Careers

How to deal with being passed over for a promotion.

[OP]
Jul 9, 2019
693 posts
2614 upvotes

How to deal with being passed over for a promotion.

I work in sales and topped the charts during Black Friday, Boxing day, in fact gulf between me at 1st position and 2nd position was HUGE. I got praised several times in team’s group chat for this.

I worked for this company around 9 months, somehow I learnt things really fast and was forced to train newly hired employee’s when I myself was pretty new to job. So new employee’s used to shadow me for like a week or two my entire shift.

Now one of the individuals who shadowed me got promoted, I’m happy for individual as that person works hard with great uplifting attitude. But I have this disappointment at back of my head, why I’m not getting any raise or position promotion?

I have started to self doubt myself, maybe I don’t have a good vibe that my managers are not happy, I’m bit reserved kind of individual and generally do not mingle with other departments. I was once told this feedback by my team lead that I have to go extra mile in this.

Is it time for me to look for another job?
78 replies
Nov 28, 2016
781 posts
933 upvotes
Why not ask your manager about it?

Honestly though 9 months is a bit of a short term for a promotion but that's just based on my experience. Perhaps you work place is structured differently.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5070 posts
3251 upvotes
Ask for feedback but tread carefully and professionally. You don't want to sound like anything less than a professional which would further kill your chances of promotion.
Apr 16, 2009
167 posts
21 upvotes
Could it be that the promoted person is more experienced than you? I mean, experience from previous companies, not from your current company.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15003 posts
11526 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
It's called "Sucking Up to your bosses".

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
2014 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
I have seen a lot of people got a higher position when they leave a company, and then come back a year later with additional skill set/experience. In the case of sales, I believe the wider your network is, the better off you will be.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1150 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
bhrm wrote: Ask for feedback but tread carefully and professionally. You don't want to sound like anything less than a professional which would further kill your chances of promotion.
Just curious how would someone sound unprofessional?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5070 posts
3251 upvotes
ranjeet2000 wrote: Just curious how would someone sound unprofessional?
"Hey boss, I thought I was supposed to get that promotion, WTF"

or

"Hi Manager, I worked really hard for the last 9 months and I thought i was going to get promoted. What's wrong with you?'

or "Hi Manager, I really worked hard, met my targets and exceeded them, why didn't I get the promotion?"

All three, not professional.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1150 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
bhrm wrote: "Hey boss, I thought I was supposed to get that promotion, WTF"

or

"Hi Manager, I worked really hard for the last 9 months and I thought i was going to get promoted. What's wrong with you?'

or "Hi Manager, I really worked hard, met my targets and exceeded them, why didn't I get the promotion?"

All three, not professional.
No wonder my progress is crap. I would have said your third response.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1810 posts
1831 upvotes
The correct answer is: Hi Manager, I love learning and growing. What skills and experiences do you think I need to develop in order to grow with the company? Can you help me / coach me on how to acquire them?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5070 posts
3251 upvotes
ProductGuy wrote: The correct answer is: Hi Manager, I love learning and growing. What skills and experiences do you think I need to develop in order to grow with the company? Can you help me / coach me on how to acquire them?
This +1

If you don't agree with the feedback given, hold up, take it, think about it, then come back with your own thoughts.

It's okay to disagree with feedback, as long as there's a discussion. If discussion doesn't go anywhere, not constructive or you don't feel you gained better knowledge and insight, move on.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1150 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
ProductGuy wrote: The correct answer is: Hi Manager, I love learning and growing. What skills and experiences do you think I need to develop in order to grow with the company? Can you help me / coach me on how to acquire them?
Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1150 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
bhrm wrote: This +1

If you don't agree with the feedback given, hold up, take it, think about it, then come back with your own thoughts.

It's okay to disagree with feedback, as long as there's a discussion. If discussion doesn't go anywhere, not constructive or you don't feel you gained better knowledge and insight, move on.
What if after you get the feedback, apply it , and still no promotion?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5070 posts
3251 upvotes
ranjeet2000 wrote: What if after you get the feedback, apply it , and still no promotion?
A good manager will be open and honest, and tell you there are no opportunities for promotion in the near future (budget, approvals etc) and let you know if it's important to you, that you can look elsewhere and will be supportive.

A bad manager will keep stringing you on for years. Carrot on stick, more stick no carrot.

In the end, it's your career to manage
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1150 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
bhrm wrote: A good manager will be open and honest, and tell you there are no opportunities for promotion in the near future (budget, approvals etc) and let you know if it's important to you, that you can look elsewhere and will be supportive.

A bad manager will keep stringing you on for years. Carrot on stick, more stick no carrot.

In the end, it's your career to manage
Looks like I've had a bad manager
Sep 16, 2017
381 posts
296 upvotes
It could also be that since you are a top performer, promoting you may cause you to take on responsibilities outside of purely sales.

Managers tend to keep top performers to make themselves look good.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
3789 posts
2348 upvotes
Ottawa
MasterBD wrote: It could also be that since you are a top performer, promoting you may cause you to take on responsibilities outside of purely sales.

Managers tend to keep top performers to make themselves look good.
Yeah promotion in sales is not always best sales person. Actually it makes sense. You need someone who can organize and motivate. Mentor-ship is also good but really how much of sales can be taught?
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2018
1275 posts
1562 upvotes
Hahahapxl wrote: I work in sales and topped the charts during Black Friday, Boxing day, in fact gulf between me at 1st position and 2nd position was HUGE. I got praised several times in team’s group chat for this.

I worked for this company around 9 months, somehow I learnt things really fast and was forced to train newly hired employee’s when I myself was pretty new to job. So new employee’s used to shadow me for like a week or two my entire shift.

Now one of the individuals who shadowed me got promoted, I’m happy for individual as that person works hard with great uplifting attitude. But I have this disappointment at back of my head, why I’m not getting any raise or position promotion?

I have started to self doubt myself, maybe I don’t have a good vibe that my managers are not happy, I’m bit reserved kind of individual and generally do not mingle with other departments. I was once told this feedback by my team lead that I have to go extra mile in this.

Is it time for me to look for another job?
There's your answer.

It's really not enough just to be good at your current job in order to get a promotion, especially if that promotion is to a supervisory role. There's going to be a different skill-set involved and perhaps your manager doesn't think you possess those skill-sets yet.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
Extroverts and brown nosers are usually more stand out from a soft skills point of view.
These qualities also help to cover up deficiencies, incompetencies etc.
In Canada, if you talk a lot it makes you seem smart.
Some probably are but most are just playing the game.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5992 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto
What role was the "promotion" out of the sales role? What kind of sales role do you currently have?

Sometimes the top people on sales stay in sales for the rest of their careers. (Compensation dependent of course).

Therefore I ask, how was this promotion role given? Did they review a bunch of candidates or just offer it to 1 person they seemed worthy?

The reason is I find very often, employees dont make their superiors aware of their goals and intentions.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.