How to deal with issue related to wrong advice from Koodo customer service rep?
Some background context:
- Nov. 28th
- I ordered a Google Pixel 4 XL in white color on Black Friday November 28th. Koodo had the best discount for a new plan - $360 up front for the phone and $15/month for 24 months on a $60/month plan. This also included an Amazon Prime membership for 1 year - $79. In total the phone cost ($720 + tax) minus the $79 Amazon Prime membership
- Nov. 28th
- I received a confirmation email that my order was approved and was being processed.
- Dec. 5th
- Fast forward 5 days later to Dec. 5th and I still had not received a shipping confirmation. I called Koodo's customer service number - 1-866-995-6636 and spoke to Edwin. He basically said there was no way for him to check the status of the phone using the systems he had access to and he would need to talk to someone in the Web Store department and then call me back. I said ok.
- Dec. 5th
- Edwin called me back a couple of hours later and said that the Web Store had no inventory of the White color Google Pixel 4 XL right now and the earliest they are expecting to get shipment would be Dec. 14th (so basically 9 days out).
- My current provider's (Fido) plan was up for renewal on Dec. 13th, so I asked Edwin if I can change my existing order to a black Google Pixel 4 XL instead. He said, no they cannot change the order. The only way to get a black one would be to cancel the current order and place a new order.
- Now here is where the issue started. He did not know (and neither did I) that if I cancelled my existing order and placed an order for a new one, I would not get the same deal as the one I got on Nov. 28th as the Black Friday deals were over. Now the price is $290 more upfront - so $750 up front and $360 over 2 years at $15/month on the $60/month plan.
- Anyway based on the advice of Edwin, I went ahead with him on the phone and someone from the Web Store department and cancelled the order. All of this conversation was recorded of course.
- He advised to wait till I get a cancellation confirmation email before I placed an order for the black one. I still haven't received that cancellation confirmation, however I checked the Koodo.com site and noticed that I could not get the Black Friday deal anymore (surprise!).
- When I noticed the price increase, I didn't place a new order, but called Koodo back again and this time asked to see a supervisor. After spending half an hour explaining the story to the customer rep, I managed to get hold of a supervisor - Mohammed and he said he can help and would check the status with the Web Store.
- After holding for about 10 minutes Mohammed came back on the phone and said he can see the status and its in fact not been cancelled. I asked him to make sure of that as on my previous call earlier in the day with the Web Store, they had clearly said it was cancelled. He said, no it has NOT been cancelled. So I breathed a huge sigh of relief and thanked him.
- After about an hour or so, I checked the status of the order online as I had my initial confirmation number when the order was approved and to my dismay the order had been cancelled. I still haven't received an email confirmation that my order has been cancelled. Mohammed had mentioned earlier that if in fact the order was cancelled, there was nothing he could do about it and I would have to pay the regular price if I placed a new order.
Any suggestions on how I can resolve this issue or have I simply lost that deal?
Two other points to consider. I had placed two other orders the same day - a black Google Pixel 4 XL in black for myself (the white one above was for my wife) and a Google Pixel 3a XL for my son. We got both of the phones 3 days later on Dec. 3rd and we have already transferred the existing numbers from Fido to Koodo. Is it feasible to threaten to cancel these two lines (yes I know that I will have to pay the full tab balance if I do that) if Koodo cannot honor the Black Friday deal on the white Pixel?
Koodo stands to lose $60x12x2 = $1,440 for the two lines.
They stand to gain $60x12x3 = $2,160 by giving me the black friday deal on the white Pixel.