• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2021 12:39 pm
[OP]
May 2, 2021
1 posts
1 upvote

How do I become a nurse in Ontario Canada with my previous degree

Hello everyone,
I am a Registered Midwife in Nigeria, did my BNSc in a school in the UK, just graduated (Jan 2021). I recently did my ECA with WES and my education is equivalent to a BSc in Canada, but I currently live in Nigeria.
My question is, how do I become a Registered Nurse in Canada, Ontario to be precise? We are currently working on our PR to Canada and we should have gotten it in the next six months by Gods grace
How do I start the process, please I need your help
11 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12673 posts
9289 upvotes
Edmonton
You can start here:
https://www.nnas.ca/

Please be cautious. I am NOT familiar with that organization, but there are a number of organizations that assist with assisting foreign medical workers becoming licensed in Canada. I am familiar with AIMGA (which is Alberta focused), but was only involved with the physician side of things. I don't know if they offer assistance for nurses as well, but they might be able to direct you.
https://aimga.ca/

Good luck!

C
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1769 posts
2048 upvotes
I know of someone who was a nurse in Italy before coming to Canada. I haven't seen him for a couple of years but be prepared for a long process with a lot of hurdles as the professional bodies have high expectations for anyone coming from outside the country. The number of slots for people with foreign qualifications is limited to a small number each year. Be prepared as it can be quite stressful. Please do your research and have realistic expectations. Good luck!
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
10217 posts
2001 upvotes
I dont see the value in trying to come in when you can stay in the UK to practice. The professional bodies in countries are there to give foreigner a hard time to be licensed. That for all regulated professionals.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2896 posts
1606 upvotes
Ottawa
spike1128 wrote: I dont see the value in trying to come in when you can stay in the UK to practice. The professional bodies in countries are there to give foreigner a hard time to be licensed. That for all regulated professionals.
Well UK nursing salaries are a fraction of Canada's. Our cost of living is also lower. I'd also argue Canada provides better opportunity for immigrant children than UK as well.

Yes it will be difficult for sure.
May 27, 2012
255 posts
105 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
I'm a LPN Rpn from Ontario.

Start with CNO.org they are the licensing body in Ontario

Nursing license are provincial so you need to decide where you wish to live and work.

I would highly recommend looking at coat of living such as car insurance/appartment rent and how easily you can find employment

Even though I studied in Ontario and got my Ontario license....cost of living was too high and finding permanent full time job was hard

So I applied for Yukon license and started working in Yukon where cost of living was low
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1116 posts
87 upvotes
If you are interested in practicing in Canada. It is best to look into each provincial governing body to see what equivalency on your degree and go from there. There will be bunch of hurdles to jump.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5519 posts
4590 upvotes
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote: Not necessarily.
Compared to UK we generally are especially for comparable lifestyle. A flat in London is way more expensive, taxes higher while earnings are lower except for sectors like finance
Jul 31, 2017
779 posts
331 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Compared to UK we generally are especially for comparable lifestyle. A flat in London is way more expensive, taxes higher while earnings are lower except for sectors like finance

London is not representative of the entire UK, just as Vancouver is not representative of all of Canada.