Real Estate

how to deal with frustrating selling agent?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2019 2:29 pm
[OP]
Aug 6, 2014
830 posts
293 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

how to deal with frustrating selling agent?

hi rfd team, i'm trying to get some more information on a piece of land. there's a re/max agent handling things on behalf of the seller, and i'm finding her very intractable. she's tells me there is no plan of the land / no survey / no markings, and all i can get out of her are vague directions to the land and a promise that she's got a 'for sale' sign somewhere within the property boundaries. she is perpetually angry and frustrated when speaking on the phone.

this land has been for sale for 18 months now and the price keeps dropping, probably because everyone else is having just as much difficulty as i am in getting any kind of information out of the agent. i wrote another re/max agent doing work in the same area, and he said there was nothing he could as this was her sale.

the land is now very cheap (it could be a complete waste of time because i have seen it, but the description, proximity to where i live, size & municipal evaluation make it seem like a good deal), so i'm still interested.. i just don't know how to get any further with this agent.

any ideas? part of me is thinking about just low balling the hell out of the property in hopes that this lady is forced to dig up some information or engage in some capacity.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1543 posts
817 upvotes
GTA
Sadly, there are several angry realtors around that I, too, have encountered.

One way to get info is to present an offer and include MANY of the items that you required as a condition of the sale. She might not "want" to provide the info or she might not have the info, but sadly it doesn't sound like you'll be able to get the required information ahead of time.
Award Winning Realtor - I LOVE MY JOB!!
At the end of the day, you're the boss and need to make sure I'm worth your rate of pay!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3966 posts
3181 upvotes
fisher44 wrote: hi rfd team, i'm trying to get some more information on a piece of land. there's a re/max agent handling things on behalf of the seller, and i'm finding her very intractable. she's tells me there is no plan of the land / no survey / no markings, and all i can get out of her are vague directions to the land and a promise that she's got a 'for sale' sign somewhere within the property boundaries. she is perpetually angry and frustrated when speaking on the phone.

this land has been for sale for 18 months now and the price keeps dropping, probably because everyone else is having just as much difficulty as i am in getting any kind of information out of the agent. i wrote another re/max agent doing work in the same area, and he said there was nothing he could as this was her sale.

the land is now very cheap (it could be a complete waste of time because i have seen it, but the description, proximity to where i live, size & municipal evaluation make it seem like a good deal), so i'm still interested.. i just don't know how to get any further with this agent.

any ideas? part of me is thinking about just low balling the hell out of the property in hopes that this lady is forced to dig up some information or engage in some capacity.
What's your issue? You asked her and she said not available. If she doesn't have it, she doesn't have it.

If you are interested, then it's upto you as the purchaser to do your own due diligence. This is the norm in land transaction

Maybe you should get an agent if you're incapable of doing your own due diligence instead of asking the selling agent when it's not her responsibility to help you do yours
[OP]
Aug 6, 2014
830 posts
293 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
thanks - that's definitely a good idea. i also get the impression that i'm like a hair away from having this lady just block my calls. i've called her 3 times trying to wrest information out of her, and although i've tried to be exceedingly polite, judging her loud sighing and groaning on the phone i think i'm pretty close to getting cut off. i haven't experienced anything like this before, i looked at a couple of other properties and the agents were all really great at getting me a plan or telling me where the markers are, or even at least getting me good directions.
[OP]
Aug 6, 2014
830 posts
293 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
StatsGuy wrote: What's your issue? You asked her and she said not available. If she doesn't have it, she doesn't have it.

If you are interested, then it's upto you as the purchaser to do your own due diligence. This is the norm in land transaction

Maybe you should get an agent if you're incapable of doing your own due diligence instead of asking the selling agent when it's not her responsibility to help you do yours
you seem really angry
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5768 posts
2931 upvotes
Thornhill
It's very possible the seller has no survey or plan or anything to show you and the markers can't be located because well, they're covered in dirt or grass.

I'm not sure why you can't locate the property though, an address must obviously be advertised so google maps. gps?

And another Realtor should be able to assist, so I don't understand their reluctance - unless you are asking for information that you're not entitled to.

In any case, she should not be so unhelpful with general inquiries as long as you're not demanding anything that she is not required to provide. You have three options to handle it, the first is to contact the broker of record and let them know your issues with her or contact the seller directly if you know who the seller is (you can obtain this from land registry) or advise the listing rep and broker of record in writing that you've been frustrated in your efforts to obtain information about the property and may have no recourse but to report it to the Real Estate Council Of Ontario,

I guarantee you that last will light a fire but you'd want to deal with them via a different brokerage, that's for sure.
[OP]
Aug 6, 2014
830 posts
293 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
licenced wrote: It's very possible the seller has no survey or plan or anything to show you and the markers can't be located because well, they're covered in dirt or grass.

I'm not sure why you can't locate the property though, an address must obviously be advertised so google maps. gps?

And another Realtor should be able to assist, so I don't understand their reluctance - unless you are asking for information that you're not entitled to.

In any case, she should not be so unhelpful with general inquiries as long as you're not demanding anything that she is not required to provide. You have three options to handle it, the first is to contact the broker of record and let them know your issues with her or contact the seller directly if you know who the seller is (you can obtain this from land registry) or advise the listing rep and broker of record in writing that you've been frustrated in your efforts to obtain information about the property and may have no recourse but to report it to the Real Estate Council Of Ontario,

I guarantee you that last will light a fire but you'd want to deal with them via a different brokerage, that's for sure.
no advertised address, this place is kind of out in the boonies. i've been told to "drive down the road for 5-10km, then get out and walk for 10 min in the direction of the hill" and that she's got a for sale sign somewhere nearby.. this place is only 2 acres so i'm not confident i'd end up in the right place following those direction.

i don't think i'm asking for anything unreasonable, i really just want a lot # roll # or address or virtually any kind of piece of paper that gives some indication as to where this property actually is, or allows me go to the land registry and figure this out on my own. i don't know how to get in touch with the seller directly (no other info listed).

i haven't heard of the term 'broker of record' before, but i'll look into that and see what i can do. thank you!!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5768 posts
2931 upvotes
Thornhill
I don't understand, how is it advertised then if there is no address? Maybe it's a fake ad and she's hunting for buyer clients. Unfortunately, those are around.

If you send me the ad via pm I'll see what I can do to find the address or gps location for you. I will need the city/town/hamlet.
fisher44 wrote: no advertised address, this place is kind of out in the boonies. i've been told to "drive down the road for 5-10km, then get out and walk for 10 min in the direction of the hill" and that she's got a for sale sign somewhere nearby.. this place is only 2 acres so i'm not confident i'd end up in the right place following those direction.

i don't think i'm asking for anything unreasonable, i really just want a lot # roll # or address or virtually any kind of piece of paper that gives some indication as to where this property actually is, or allows me go to the land registry and figure this out on my own. i don't know how to get in touch with the seller directly (no other info listed).

i haven't heard of the term 'broker of record' before, but i'll look into that and see what i can do. thank you!!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3966 posts
3181 upvotes
fisher44 wrote: you seem really angry
Speak for yourself based on your rant and challenge to any other viewpoint that is not consistent with your own

You admit you're unable to do your due diligence or have selling agent help you to the degree you require. So you should go get a professional to help you as clearly it's beyond your skillset to achieve what you want

Simple stuff
[OP]
Aug 6, 2014
830 posts
293 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
just PM'd you the link and all the info i have so far. i have the town it's in and even a nearby street. thanks!!
[OP]
Aug 6, 2014
830 posts
293 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
StatsGuy wrote: Speak for yourself based on your rant and challenge to any other viewpoint that is not consistent with your own

You admit you're unable to do your due diligence or have selling agent help you to the degree you require. So you should go get a professional to help you as clearly it's beyond your skillset to achieve what you want

Simple stuff
oh man you're having a rough day, huh

edit: actually dude can you just stay out of this thread? literally everybody else is being helpful and friendly. thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5768 posts
2931 upvotes
Thornhill
His frustration is real and has merit. It's like looking for a needle in a farm filled with haystacks.
StatsGuy wrote: Speak for yourself based on your rant and challenge to any other viewpoint that is not consistent with your own

Simple stuff
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3966 posts
3181 upvotes
licenced wrote: His frustration is real and has merit. It's like looking for a needle in a farm filled with haystacks.
Ya, so he should get a professional to help him . Much like looking for a needle in a haystack, get a metal detector. Get the right resources to accomplish what you want
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3966 posts
3181 upvotes
fisher44 wrote: oh man you're having a rough day, huh

edit: actually dude can you just stay out of this thread? literally everybody else is being helpful and friendly. thanks!
Get professional help is what everyone including me has told you .

Get someone working for you to get answers you need, why would someone not working for you help you?

Undeveloped parcels often don't have municipal addresses and will just have a lot/con block description and depending on if/when it was added to land registry, may not even have a valid pin
[OP]
Aug 6, 2014
830 posts
293 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
thanks to everyone but statsguy for the good ideas and help!

statsguy this is thread is done, please go enjoy your day and stop worrying about this