Home & Garden

How do I tell if someone is a certified apppliance technician & insured?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2018 3:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2006
1086 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto

How do I tell if someone is a certified apppliance technician & insured?

I was on Kijiji looking for someone to replace/install all my appliances and got in touch with quite a few folks most of whom claimed to be certified apppliance technician & insured. How do I tell if they are? Is there any certificate or paper or website can be used to confirm it? I would defintely want a professional to handle it.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2215 posts
491 upvotes
Why not get whomever you are buying them from install them? Looking to Kijij will introduce all sorts of variables here that you don't sound too interested in having (all because you think you'll save a few bucks).

What appliances do you actually need installed?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2006
1086 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
jrees wrote: Why not get whomever you are buying them from install them? Looking to Kijij will introduce all sorts of variables here that you don't sound too interested in having (all because you think you'll save a few bucks).

What appliances do you actually need installed?

Bought mine from CAS and they don’t install.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30467 posts
5020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I don't think there are certifications for appliance installers.

For gas, you need a gas fitter or an HVAC technician. For Dishwashers, probably a plumber. You also need an electrician for the stove and dishwasher. Sames goes for washer and dryer

Refrigerator just requires a plug.

However, if you're replacing existing appliances, it should be straight forward. Gas stoves may require you to wire a 220 plug for the oven. Dishwashers may require you to hardwire the electrical.

I did my own, no problems so far.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2215 posts
491 upvotes
I'll ask again, but what appliances do you actually need installed?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2006
1086 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
jrees wrote: I'll ask again, but what appliances do you actually need installed?
Kitchen and Laundry.

How does this matter?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2215 posts
491 upvotes
ZoomZoom2006 wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 7:49 pm
Kitchen and Laundry.

How does this matter?
Lol. Ok then.

Good luck.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13914 posts
3343 upvotes
London
ZoomZoom2006 wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 4:33 pm
I was on Kijiji looking for someone to replace/install all my appliances and got in touch with quite a few folks most of whom claimed to be certified apppliance technician & insured. How do I tell if they are? Is there any certificate or paper or website can be used to confirm it? I would defintely want a professional to handle it.
https://www.collegeoftrades.ca/public-register-search

For certified appliance service technicians however this is for repair.

I don't believe installers need to be certified. CAS would have a list of recommended third party installers vs random Kijiji dudes

Also depends on the appliances to be installed as the other poster said
Last edited by l69norm on Oct 1st, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13123 posts
1664 upvotes
ZoomZoom2006 wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 7:49 pm
Kitchen and Laundry.

How does this matter?
What specific installation do you need? Are you going from electric to natural gas appliances?
Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3500 posts
1487 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 4:54 pm
I don't think there are certifications for appliance installers.

For gas, you need a gas fitter or an HVAC technician. For Dishwashers, probably a plumber. You also need an electrician for the stove and dishwasher. Sames goes for washer and dryer

Refrigerator just requires a plug.

However, if you're replacing existing appliances, it should be straight forward. Gas stoves may require you to wire a 220 plug for the oven. Dishwashers may require you to hardwire the electrical.

I did my own, no problems so far.
l69norm wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 8:22 pm
https://www.collegeoftrades.ca/public-register-search

For certified appliance service technicians however this is for repair.
I don't believe installers need to be certified.
An Appliance Service Technician installs, assembles, disassembles, removes, services, repairs, maintains and disposes of domestic appliances and electrical household products.
Some examples include refrigerators, dishwashers, washers, dryers, and ovens.

http://www.collegeoftrades.ca/wp-conten ... ov2015.pdf
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30467 posts
5020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
pootza wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 10:09 pm
An Appliance Service Technician
Service technician is someone that can repair appliances. Anyone can plug in a refrigerator.
Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3500 posts
1487 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 12:30 am
Service technician is someone that can repair appliances. Anyone can plug in a refrigerator.
Some people have a hard time plugging in a frig with a 3 prong plug into a two prong receptacle ... some don't as they just break off the ground.
According to the Ontario College of Trades "An Appliance Service Technician installs, assembles, disassembles, removes, services, repairs, maintains and disposes of domestic appliances and electrical household products."
Anybody can screw pipes together, anybody can cut a board, anybody can connect their garden hose, anybody can change a fuse, anybody can change a windshield wiper, anybody can paint a chair.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30467 posts
5020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
pootza wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 1:00 am
Some people have a hard time plugging in a frig with a 3 prong plug into a two prong receptacle ... some don't as they just break off the ground.
According to the Ontario College of Trades "An Appliance Service Technician installs, assembles, disassembles, removes, services, repairs, maintains and disposes of domestic appliances and electrical household products."
Anybody can screw pipes together, anybody can cut a board, anybody can connect their garden hose, anybody can change a fuse, anybody can change a windshield wiper, anybody can paint a chair.
I guess there is one born every minute.

If you're willing to pay for someone to plug your fridge into the receptacle, then you have more money than cents (sense)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3110 posts
805 upvotes
Edmonton
pootza wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 1:00 am
Anyone can change a 2 prong outlet to a 3 prong outlet (change outlet plus ground it)

Anyone can weld pipes together. Get a nice bevel on it with a gap, then do a root, one or several passes depending on thickness and then a nice cap

Anyone can rebuild an engine, just follow the steps on the service manual. Underneath the air intake pretty much all piston engines are the same. I mean small differences with locations and number of camshafts etc, but they more or less all run same principle.
A rotary engine, being different, is also easy to rebuild

Anyone can paint a car. With the proper guns and a descent compressor putting out a good amount of cfm, put on some etch primer, sand it down to probably 400 grit or even better if you want. Basecoat, colorsand, clear coat. Finish with sanding at 2k or 5k and your good. A nice wax on top for that extra deep look

Anyone can do anything if you put your mind to it. All this stuff is easy. But I find people very lazy (hear the excuses from "can't do it", lack of experience, too busy, no time etc etc)
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8