How to deal with kijiji contractor

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 6:44 pm
[OP]
Apr 26, 2007
693 posts
88 upvotes

How to deal with kijiji contractor

Found someone through kijiji for doing some work at my home. We agreed to a price, date. He would bring his truck to dispose garbage and also a helper.

On the first day, he showed up with some tools, no truck (said truck had some issue), did few hours of work then left. Said he will come tomorrow and work will be complete latest tomorrow.

Next day he came with another person and truck. Did only half of the work and asked me for half payment and I paid. Then said in early afternoon he will come back to complete the work in the evening. He didnt come so I called. He didnt answer and just texted he got busy. I asked when hes coming again, he didnt reply.

Third day- I have been trying to reach him by call and text all day but no response at all.

What should I do as its the third day and I have been waiting for him all day. It was supposed to be a one day job.

What should I do?
Thank my post if it helped!
12 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12726 posts
9373 upvotes
Edmonton
fizzerd wrote: Found someone through kijiji for doing some work at my home. We agreed to a price, date. He would bring his truck to dispose garbage and also a helper.

On the first day, he showed up with some tools, no truck (said truck had some issue), did few hours of work then left. Said he will come tomorrow and work will be complete latest tomorrow.

Next day he came with another person and truck. Did only half of the work and asked me for half payment and I paid. Then said in early afternoon he will come back to complete the work in the evening. He didnt come so I called. He didnt answer and just texted he got busy. I asked when hes coming again, he didnt reply.

Third day- I have been trying to reach him by call and text all day but no response at all.

What should I do as its the third day and I have been waiting for him all day. It was supposed to be a one day job.

What should I do?
Send him a text, tell him he's fired, hire another Kijiji Cowboy to finish the job. What else can you do?

C
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15036 posts
9437 upvotes
Toronto
Yep, you paid for 1/2 the job, it's taken longer, text the contractor and say bye bye and hire another kijiji handyman to rip you off.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Apr 26, 2007
693 posts
88 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Send him a text, tell him he's fired, hire another Kijiji Cowboy to finish the job. What else can you do?

C
koffey wrote: Yep, you paid for 1/2 the job, it's taken longer, text the contractor and say bye bye and hire another kijiji handyman to rip you off.
Came here for advice, not sarcasm.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12726 posts
9373 upvotes
Edmonton
fizzerd wrote: Came here for advice, not sarcasm.
It's not sarcasm. It's realism.

You can't force the guy to pick up his phone or respond to a text or even show up at your house. Your other recourse is to sue him in small claims court, but a) you'd have to track him down to serve him, and I'm guessing all you have is a name and phone number, b) It's only a one day job, he did half the work and got paid for half, so your damages are minimal, and c) even if you served him and won a judgement, you'd then have the hassles of trying to collect. Walk away from this guy, and get someone else if you don't want to do it yourself.

C
[OP]
Apr 26, 2007
693 posts
88 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: It's not sarcasm. It's realism.

You can't force the guy to pick up his phone or respond to a text or even show up at your house. Your other recourse is to sue him in small claims court, but a) you'd have to track him down to serve him, and I'm guessing all you have is a name and phone number, b) It's only a one day job, he did half the work and got paid for half, so your damages are minimal, and c) even if you served him and won a judgement, you'd then have the hassles of trying to collect. Walk away from this guy, and get someone else if you don't want to do it yourself.

C
Never got into a such a situation before. I dont want to sue him just want to get the work done. I can complete the work myself. It may take me more time but I can. If I complete the work myself, can he come tomorrow and claim payment in anyway? I keep reading about liens against house etc which scares me.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1181 posts
1069 upvotes
ON
fizzerd wrote: Found someone through kijiji for doing some work at my home. We agreed to a price, date. He would bring his truck to dispose garbage and also a helper.

What should I do?
The bold part above should tell you why he has gone ‘incognito’.

Time to search for another kijiji contractor. The only thing is that the next contractor might want to charge you more than just half the remaining payment as it’s a left over work
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12726 posts
9373 upvotes
Edmonton
fizzerd wrote: Never got into a such a situation before. I dont want to sue him just want to get the work done. I can complete the work myself. It may take me more time but I can. If I complete the work myself, can he come tomorrow and claim payment in anyway? I keep reading about liens against house etc which scares me.
That's why you send him a text to fire him. It will show in your text history with him that you've tried to contact him numerous times without success. So you say something like:

"Due to your inability to meet our agreed upon schedule and lack of communication, I'm terminating our work agreement."

He's not going to put a lien on your house for a one day job either. Just like it not being worth it for you to sue him for a one day job, it's not worth it for him to go through the hassle of putting a lien on your house and suing you. Plus again, his damages are mitigated because he got paid for the work he's done so far.

Plus he's probably not a legit contractor anyways (registered business, paying taxes, etc), so he would have more to lose than you if it comes down to a pissing match.

C
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6454 posts
2127 upvotes
BC
fizzerd wrote: ....... If I complete the work myself, can he come tomorrow and claim payment in anyway? I keep reading about liens against house etc which scares me.
Valid concern, but get it in writing that you have terminated your original verbal agreement:

- because he failed to complete the work in one day and/or he failed to answer your requests about completing the work

Doesn't sound like he has got it together enough to complete the job let alone file paperwork for a lien.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
6136 posts
4444 upvotes
fourseasoncomfort wrote: Don’t hire fly by night contractors from Kijiji.
This. Trying to save by hiring a Kijiji unlicensed contractor can lead to big issues. OP is lucky, paid 1/2 Price, hot 1/2 job done... Some pay deposit and have no work done...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5232 posts
2676 upvotes
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten” Ben Franklin
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4427 posts
4611 upvotes
GTA
Is anything in writing? I'm guessing no.