Shopping Discussion

How to disable currency converter for Amazon.ca?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2020 12:22 am
[OP]
Feb 2, 2003
462 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
Jucius Maximus wrote: I've been caught by this.

When you are going through the check-out process, you have to edit the payment method.
In here, you will see an option to specify the currency of each credit card. You need to change the card back to CAD.
You won't see this option unless you are actually in the middle of a check-out.

Image:
amazon_checkout.png

What complicates things is that Amazon.com and Amazon.ca share the same back-end settings. It wasn't always this way, but they've changed it now.
Let's say you are using Brim MC with no Forex fees - if you are shopping on Amazon.com (USA), you'll want to be charged in USD. But the Amazon.com (USA) site will remeber the settings from Amazon.ca (Canada) and convert everything to CAD! So then you will change the settings again so your Brim card will be charged in USD.
Of course when you come back to Amazon.ca, it will remember the settings from Amazon.com (USA) and try to charge you in USD again.

What a piece of work. I don't know why Amazon has put so much effort into making shopping more complicated and difficult. THERE IS SEEMINGLY NO WAY TO DISABLE THIS. AND I HATE IT!!!
Thanks for posting this! I hope whatever I did sticks because it seems ok for now.
For the last few weeks, I've been able to remember to click to CAD but I know one day I'll be down to the wire on a lightning deal or something and mess it up so I wanted to fix it.

I had issues logging in with Prime as well for awhile because the site kept mistaking amazon.com and .ca.
I order a lot of Kindle books from the US site but have managed to get around any issues by using a gift card so I haven't had any issues so far.
Fingers crossed that it stays that way!

I agree that they are making things way more complicated nowadays.
Case in point - hiding the items you buy from your email receipt.
I want a copy that I can refer to. I don't want to play a guessing game every time I receive a shipment notification either!
I just think they're trying to drive us nuts sometimes.
Just because I can't deal with customer service lately, I am trying to make a concerted effort to shop less at Ammy.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18711 posts
21394 upvotes
GTA
Nikitty wrote: Thanks for posting this! I hope whatever I did sticks because it seems ok for now.
For the last few weeks, I've been able to remember to click to CAD but I know one day I'll be down to the wire on a lightning deal or something and mess it up so I wanted to fix it.

I had issues logging in with Prime as well for awhile because the site kept mistaking amazon.com and .ca.
I order a lot of Kindle books from the US site but have managed to get around any issues by using a gift card so I haven't had any issues so far.
Fingers crossed that it stays that way!

I agree that they are making things way more complicated nowadays.
Case in point - hiding the items you buy from your email receipt.
I want a copy that I can refer to. I don't want to play a guessing game every time I receive a shipment notification either!
I just think they're trying to drive us nuts sometimes.
Just because I can't deal with customer service lately, I am trying to make a concerted effort to shop less at Ammy.
Yup, nothing they do is by accident. These "features" are designed to make you make mistakes, and make them more money.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20887 posts
5466 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
engineered wrote: Yup, nothing they do is by accident. These "features" are designed to make you make mistakes, and make them more money.
Amazon's FX spread seems to be 2.5%, which is equal to most credit cards. (Most people never heard of Brim, Home Trust, etc.)

I wouldn't attribute this to malice. I think they want to avoid complaints from customers who returned something and lost money due to Forex fluctuations, or differences in the CC surcharges for purchases vs returns.

I just wish that Amazon would provide a way to globally turn this crap off. THEY ARE GOING BACKWARDS, IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE!
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18711 posts
21394 upvotes
GTA
Jucius Maximus wrote: Amazon's FX spread seems to be 2.5%, which is equal to most credit cards. (Most people never heard of Brim, Home Trust, etc.)

I wouldn't attribute this to malice. I think they want to avoid complaints from customers who returned something and lost money due to Forex fluctuations, or differences in the CC surcharges for purchases vs returns.

I just wish that Amazon would provide a way to globally turn this crap off. THEY ARE GOING BACKWARDS, IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE!
You think Amazon doesn't want that 2.5% per transaction? That's HUGE. They'd love to take that from the CC's. I just use different accounts for .ca and .com
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20887 posts
5466 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
engineered wrote: You think Amazon doesn't want that 2.5% per transaction? That's HUGE. They'd love to take that from the CC's. I just use different accounts for .ca and .com
Sure they'd like to get the 2.5%, but I wouldn't attribute it to malice. The new PayPal 4% forex fees, now that's malice.

And using different accounts is a minefield if you use their phone apps, since they're not designed to easily switch accounts and they integrate together. Good luck if you use the vastly superior US-based versions of some of their services, like many of us do, and also have a separate account dedicated to Canadian Amazon.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18711 posts
21394 upvotes
GTA
Jucius Maximus wrote: Sure they'd like to get the 2.5%, but I wouldn't attribute it to malice. The new PayPal 4% forex fees, now that's malice.

And using different accounts is a minefield if you use their phone apps, since they're not designed to easily switch accounts and they integrate together. Good luck if you use the vastly superior US-based versions of some of their services, like many of us do, and also have a separate account dedicated to Canadian Amazon.
It could be malice because you'd rather pay none on your Brim card. Or the CC would rather make that 2.5%.
Yea, I would never install an amazon app on my phone. I don't use their services either, except for prime video very occasionally on my HTPC.
That said, if using android, you could install the app twice, one on personal app and one on work apps. That should work like you need it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)