• Feb 8th, 2021 9:54 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 2, 2017
106 posts
7 upvotes

How To Do a Condo Inspection: FTHB

Good Afternoon,

I'm waiting for my apartment to close in two weeks, and I get the opportunity to have another inspection tommorrow.

Now I did download some videos on how to do a home inspection, but what is a DIY way to do an apartment inspection?

I did originally let the taps run and didnt see any water leaks.

What and How else should I be inspecting this apartment?

Thanks.
5 replies
Mar 23, 2015
66 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Knock on all the cupboard doors and make sure they aren't made of paper

Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
1174 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
A former colleague used to light a candle next to a window. If it flickers there is a draft at the window. Check the caulking has been in the bathroom properly. For tiles, the grout is done correctly. Look for any cracks in the plaster on ceilings or check the walls that no taping is showing.
[OP]
Nov 2, 2017
106 posts
7 upvotes
dougboswell wrote: A former colleague used to light a candle next to a window. If it flickers there is a draft at the window. Check the caulking has been in the bathroom properly. For tiles, the grout is done correctly. Look for any cracks in the plaster on ceilings or check the walls that no taping is showing.
Thank you,

What you mean by grout done correctly?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1229 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
Bring a electrical plug tester, test a few sockets to make sure they are properly grounded

Test the sink (fill it while plugged) and release all the water at once. Inspect drain underneath for any leaks.

Verify shower diverter spout diverts 100% of the water, could be defective.

Verify all windows seal and lock properly.

Inspect the electrical panel for any signs of burning/dmg.

Test all appliances (each burner/oven/fridge/freezer, maybe skip dishwasher...)

I mean realistically you wouldn't find anything big enough to warrant sufficient reason to back out of a contract anyhow.
Aug 13, 2020
257 posts
325 upvotes
You can use a home inspector, should cost 200-300$.