How do I get an old iphone 5S unlocked?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2020 12:02 am
[OP]
Sep 1, 2020
1 posts

How do I get an old iphone 5S unlocked?

Hey everyone!
So last week I dropped my beloved iPhone SE onto a cement floor and broke the screen. Then while replacing the screen, I shorted something out and now the phone is completely dead. (Lesson: always disconnect battery!)

Anyways, a relative gave me an iPhone 5S so I could use it until I can afford a new phone... great! Unfortunately the phone is locked. I called my carrier (Freedom) to unlock it and they said that they require original proof of purchase - which is obviously something that has long since been thrown away. I don't know what carrier the phone used to be used on, and my cousin doesn't remember either.
5 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15564 posts
4152 upvotes
Markham
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21241 posts
2526 upvotes
Toronto
Assuming the iphone 5s is from a Cdn carrier....

Then you can find out thru process of elimination....

Grab an old sim from Rogers, Bell & Telus and pop it in...

Whichever doesn't show "carrier locked" means it is from that carrier.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Aug 5, 2012
259 posts
64 upvotes
Another process of elimination method. Ask the cousin, have you ever been on Rogers? Bell? Telus?

Not remembering which carrier is fine but not remembering if he/she been a subscriber of a certain carrier is odd.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19011 posts
8639 upvotes
Oakville
AlanisCoulier wrote: Hey everyone!
So last week I dropped my beloved iPhone SE onto a cement floor and broke the screen. Then while replacing the screen, I shorted something out and now the phone is completely dead. (Lesson: always disconnect battery!)

Anyways, a relative gave me an iPhone 5S so I could use it until I can afford a new phone... great! Unfortunately the phone is locked. I called my carrier (Freedom) to unlock it and they said that they require original proof of purchase - which is obviously something that has long since been thrown away. I don't know what carrier the phone used to be used on, and my cousin doesn't remember either.
Not sure why Freedom would require original proof of purchase to unlock... But at any rate - only the carrier that it's locked to can unlock it, so Freedom wouldn't be able to do anything for you. You should be able to find out the original carrier from the imei.info link posted above. But if you can't, you could always just try the live chat on carriers' sites to try to get them to unlock it for you.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1099 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rollei wrote: Not remembering which carrier is fine but not remembering if he/she been a subscriber of a certain carrier is odd.
Took the words out of my mouth lol.