Shopping Discussion

How do I lodge a complaint against Rogers?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2021 3:36 pm
[OP]
Oct 30, 2010
326 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto

How do I lodge a complaint against Rogers?

Rogers came to my property without my permission while I was away, and caused some damage to my roof shingles and left nails all over which could fall into the drain pipe/roof gutter at any moment, apparently trying to install a temporary power line since their underground one was broken or whatever. I'm not even a Rogers customer. My property is brand new so my builder contacted Rogers and confirmed it was them, and contacted me about it afterwards. I called Rogers and the rep "opened a case" but refused to give me a case number because "I wasn't a Rogers customer", promising I'll receive a callback within 48 hours. Of course, I didn't receive a callback, so I called Rogers again. Now they're basically transferring me to different departments all saying "xx should be able to help you with it", none of them are taking any action. Apparently they expect me to sign up to be their customer, after they came to my property without my permission and caused damages, in order to open a case. LOL. "Hey we trespassed onto your property and caused some damages, but would you still like to buy our overpriced shit?"

Anyone know of any other routes to raise some commotion so someone from Rogers steps up and gives me a proper solution? Social media maybe? BBB?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3060 posts
2096 upvotes
Canadia
Call their customer support line and ask for them for the details of their insurance company. Tell them that you would like to file a claim for property damage. This will confuse the CSR and they will have to escalate the call.

Politely explain that Rogers damaged your roof and left nails on the site, that you've called previously to ask them to resolve the problem and reiterate that you'd like their insurance company information to file a claim.

Be nice.

Make sure you have taken photos of the damage and documented it. You'll need this later.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5894 posts
1220 upvotes
Toronto
Contact whoever your builder contacted. Any "customer" channel would get you nowhere.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5931 posts
3708 upvotes
Toronto
I hate how we have such weak oversight on this.
Disgusted that the Liberals have the idiotic mindset to blindly adhere to Big 3 lobbying.

Years back, during winter, Bell needed to access my parents backyard, to run cabling underground.
My parents thought nothing of it, and consented.
They were working on things, brought a massive fibre coil into their backyard.
Then poof - they vanished, leaving this massive spool.
After a few months (and spring approaching) I got involved.

Same boat - had no idea what to do, or who to contact.

Ended up contacting their city councillors office, and got them to look into it.
Recommend you do the same - they are paid to take care of this crap, and have the connection to higher up executives.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13217 posts
10091 upvotes
GTA, ON
Quick search online, but not sure if this is still valid:

ombudsman@rci.rogers.com
fax (416-935-6304)

Can always give that a go.
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
May 7, 2018
8 posts
5 upvotes
I had the same problem with Bell installing Fibre optics. They were ripping my yard up and removing my walkway pavers without even asking me about it. Told me the city gave them permission. I told them it wasn't city property but they didn't care.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35923 posts
22062 upvotes
Center of Universe
mikemar1 wrote: I had the same problem with Bell installing Fibre optics. They were ripping my yard up and removing my walkway pavers without even asking me about it. Told me the city gave them permission. I told them it wasn't city property but they didn't care.
Ottawa...
City right-of-way
This term refers to the City-owned portion of a piece of land. It is very often wider than the road and sidewalks that may abut your property and can extend to a considerable extent onto your property.
Dec 24, 2007
315 posts
494 upvotes
under tall pines
they have easements, they are absolutely allowed to do the work. they are not allowed to damage your property. i'd probably speak to a paralegal
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17797 posts
15248 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
vkizzle wrote: Ottawa...
City right-of-way
This term refers to the City-owned portion of a piece of land. It is very often wider than the road and sidewalks that may abut your property and can extend to a considerable extent onto your property.
This

Ottawa was / is really bad for this.
But I suspect many other big cities with urban sprawl aren’t much better

My Ottawa Lot was 100 feet deep

We had a catch basin in our backyard.
And it was also the utility corridor for Bell, Rogers, etc

I thought that was it …

Until the city dug up our street to repave update sewers etc
That’s when I discovered I also had a major front yard city easement
Which really wasn’t clearly spelled out when I bought my house
Up front … 12 feet
Where the Water, Gas, and Hydro ran

Total easements on my property 20+ feet = 20%

Mind you none of this ever bothered me to any great extent most of the time
As things operated as they should

But it sure was in your face when work was being done by the city / approved by the city for upgrades etc
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6821 posts
3801 upvotes
Mississauga
Easements are clearly spelled out in a land survey. In our case, runs 11 metres back from the centerline of our street. So while we maintain that portion of our yard, we haven’t spent much money sprucing it up because we know the city could come along at anytime and and rip it out to access the utilities that run through there.
Sep 26, 2011
255 posts
306 upvotes
Easements are not a licence to destroy property; they're usually about providing occasional access across land, with explicit provisions for restoring damage.

Even though access to information has become so much easier in recent years, I'd guess that realtors are getting lazier with checking for easements when buying/selling houses. Everything is so rushed, and they just want their commission, quick. Then the uninformed homeowner has a nasty surprise some day in the future.
Anyone can go to www.onland.ca and lookup their address. If the corresponding legal description shows a reference number after the notation "S/T" then there's almost certainly an easement against title that can be downloaded. Teranet loves charging fees just for access to the documents, but sometimes it's worth it, rather than paying a lawyer to do it for you. Land surveys also show if easements exist, but for the unfamiliar, these legal documents are not easy reading.

I doubt the OP has a Rogers easement on their property. Rogers rarely has easements, registered or otherwise, on residential land. Rogers contractors are usually dumb enough to not understand what an easement is, anyway, and will just take the "easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission" approach.
Another way to light a fire under someone at Rogers would be to write their legal department (usually has to be done via mail, not electronically) or ask your cityhall for the contact information of the local Rogers system planner or field manager. Sometimes they're listed on checklists for building/demolition permits on municipal websites.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6192 posts
2175 upvotes
Montreal
shikotee wrote: I hate how we have such weak oversight on this.
Disgusted that the Liberals have the idiotic mindset to blindly adhere to Big 3 lobbying.
The concept of easements has existed through many Liberal and Conservative governments. This has nothing to do with politics.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5931 posts
3708 upvotes
Toronto
psyko514 wrote: The concept of easements has existed through many Liberal and Conservative governments. This has nothing to do with politics.
By no means was the implication that easements were created recently.
I honestly felt this was so obvious it didn't need to be mentioned.

All matters pertaining to telecom involve both government and politics, as the industry is regulated by law.
Again - this is fairly obvious, so didn't think it needed to be mentioned.

The last sentence from my comment was a lament meant to stand on its own, less to do with easements, and more with telecom in general.
In the last decade, both Conservative and Liberal governments offered heavy lip-service towards making telecom more affordable, and consumer friendly.
From a non partisan perspective, and by the way the CRTC functioned during their respective administrations, the CRTC was actually moving in a more consumer friendly direction during Harper's (whom I'm not a fan of) tenure. This came to a full stop when the Liberals recently appointed a former Telus executive as chair of the CRTC.

Going back to easements - as mentioned, the oversight on this is weak.
Home owners put up with a ton of BS from the (often) crappy contractors the major players send out.
Going back to the story about the fibre at my parents house....
The telecom pole isn't actually on my parents property - it is in the neighbours backyard, in the corner of the property line. It is easier to access from their side.
My parents did not have to let them onto their property to do the work, but did so in good faith because they are reasonable people.
Their good faith resulted in a boatload of bullocks.
We found out after that something happened with their underground work that delayed things, but the people in charge could not be bothered to contact my parents about this delay.
As mentioned - poor oversight and accountability within their contracting network.

I hope this clarifies my views on this.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13395 posts
2610 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
demon1102 wrote: 9-1-1
Take it serious
And if you did that, I hope they take it serious and charge you for wasting their time.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5705 posts
909 upvotes
Toronto
Did Rogers installed a temporary hanging line which goes through your property?

It must be rg6 cable then
Jun 18, 2016
612 posts
1699 upvotes
demon1102 wrote: 9-1-1

Take it serious
Only an idiot would call the emergency number for a non-emergency.
Jun 29, 2010
135 posts
197 upvotes
rabbit wrote: And if you did that, I hope they take it serious and charge you for wasting their time.
MooseV2 wrote: Only an idiot would call the emergency number for a non-emergency.
For some reason this needs to be said here: That member wasn't serious. Obvious joke ended up not being that obvious to some.