncomfortable driving the limit in those conditions then stay in the right lane.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Swerny wrote: not that I'm condoning slow driving, but if the limit is 80 km/h and it's raining, it's not unrealistic for people to be going slower than that due to the weather and there's certainly no obligation for him to "pull over to let others pass". 60 km/h is low though.

I'm definitely not condoning the self-important a-hole in the pickup though either.
Agreed and maybe I came across wrong.. My point was that uncomfortable/inexperienced drivers can cause situations where other drivers act dumb. It's of course not the fault of the person going slow as they're driving within their limits.
Kingsmen17 wrote: You drive according to weather conditions. If people are uncomfortable driving the limit in those conditions then stay in the right lane.
Single lane highways you can only pass in marked areas with the majority of sections being double yellow (no passing), so road ragers sometimes get triggered when they stuck behind people going slow.
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5863 posts
2611 upvotes
Ecsta wrote: Driving in the rain yesterday was stuck behind someone going 60km/h on an 80km/h road. The person was obviously either texting or a horrible driver because everyone flies like 100km/h+ down this road its basically a highway. It was a double yellow so I and a bunch of cars behind me was stuck behind him. A guy in a pickup truck behind me was also frustrated so he passed both of us illegally almost causing a head on collision with a car in the oncoming lane.

Passing on double yellow not illegal BTW, just unsafe. Lane lines, especially yellow ones, are advisories only. Just like yellow speed limit signs...
Kingsmen17 wrote: You drive according to weather conditions. If people are uncomfortable driving the limit in those conditions then stay in the right lane.
Exactly. Wait for safe opportunity to get around and be patient.