Home & Garden

How to determine if it is time to do roof shingles replacement ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2021 9:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9015 posts
745 upvotes

How to determine if it is time to do roof shingles replacement ?

My neighbor is changing roof shingles. This makes me wonder if we need to do so for the same age house (12 years old).

In general, do people usually replace roof shingles after certain years ? or after experience leaks or missing shingles ? For a ball park figure, how much we should expect the cost for 3,000 house ?

Thanks for any advice
35 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9015 posts
745 upvotes
I found my own answers from Google :)

Other than #6 below, I am not aware of any other potential signs. I guess it is good for now :)

https://www.owenscorning.com/en-us/roof ... a-new-roof

8 Potential Signs That Your Roof May Need To Be Replaced:
1. Shingle edges are curled or shingle tabs are cupped.
2. Bald spots where granules are missing.
3. Cracked shingles.
4. Your roof is at least 20 years old; while many shingles today are produced for durability, many factors can accelerate the aging of shingles. For example, if your roof is not properly ventilated, it can negatively impact your shingles.
5. The roof just looks old and worn.
6. Neighbors are getting new roofs. Homes built around the same time period can be experiencing the same types of weather conditions can mean that your roof is nearing its useful life.
7. Dark streaks. Airborne algae cause dark streaks on roof decks. While this may not necessarily harm the roof shingles, it may not look good.
8. Moss can grow on roof surfaces that don’t get much sunlight, especially in cool, moist climates. Moss growth can be more than a cosmetic issue. Moss holds moisture against the roof surface and over time in freezing climates can cause damage to the granules on the top of the shingles. Moss can be brushed off but it won’t prevent it from growing again; take care not to damage the shingle surface. You may need to contact a professional roofing contractor.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1658 posts
749 upvotes
GTA
Unless your house was brand new when you bought it, it all depends. The builder will always use the cheapest stuff so honestly 12-15 years is probably about right, but again depends on the condition of your shingles, so you have to keep on top of it. Better to change them early than waiting until you have leaks before having to spend more replacing the roof and dealing with water damage or even worse, mold issues.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9015 posts
745 upvotes
exrcoupe wrote: Unless your house was brand new when you bought it, it all depends. The builder will always use the cheapest stuff so honestly 12-15 years is probably about right, but again depends on the condition of your shingles, so you have to keep on top of it. Better to change them early than waiting until you have leaks before having to spend more replacing the roof and dealing with water damage or even worse, mold issues.
Yes, we bought our house brand new. Agree. Since it is already 12 years, we should be keeping an eye its condition.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9015 posts
745 upvotes
A roof shingle question, I am looking at the contractors who are installing the new shingles on my neighbor's roof. I thought there is supposed to have a layer in between the wooden roof and the new shingle piece, is it correct ? But I see the contractors are nailing the new shingles directly to the wooden roof. I was told by a general contractor in the past that sometime especially for new built houses where no one would see it (other than site super), contractors would skip the middle waterproof layer as no one will find out unless someone purposely remove the shingle to check.

Is it pretty normal now/new process for installing roof shingles without the middle waterproof layer ?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1658 posts
749 upvotes
GTA
Yes, many roofers will skip as many steps as possible. Roofing in Ontario, not sure where you are, is so unregulated and there's no standards that they have to follow.

I used a "certified" installer on my old place using the GAF system, but they literally skipped a step in a small area and if I wasn't home at the time, they would've not put the ice/water shield on that section.

I had the contractor who did the roof on my current place use GAF shingles, even though he normally used IKO ones, but I insisted with the GAF because I liked the product. See here: http://www.gaf.ca/roofing/residential/diy/doing_the_job
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9953 posts
9652 upvotes
Markham
My folks' place is 11 years old, everyone in that neighbourhood is changing roofs... started about 3 years ago. The people who are doing it this year have mostly said they've had structural damage from leaking water. These homes were all built together new. I would do it sooner than later, there's no point waiting.

I trust the builder supplied roofs as much as a 3 cent hooker in Marrakesh.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4964 posts
1842 upvotes
rdx wrote: My neighbor is changing roof shingles. This makes me wonder if we need to do so for the same age house (12 years old).

In general, do people usually replace roof shingles after certain years ? or after experience leaks or missing shingles ? For a ball park figure, how much we should expect the cost for 3,000 house ?

Thanks for any advice
We had slight curls ... mostly the section from the downspout and the corners that slope inwards (section above the garage ... collects water) ...

South-facing detached built in 2006 with builder shingles (darker shade ... dark grey?? which absorbs heat) ...

Just replaced (MAY 29) all for ... $4000 ... 3' Ice Shield all around ... BP Shingles (Slate Grey) ...

Peace of mind.

The lighter the colour ... the less it absorbs the heat and sun.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
May 12, 2021
44 posts
28 upvotes
Believe you’ll have to ask for the roofing felt and ice/water shield to be added to your roofing job. Pretty sure my builder roof has neither. Will I ask for these during my reroof, not sure.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2160 posts
775 upvotes
Markham
The roofing felt was only installed for the first few meters at the bottom.....at least for me. I did specified that in my contract. Maybe what they did for your neighbour.

And you need to go into your attic to inspect for leaks. Go on the roof to inspect the shingles. I do that at least once a year.
Last edited by BDSL on Jun 20th, 2021 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19604 posts
5682 upvotes
Toronto
exrcoupe wrote: Roofing in Ontario, not sure where you are, is so unregulated and there's no standards that they have to follow.
That is not correct.
I used a "certified" installer on my old place using the GAF system, but they literally skipped a step in a small area and if I wasn't home at the time, they would've not put the ice/water shield on that section.
Ontario code does not require it on the entire roof.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1648 posts
309 upvotes
It all depends, if your shingles are starting curl in the valleys and mostly on the south side of the house it is time to think about replacement.
Or how many hail storms they have gone through, your gutters will be full with grit.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1485 posts
344 upvotes
ORLEANS
So the plastic barrier between the wooden floor and the shingles is optional? Depends if the roofer wants to install?

The previous owner go his shingles replaced in 2019. Can I assume they are high quality shingles that will last 20years+? The builder grade shingles only lasted them 14 years. House is 2005. But my townhouse neighbour is still using his builder shingles. They using 16 years. I don’t think they will change this year. Hope water doesn’t come into my unit....
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3854 posts
882 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Palidino wrote: So the plastic barrier between the wooden floor and the shingles is optional? Depends if the roofer wants to install?

The previous owner go his shingles replaced in 2019. Can I assume they are high quality shingles that will last 20years+? The builder grade shingles only lasted them 14 years. House is 2005. But my townhouse neighbour is still using his builder shingles. They using 16 years. I don’t think they will change this year. Hope water doesn’t come into my unit....
If your former owner was planning on moving, good chance he put on the cheapest shingles. Google for photos of the cheaper 3 tab shingles vs architectural shingles and compare to what you have.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19604 posts
5682 upvotes
Toronto
Palidino wrote: So the plastic barrier between the wooden floor and the shingles is optional? Depends if the roofer wants to install?
No. For Ontario code it is required for only parts of the roof, not the entire roof.

People at RFD always seem to post that they saw a roofer putting shingles on bare wood and jump to the often incorrect conclusion that the roofer is skipping required steps.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2160 posts
775 upvotes
Markham
For fu*k sake....stop assuming anything...whether they are new or old.
Just go onto your roof and your attic annually for inspection.
Get your hands dirty like a responsible home owner....
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5853 posts
4152 upvotes
BDSL wrote: For fu*k sake....stop assuming anything...whether they are new or old.
Just go onto your roof and your attic annually for inspection.
Get your hands dirty like a responsible home owner....
This. I don'Mt get why people ask here, taking into consideration whatever answer, without taking a ladder and have a look by himself. From there, if not sure, he can post pics to inquire.... One must inspect their house at least once a year. I do it twice, before Winter and somewhere during Spring. Clean gutters, inspect shingles, inspect attic for any leaks - animals - insulation - condensation issues, turn off (before winter ) or turn on outside water tap, inspect doors and windows caulk, etc.... About OP's question, not because the neighbour's have some work done on the roof that you need to. And the reverse is also right, not because neighbours do not work on their roof this year that your's is still in shape.

My shingles are curling on the south side, and granules are imssing on la large part. I inspected it last automn, and this spring, and have it redone this year. Been done in 2005 with bad organic BP shingles. Lasted 16 years. I could wait a bit, but does not want to take any chances of water damages. Weather is getting worse every year.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2160 posts
775 upvotes
Markham
DoorCrasher wrote: This. I don'Mt get why people ask here, taking into consideration whatever answer, without taking a ladder and have a look by himself. From there, if not sure, he can post pics to inquire.... One must inspect their house at least once a year. I do it twice, before Winter and somewhere during Spring. Clean gutters, inspect shingles, inspect attic for any leaks - animals - insulation - condensation issues, turn off (before winter ) or turn on outside water tap, inspect doors and windows caulk, etc.... About OP's question, not because the neighbour's have some work done on the roof that you need to. And the reverse is also right, not because neighbours do not work on their roof this year that your's is still in shape.
This world is becoming pathetic. People spend more time on the internet than doing actual work. Not many work on their homes anymore. Not many work on their vehicles anymore. Not many parent their kids anymore...
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1082 posts
462 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
BDSL wrote: This world is becoming pathetic. People spend more time on the internet than doing actual work. Not many work on their homes anymore. Not many work on their vehicles anymore. Not many parent their kids anymore...
You need to finish this off with, back in my days .... lol