Shopping Discussion

How do I get purchase protection on Costco item bought with Costco mastercard but no receipt?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2019 2:24 pm
[OP]
May 26, 2011
50 posts
22 upvotes
VANCOUVER

How do I get purchase protection on Costco item bought with Costco mastercard but no receipt?

I bought a merino wool shirt Nov 14 and saw it on sale $6 off Dec 22nd. I took a picture of the sale and bought another shirt....
Can I get the $6 back from my initial purchase? The mastercard I used has purchase protection but I don't have the receipt anymore. I heard Costco will have a record? Any deal guru's know the ins and outs of this $6 savings? :P
7 replies
Nov 29, 2019
75 posts
75 upvotes
Costco offers price adjustment if your purchase was made within 30 days prior to the change in price. So in your case the price adjustment period has ended, and the only way to get $6 back is to return the item and buy it at the cheaper price. I never had a problem returning an item without the receipt since they keep the record of my purchases on their system (occasional sigh and a lecture about bringing the receipt depending on the person who is helping you) but you know the exact date of your previous purchase so maybe it will make their job easier..
Just make sure you check the price so the person isn't returning your recent purchase which is already $6 cheaper. FYI, even though Costco will do return without the receipt, in my experience, they will never do price adjustment without the receipt.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2200 posts
1220 upvotes
Vancouveresque
OP is asking about price protection through their mastercard, not through Costco. You'll need your receipt, which Costco can dig up for you, but it's not going to be worth your time to contact the mastercard claims center for a big $6. The phone number is 1.800.627.8372.

https://www.mastercard.ca/en-ca/consume ... efits.html
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Capitalism is a plague on this planet. Get that crap out of your signature.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1055 posts
387 upvotes
Toronto
I once brought item and my Costco card and they looked up the purchase by on my account
Nov 29, 2019
75 posts
75 upvotes
ranjeet2000 wrote: What is purchase protection?
Most premium Mastercard, Visa, and others offer you the following:

- Extended warranty
Doubles the original manufacturer's or store brand warranty for up to one year when you pay with your eligible Mastercard.

- Price protection
Should you find a lower price for a new item within 60 days from the date of purchase using your eligible Mastercard, you may be reimbursed for the price difference.

- Purchase protection
Provides coverage for most items you purchase with your eligible Mastercard if the item is damaged or stolen within 90 days of the date of purchase.

But these offers usually come with a fine print at the bottom and make things so complicated to get your money back. You require a great deal of patience while they review your case, and to finally receive a cheque.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1055 posts
387 upvotes
Toronto
I had no idea about price protection. I wonder if it works for travel...