Home & Garden

How do I tell if someone is a certified apppliance technician & insured?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2018 3:19 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
silvergenesis wrote: From reading this thread, it sounds like the licensed plumber is more of a critical hire for this installation? We have a water line for the fridge and the dishwasher.

Should I be hiring an HVAC guy for the gas range?
It depends on what the builder has done for you. I installed my own dishwasher. You need electrical and a wye for the drain. My builder included the wye but I had to replace it because I purchased a Miele dishwasher. But you generally just need to cut the barb and hook up the drain hose. The builder did put in an electrical box with 14/2 romex. I terminated that into a receptacle under my sink. Most dishwashers just has bare wires and you just use a wire nut to connect power. Again, Miele, had a receptacle, so I plugged it in.

You will need to drill a small hole on the floor to run the water line for your fridge. That was pretty straight forward for me.

The builder usually includes a range hood. I just disconnected their's and plugged mine in. My problem was, the power were on the opposite side and the wires barely reached.

The gas stove, this is the only thing I called a professional for. I looked at YouTube and it is actually easy to uncap the gas. All you need are two wrenches and some soapy water. But I didn't want to mess with gas. I called a guy and he charged me $150 to uncap it. I watched him do it, he did it in 5 minutes just like the YouTube video. To make things worse, he refused to connect the electrical (pilot light, oven). Said I had to call an electrician. I went to Home Depot, spent $40 for the gas stove 220 Volt cable and hooked it up myself in 10 minutes

The washer and dryer took me an hour to run the hoses for the dryer and connect the water.

It depends on how handy you are.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
2354 posts
571 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: Anyone can change a 2 prong outlet to a 3 prong outlet (change outlet plus ground it)

Anyone can weld pipes together. Get a nice bevel on it with a gap, then do a root, one or several passes depending on thickness and then a nice cap

Anyone can rebuild an engine, just follow the steps on the service manual. Underneath the air intake pretty much all piston engines are the same. I mean small differences with locations and number of camshafts etc, but they more or less all run same principle.
A rotary engine, being different, is also easy to rebuild

Anyone can paint a car. With the proper guns and a descent compressor putting out a good amount of cfm, put on some etch primer, sand it down to probably 400 grit or even better if you want. Basecoat, colorsand, clear coat. Finish with sanding at 2k or 5k and your good. A nice wax on top for that extra deep look

Anyone can do anything if you put your mind to it. All this stuff is easy. But I find people very lazy (hear the excuses from "can't do it", lack of experience, too busy, no time etc etc)
And anyone can be nuclear physicist. Just need an education.....

What's your point?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
tmkf_patryk wrote: Anyone can change a 2 prong outlet to a 3 prong outlet (change outlet plus ground it)
Pros do the work faster and with less errors than you would do it yourself (installing xxx everyday vs doing it once from youtube videos). Anyone can do home renovations to 80%. Its always that last 20% that is the kicker. Even when I help the guys, around 4 o’clock I’m out of gas and they just keep going solid to get the last 20% done.

I laid new flooring in our first house the weekend before our wedding in September. I finished most of the trim quickly in October. I think it was March before I finished trimming the stairs (they were the tricky bits). The internet was around, but no YouTube. Now I know how to trim tricky bits on stairs.

With enough time and learning, you can do pretty much anything around the house.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
silvergenesis wrote: Closing on a house soon (pre-con) and looking into getting our appliances installed (gas range, fridge with water line, dishwasher and chimney range hood). Never dealt with any appliance related matter before, but it sounds like the fridge only requires plugging in?

From reading this thread, it sounds like the licensed plumber is more of a critical hire for this installation? We have a water line for the fridge and the dishwasher.

Should I be hiring an HVAC guy for the gas range?

Seems like I should be hiring someone different for the various appliances (if it's beyond a simple plug in and play). I initially thought one hire who could install it all.
Lots of plumbers have their gas ticket as well but plumbing/electrical is a 9000 hour apprenticeship course (5 years) where as a gas ticket can be obtained even through night courses.