Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1455 posts
796 upvotes

How did you find your passion for photography

Did it start as a simple hobby? Was it because you saw an amazing picture which made you want to do something similar? Did it start with your smartphone camera and you wished for more? etc.

I'll start and I'll try to make it short:

I got a big zoom P&S camera 7 years ago as a college graduation gift. Liked it, never went further than auto mode. Bought a Sony Nex-3 (their first mirrorless) 5 years ago. Liked it, never went past aperture priority because is was extremely tedious to use manual mode and I was too lazy to do so. Until the beginning of last year, I was taking pictures mostly for keeping memories of events and stuff. It was more like something I had to do, not something I enjoy very much doing. It was a bit enjoyable for sure, just nothing passionate. And last Q1 of 2015, I got the Nikon D610. Started watching tutorials on youtube, learning to use it at it's full potential, and got used to manual mode really quickly thanks to all the physical dials vs my old Nex-3. And ever since then, I felt in love with photography because now, I know and understand the technicality, challenge and creativity behind each photos. It's more than just a click.

I'm also really passionate of post processing and I'm hoping to get even better by improving my illustration skill.

Who's next to share his or her story?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
338 upvotes
In another world
I have a wedding photographer friend. She was my inspiration.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1277 posts
1044 upvotes
Montreal
I first started with a Canon super-zoom camera and I took an awesome picture of a squirrel 7 years ago. I then upgraded to a Canon EOS T1i and started taking portraits. Later upgraded to Canon 7D to start taking wedding pictures, soon realised that I needed a full frame so upgraded to a 6D.

Fast fordward to today, I realised how much Canon bodies suck so switched it all to Nikon D750 and now professionaly shoot weddings and portraits. Now focusing on Instagram with 11k followers.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3582 posts
812 upvotes
Yearbook photographer back in the day. Developed and printed our own photos in the darkroom. Great way to meet girls !!
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
338 upvotes
In another world
Havo wrote: So are you a wedding photographer now?
Not really. As starter, I'm trying to find my niche.
May 11, 2016
8 posts
Took a class in school as an afterthought. Now run a small side business with my "hobby." :)
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3177 posts
513 upvotes
I bought a DSLR in 2008 and it forced me to learn how to use a camera properly. I haven't looked back. Now, the challenge is to take photos that mean something.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1169 posts
96 upvotes
Travelled a lot as a kid, all over the world (Dad worked for an airline, Mom a geography teacher). Mom always had a camera with her to capture the family, usually with a photo ending up on the kitchen wall. Then she bought a new camera, switching from an old Yashica SLR to an Olympus with a built-in zoom lens and all the bells and whistles of the time in a consumer film camera. She let me use the Yashica with it's 28mm lens on a trip to the Galapagos as a teenager, showed me a couple things, and I blew through film taking pictures of birds and turtles and sea lions. Not long after she decided I needed my own camera, so I got a Rebel 2000 with a couple lenses (28-70 and 70-200 I think?), and it made a few more trips with me, as well as wandering around town, and blasting through film.

Digital was in its infancy at the time, and I decided I'd buy one when they hit 5mp for under $500. I bought an Petax Optio 555 the day before a trip to Key West. I didn't buy enough memory (256mb just wouldn't cut it). More memory was bought before a trip to Israel with that same, great little camera. The sand made it a bit grindy though.

Bought mom an Olympus C-5050, she loved it.

Then came the Canon sd700, which I liked so much I bought one for a friend, and a brother. Mine eventually made it to mom.

Shortly after that I decided DSLR was worth a look and got a Canon XTi with a Sigma 18-200 OS lens just before heading off to Iceland and Israel a second time - I was going to try my hand at HDR and needed something that shot RAW. The XTi was joined over time by multiple lenses, a tripod, flashes, a promote control, Einstein lights and their accessories, gels, filters, and many other random little bits and pieces. Also grabbed a Casio Exilim so I could always have a camera in my pocket, which has obviously been replaced by my phone these days.

The XTi made it for years, and still works, but I had hit the limits of what it could do, plus more (a hack here or there), so a 7D came into my life shortly after I started taking some actual courses to advance what I knew. It was meant to be placeholder until the 5d mk III came out, but the 7D kept being fine (and going to Japan, Ireland, and elsewhere) until my recent move to the Sony a7ii - it's only made it to Vegas and Quebec so far, but it's by far the best camera I've had, and it's reinvigorated what was a flagging hobby.

So yah... travel and my mother. Also, all the money I've sunk into this over the years can be a motivator to keep it up :) .
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4152 posts
725 upvotes
Toronto
I was interested in photography as a teenager, and did some work in the darkroom as well. As an adult, what has inspired me most was looking through books of work by the masters (Adams, Sexton, Salgado, Cartier-Bresson, Erwitt, etc.) as well as instructional texts focusing on composition and the "art" of photography. Using older cameras (twin-lens reflex, rangefinders, and folding roll-film cameras) was also a big influence, in a way, though I have tried hard to avoid becoming gear-obsessed (otherwise, photography becomes more about the tools than about the end result).
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1060 posts
724 upvotes
Montr
Well, I thought that I have passion for photography.

However recently I realized that I liked photography because my first 2-3 girlfriends were pretty and I took pictures of them and me with them. Since a while I don't have pretty girlfriends anymore and my DSRL is collecting dust more often than being in action lol
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1766 posts
278 upvotes
I watched Hayao Miyazaki's Laputa - Castles in the Sky and then I asked for my first camera, a nikon coolpix 5700 and that was pretty much it!
Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing
Banned
Jul 12, 2016
329 posts
181 upvotes
I won in a photo-competition at school and it kinda made me fall in love photography.. I didn't even know before that I was actually good at it. It was a picture of a flower store.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4967 posts
4085 upvotes
Edmonton
I have no artistic ability but I wanted a hobby. I was studying engineering, and being a technical guy I understood the camera very quickly. Started taking photos of everything, trying to learn technique, and the 'art' of it. I still don't think I have artistic ability but I sure can sell you a camera or two lol.

I fell in love with photography when decided to take my t2i and reverse mount a $20 old manual lens and pulled an all righter to take a photo of a common house fly. I build a cardboard light box, with thin white cloth as a diffuser. I glued the dead fly onto a toothpick. I had my t2i, one flash, kit lens and the cheap $20 lens.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals