Computers & Electronics

How to determine what type of ram to buy for laptop

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2020 9:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 28, 2005
1665 posts
121 upvotes

How to determine what type of ram to buy for laptop

I'm new to buying ram for my laptop and I want to make sure that I am getting the correct ram.

According to the manufacturer's website it lists this spec: DDR4-2400, 2 Slots, Max 32GB.

However when I check in windows it lists the memory speed as 2133 MHz and the form factor is SODIMM. Does that mean that I need to get another stick of ram that is also 2133 MHz or is 2400 MHz also ok?

Would these be the correct ram that I would need to buy to upgrade my laptop memory?


https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=101381

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=093061

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=130210
Images
  • ram.jpg
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32624 posts
6386 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Buy the 2400 MHz

You may have your BIOS settings clocking down the RAM

Memory will always run at the lowest common denominator. If you have both 2133 and 2400, it will run at 2133

If your BIOS supports XMP, make sure it is enabled.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
2441 posts
2604 upvotes
GTA
Chances are the manufacturer gave you the slowest compatible RAM for your system.
For example, although the laptop supports 2400Mhz RAM, manufacturers will often give you a slower compatible module and offer to upgrade to 16GB of the faster memory, for a price. This is typical of Dell.ca. Most people stick with the 8 because it's often cheaper to just wait a bit and then shop around. Whatever speed memory you buy, 2400 or 2133, the whole system will run at the slowest speed because the slowest speed is a bottleneck. But the only way to know for sure is to pop open the system and remove the RAM. Goggle the numbers on the module and you'll get a definitive answer.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 28, 2005
1665 posts
121 upvotes
craigslist123 wrote: you can use cpu-z
This is what cpu-z says. The manufacturer is Samsung. I would prefer to get ram from a more reputable manufacturer that stands behind their warranty service such as corsair. I've read about a lot of bad stories about samsung not honoring warranty and whatnot. Would anyone of these rams be compatible with my system?

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=101381
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=093061
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=130210
Images
  • ram 1.jpg
  • ram 2.jpg
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 28, 2005
1665 posts
121 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: Chances are the manufacturer gave you the slowest compatible RAM for your system.
For example, although the laptop supports 2400Mhz RAM, manufacturers will often give you a slower compatible module and offer to upgrade to 16GB of the faster memory, for a price. This is typical of Dell.ca. Most people stick with the 8 because it's often cheaper to just wait a bit and then shop around. Whatever speed memory you buy, 2400 or 2133, the whole system will run at the slowest speed because the slowest speed is a bottleneck. But the only way to know for sure is to pop open the system and remove the RAM. Goggle the numbers on the module and you'll get a definitive answer.
Yeah it seems they gave me 2133 Mhz DD4.

I'm curious if anyone of these ram modules would be compatible with my system though?

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=101381
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=093061
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=130210
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
2441 posts
2604 upvotes
GTA
wolf30 wrote: Yeah it seems they gave me 2133 Mhz DD4.

I'm curious if anyone of these ram modules would be compatible with my system though?

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=101381
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=093061
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=130210
If you plan to just add more RAM, the first one is the same speed at least. The other two are faster than your current one, so those are better if you plan to replace the original unless you don't care and they are cheaper.
Whether it fits the specs of your specific laptop I don't know, you should share as much info about the laptop model as you can. Bottom of the laptop there is often a sticker with all the info, like a model number.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 28, 2005
1665 posts
121 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: If you plan to just add more RAM, the first one is the same speed at least. The other two are faster than your current one, so those are better if you plan to replace the original unless you don't care and they are cheaper.
Whether it fits the specs of your specific laptop I don't know, you should share as much info about the laptop model as you can. Bottom of the laptop there is often a sticker with all the info, like a model number.
Yeah, I'm not looking to replace my existing stick of ram so either option is OK. I just want to make sure that it's the correct type (SO-DIMM?) before I go out there and buy a stick, otherwise I may run into issues either installing it or when returning the stick of ram to get a different type. I just need another stick of 16gb of ram to help my machine run smoother when using the adobe programs especially after-effects which seems to be a huge resource hog, along with chrome when I have over 10 tabs open.

Here is what the sticker of the laptop says: GL62M 7REX and here is the official spec sheet from the manufacturer MSI but there are slight differences between the models ie. mines has 4gb of video memory vs the 2gb on the msi site:

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GL62M-7REX/Specification

So far from what cpu-z and what windows is telling me, along with the limited info available from msi, it seems DDR4 SODIMM 2133 or 2400MHZ is the right type of ram that I should be getting but then again, I have no experience with purchasing and installing ram on a laptop.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
2441 posts
2604 upvotes
GTA
wolf30 wrote: Yeah, I'm not looking to replace my existing stick of ram so either option is OK. I just want to make sure that it's the correct type (SO-DIMM?) before I go out there and buy a stick, otherwise I may run into issues either installing it or when returning the stick of ram to get a different type. I just need another stick of 16gb of ram to help my machine run smoother when using the adobe programs especially after-effects which seems to be a huge resource hog, along with chrome when I have over 10 tabs open.

Here is what the sticker of the laptop says: GL62M 7REX and here is the official spec sheet from the manufacturer MSI but there are slight differences between the models ie. mines has 4gb of video memory vs the 2gb on the msi site:

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GL62M-7REX/Specification

So far from what cpu-z and what windows is telling me, along with the limited info available from msi, it seems DDR4 SODIMM 2133 or 2400MHZ is the right type of ram that I should be getting but then again, I have no experience with purchasing and installing ram on a laptop.
I believe all of them would work but the second is the cheapest. It is also G.Skill brand, which I have no clue about their products. I'd say one of the first two based on price.
c'mon get happy!

Top