None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44560 posts
7781 upvotes

How to Deal with Kijiji buyers?

Hey folks!

So I am selling my Impreza, and I have posted it for sale via Toronto Subaru Club, GTA Subaru Parts (Facebook page), and even Kijijiji.

I have someone looking at my car today at 11 am, and I just wanted to make sure of how to be careful/wary of said potential buyer? I know there have been horror stories before, where a guy was taken to somewhere and stabbed?

The guy is coming to my house, but I guess I can take him on a test drive in the community itself?

Thanks
Blanka
53 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2977 posts
2410 upvotes
Markham
I never met any Kijiji buyer at my house until I was moving out. It was always in a public place to reduce the likelihood of a horrible thing happening, having another person with you is a bonus. When I was selling my old 2.5 RS I ended up doing it at a hotel parking lot near Pearson since the seller lived in the west end.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20559 posts
9075 upvotes
Toronto
JeganV wrote: I never met any Kijiji buyer at my house until I was moving out. It was always in a public place to reduce the likelihood of a horrible thing happening, having another person with you is a bonus. When I was selling my old 2.5 RS I ended up doing it at a hotel parking lot near Pearson since the seller lived in the west end.
+1. Never meet at your house. Meet in a plaza close by.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
I don't know about the coming to the house bit but, I would not turn anything over until I had cash in hand. Even if they give certified cheque, go to the bank with them and cash it before you hand over the keys and ownership papers.
May 29, 2007
450 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
I would also put it on Autotrader. I found buyers through there more serious. Kijiji is full of professional time wasters.
When I sold my last car I met the guy at the corner plaza initially. He later came to my house when we finalized the deal.
Dec 9, 2011
289 posts
257 upvotes
Ottawa
Like the previous poster said, have someone with you and bring a cell phone. Next time, meet in a public place if you're worried. I've used Kijiji a lot over the years and never had a problem. Most people are good.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4331 upvotes
Be patient. Very patient. Sometimes you get lucky and get a serious buyer who knows what they want and the deal is quick and painless other times it's ymmv. Cash is king. If they pay with a cheque it might be worth it to bring it to your bank manager to verify funds and legitimacy.
Jun 21, 2009
914 posts
369 upvotes
EST
djemzine wrote: ... I know there have been horror stories before, where a guy was taken to somewhere and stabbed? ...
He wasn't just stabbed, he was killed and burned IIRC.

Get a copy of their ID before going on a test drive, and don't go alone.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3261 posts
1396 upvotes
Meet at a police station, in other cities police are encouraging this.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5119 posts
2853 upvotes
GTA
So basically never meet at your house, always in a public place, always have someone with you... gee if i was the buyer i'd find you shady.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44560 posts
7781 upvotes
Well folks it went well. Rescheduled to meet near the YRP. The buyer and his brother came, and we test drove the car, including my friend beside me. Just around the block, and they told me they'll let me know tomorrow if they are interested.

If it helps, they do drive an Outback lol.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2005
2253 posts
269 upvotes
I usually have them come to my house since I have cameras every where. Everything is recorded. G/f knows where I am and can track my cell phone if I don't check in.
2016 Cadillac ATS-V, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, 2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Premium, 2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6, 2016 Camaro SS, 2007 Cadillac SRX, 2015 Z06
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18112 posts
9171 upvotes
Keep in mind that selling a car on Kijiji is a little different than selling an Xbox. When selling a car the actual buyer will have your address and personal information. I am unsure why you would want to hide your address from potential buyers when, in the end, every buyer will have that information.

It's different when you are talking about items that would not require you to exchange personal information, but a vehicle is different.

Personally, I would think it throws a red flag if the seller of a vehicle refuses to meet at their residence. A vehicle is a major purchase, and if a seller is acting shady/sketchy, it would make me wonder: Is it their car? Are they selling it on behalf of someone? etc.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19377 posts
3578 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
I don't worry about ppl coming to my house. Getting murdered is a 1 in a zillion chance. Probably more likely to be killed driving to the mall parking lot.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4008 posts
3865 upvotes
Toronto
Like other posters have said, I would not meet at my house initially why? I used to import cars from Japan as a side business and didn't really have any issues then one day my garage (at home) was broken into and two of my cars stolen. Now sure maybe it was coincidence that some thugs came two days before to check the car out but I do not think it was. Ever since then I meet them some place else and sometimes finialize sales at home, I mean by this time the guy will have your address anyways.

As someone else said be patient, there will be a lot of tire kickers out there but the right guy will come. Recently sold an 2000 integra four door for $1,800, never thought I would get that but the buyer was motivated and wanted that car.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2358 posts
617 upvotes
Lindsay, ON
Jon04CTS wrote: I usually have them come to my house since I have cameras every where. Everything is recorded. G/f knows where I am and can track my cell phone if I don't check in.
Your girl can track your cell phone? You have bigger things to worry about.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2005
2253 posts
269 upvotes
cferguson23 wrote: Your girl can track your cell phone? You have bigger things to worry about.
Only when I enable the app for situations like this.
2016 Cadillac ATS-V, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, 2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Premium, 2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6, 2016 Camaro SS, 2007 Cadillac SRX, 2015 Z06
Mar 31, 2008
30 posts
5 upvotes
Ontario
Marx0r wrote: He wasn't just stabbed, he was killed and burned IIRC.

Get a copy of their ID before going on a test drive, and don't go alone.
+1.

Off topic, but I wonder what happened to that rich suspect. So much outraged by public for few days and looks like everything has disappeared.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)