Shopping Discussion

How do people get tickets on ticketmaster for shows that are in high demand?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2017 2:50 pm
[OP]
Oct 15, 2009
558 posts
294 upvotes

How do people get tickets on ticketmaster for shows that are in high demand?

I don't understand how anyone gets any tickets?

This is the 4th year in a row that I try to buy OVO fest tickets. I have 6 devices queued up ready to buy tickets (+ my girlfriends two at work) the second they go live, I watch the **** countdown every year. Every single year I am not able to buy a single ticket. Out of principle I will not pay 2-3x face value for them, it just rubs me the wrong way. Somehow others are getting these tickets, what am I missing here? Am I just incredibly unlucky or what?
11 replies
Sep 8, 2006
872 posts
537 upvotes
Edmonton
You need to get in on the pre-sales. American express, fan club, etc.
[OP]
Oct 15, 2009
558 posts
294 upvotes
Simby wrote: You need to get in on the pre-sales. American express, fan club, etc.
AFAIK there's no pre-sales for OVOfest
Mar 24, 2003
621 posts
149 upvotes
It's just luck (other than bots)...and make sure you're not hammering the refresh/search, they'll just block. Keep trying until 10:30ish.

OVO is one of the toughest to get. Small venue.

For OVO, if you're considering stubhub, grab the cheapest single seats you can find, if it's in the assigned seating area. You can access the LAWNs anyways. So doesn't matter if you and your friends have a bunch of singles, that aren't beside each other.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1056 posts
458 upvotes
TORONTO
I dunno how you've failed to get any. My buddy got a pair. I guess you gotta make sure your internet connection is fast and you gotta hit that refresh nuff times still.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
4507 posts
6887 upvotes
Ontario
Follow radio stations on their social media channels plus local papers. Always some sponsor is giving away tickets to festivals.
2020 quest to find Portuguese smoked paprika 💡
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13207 posts
2219 upvotes
City of Vancouver
CBC Marketplace did an episode on this. I believe the scalpers use a lot of bots. The regular folks use luck.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
18370 posts
5699 upvotes
Toronto
Fluke.

Last year I had a pair come up but they were really bad so I let them go.
This year I was able to grab a pair as well but same thing, 1-time, fluke.

In Toronto, a lot of tickets go to other places. Budweiser Stage isn't AS BAD as the Rogers Centre / ACC but ...

OVO is an in-demand concert, especially for scalpers. You're not just competing with fans, you're competing with them.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
18370 posts
5699 upvotes
Toronto
Found this person's comments in the post ... spot on, exactly what I was getting at
Aaron Cowan
do you realize Bud Stage has about 6 to 7 thousand season ticket holders?
Aaron Cowan
its not bots....thats easy scapegoat to blame brokers. Im guessing 6k seats were available today and 500k ppl trying. You guyd dont factor in that half the venue is season tickets.....another 25% are held for corporate sponsors.....dont blame the bots n brokers...ask the venue how many were actually available today and you will get your answer
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
5136 posts
3589 upvotes
Get an American Express card, then you will have much higher chances to get those tickets.
📱 Telus: $30/25GB Peace of Mind Plan + 1000 International minutes
🎁 Moola: 25% bonus on everyday essentials (Walmart, Esso and Uber Eats)
💳 Credit card combo (2-10% return): Amex + Scotiabank + MBNA