Careers

How do I become an accounting/business prof?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2012 10:19 pm
[OP]
Jul 28, 2012
203 posts
42 upvotes

How do I become an accounting/business prof?

I'll be finishing up my CA in a few months and I'm thinking of going back to school for an MBA. Would this be the best route for me to take should I want to become a university/college professor?
6 replies
Sep 18, 2011
362 posts
40 upvotes
AURORA
back in the day........the good ol' days, if you get a decent mark as a student you could have taught the class.

Now, they would want someone with a PhD level...or atleast some industry experience. They wont hire just a nobody.... and i am referring to Community College level.
They want to see that you worked in a high position, not just doing sales and what not... be an associate/partner and so forth.... and also written some papers for a business review/journal...

Its not as easy as it sounds.... it looks fun...maybe 2 classes x 3 hours to teach each day max...and great breaks + benefits...but its hard work....
Jun 4, 2005
149 posts
6 upvotes
Actually, this is a viable route. From what I've seen, the minimum education requirement is a Bachelor's plus CA/CGA/CMA or a Master's in Accounting. In BC, most institutions also require a BC Provincial Instructor Diploma (so there might be something like that in Ontario).

Post-secondary teaching experience varies. I've seen job postings where they require no teaching experience, but those positions are in rural areas. Obviously, a top university in Canada would be looking for extensive experience and research credentials.

BTW, you don't need a PhD to be a "lecturer" in accounting. You just need a PhD if you want to be a "professor." Accounting degrees/diplomas are taught by a combination of lecturers, assistant professors, associate professors, professors, etc. This is the case at UBC and it's probably the same everywhere.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
3703 posts
1631 upvotes
I don't believe that PHD and Maters are "must" to teach in post secondary institute. Couple of my business profs were still working full-time at their firms and at the same time teaching few classes. Some of them were also in management consulting industry so they were very professional at giving our or presenting information (I consider "teaching" has similar mechanism). At least, this is how I see in business classes...
Sep 14, 2008
796 posts
117 upvotes
Vancouver
A few of my instructors mentioned it wasn't TOO difficult landing an instructor/lecturer job with only their undergrads and their CAs.
Of course, they would have had their designations before the market became flooded with everyone getting their designations and watering down the value so who knows what the criteria is for people with designations trying to land a job in education.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2052 posts
609 upvotes
Hamilton
You pretty much need a Master's degree to start at the College level. If you're teaching something 'practical' like tax then you'd want to be in that speciality and you'd need the CICA in-depth tax course or equivalent. But the instructors in these areas are part timers.

To be full time faculty at a university you need a Ph.D. or at least working towards one.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4255 posts
1024 upvotes
Sounds like you've already missed some great opportunities to get experience.

I don't think this post will help the OP much.. but for any aspiring CA students, the easiest path to get academic experience and insight is to mark practise exams at your firm, try to TA at university level.. try to mark the SOA, UFE. I'm not sure if it matters where you mark it, but mark it for your firm, mark it for your friends. Try to hook up with the PASS or the other training programs.

You could have started down this path right after you wrote the UFE by helping people prep for the CKE, and the SOA, or the UFE in any sort of capacity. The tough thing with this stuff is that:
1. the farther removed you are from the process, the less people want to hear from you.. so get started this fall with the CKE.. this way.. you can stay relevant
2. each of the exams sits once a year and it's prob too late for you to sign up to mark the UFE if you don't have significant prior experience.

Overall, it takes years to build up a network and it isn't an overnight switch. For example, you might start marking the exams.. which may lead to being a TA, which may lead to lecturing a single course, which may lead to a full time load.. but that takes years. It wont' happen overnight so start as early as you can in your career. You won't go from auditing to become a full time lecturer just because you get your letters..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)