How do I know when is the best time to buy flight tickets

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 29th, 2020 12:55 pm
[OP]
May 25, 2019
339 posts
269 upvotes

How do I know when is the best time to buy flight tickets

I'm going to florida in july, but I'm not sure if the ticket price I see now will get lower or higher. I'm happy with the price of it now but I'll be kicking myself if it gets lower in the future I'm not sure how airline prices work

Anybody have any tips?

The price has been pretty stable for a few days
13 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15137 posts
12224 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
We belong to Air Canada Aeroplan
And subscribe to their emails
Lol ... they actually tell us when there is a sale / best time to buy
(Vs going to the website ... and guessing if what you see is a good deal)

Right now ... AC has 15% OFF all BASE Fares to Sun Destinations ... ends today (fly by Sept 30th)
As well as...
Last Minutes Deals for flights to Florida
If you are looking at the AC Website ... that’s probably what you are seeing reflected in the price
One of these 2 deals

Also ...
Bonus Miles for any US Destinations on Standard Economy thru Business Class
(+ 50% on Standard Economy
(+ 100% on Economy Flex, Comfort, Latitude, Premium Rouge, Premium Economy, or Biz Class)
Register & Book for this offer by March 20th ... and fly by June 30th

* Like the last offer ... some are only available to those registered to get the emails
So worth signing up for Aeroplan
Personally we now book most of our AC Flights once we’ve gotten notice of a Sale and compared prices
Example ... I know I will be flying next for leisure in the early Summer
I am watching prices now .... when I get an offer from Air Canada
I will check again to confirm it’s a REAL DEAL (usually is)
And will book when the price is best
Gotta play this game if you are booking a non refundable ticket

Otherwise ... no real way to know if the price is good or not
Or if it will go up or down in the future

TIPS - Always check the price of BOTH a return Tkt as well as one way ones
Sometimes there are significant differences
Especially so if you are flexible with your dates (ie willing to fly mid week etc)
Or fly the red eye

Book direct
It’s the best way to ensure you are in a position to receive compensation if something should go wrong on your booking or flight
Also ... truth is price is the same everywhere
Resellers literally have the same prices
Last edited by PointsHubby on Feb 25th, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9317 posts
10872 upvotes
Vancouver
Maria8534 wrote: I'm going to florida in july, but I'm not sure if the ticket price I see now will get lower or higher. I'm happy with the price of it now but I'll be kicking myself if it gets lower in the future I'm not sure how airline prices work

Anybody have any tips?

If you're happy with the price now, then buy now. There's no way to know when a price may go down in the future. If you wait and the price goes up instead of down, you'll be kicking yourself much harder.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5809 posts
2938 upvotes
Mississauga
I’ve heard rumblings that prices will only increase for summer travel due to the 737MAX disaster and resultant lack of capacity. May be best for OP to buy now.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3235 posts
1851 upvotes
Edmonton
Maria8534 wrote: I'm going to florida in july, but I'm not sure if the ticket price I see now will get lower or higher. I'm happy with the price of it now but I'll be kicking myself if it gets lower in the future I'm not sure how airline prices work

Anybody have any tips?

Like the stock market and Amazon, prices go up and down.

Your best bet is to monitor prices so that you know the difference between a good price and a bad price. Also, if an airline is having a seat sale, that is generally good time to get a good price. Once you are at the eight week mark prior to your trip, you should have bought it by then.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6872 posts
1299 upvotes
Scarborough
July is high season so buy it now
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4194 posts
3475 upvotes
Toronto
If you use Google Flights: LINK and look up a flight, it'll tell you if the price is higher or lower than the average for that itinerary. If it's lower, jump on it.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1703 posts
1910 upvotes
Vancouver
Hopper app is basically this. Google Flights also shows historic pricing.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21081 posts
15019 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mikebc wrote: Google Flights also shows historic pricing.
Google Flights lets you save potential itineraries, then sends email alerts when the price changes. This can be useful to catch promos, price errors, etc.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7178 posts
1943 upvotes
T dot 6
mrweather wrote: I’ve heard rumblings that prices will only increase for summer travel due to the 737MAX disaster and resultant lack of capacity. May be best for OP to buy now.
I read that also but with Coronavirus spreading, less and less people are travelling so more capacity is available.

“We’re seeing a 13% decrease in bookings of flights and hotels and a 21% decrease in in-app revenue worldwide,"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/202 ... 785648002/
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1612 posts
353 upvotes
Vancouver
You just have to monitor the pricing or wait for a sale.
[OP]
May 25, 2019
339 posts
269 upvotes
I bought the tickets today I'm so glad I waited a day or 2 because westjet had a 25% off sale today and didnt raise the original price of the tickets!

1330 for 2 adults and a child round trip!