Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11470 posts
2030 upvotes
Toronto

How do People Jog in the Cold?

Whenever I run outside in the cold, I can feel my lungs and throat get really cold, and it feels like I'll catch a cold and is also painful when taking in a breath. Plus nose sniffling which is actually a large cause of getting the common cold (lower temperature in the nose results in higher % of getting cold).

Are there special techniques or something I'm missing? Or certain people are just better adapted (doesn't contribute to cold), mentally tougher?
8 replies
Mar 29, 2015
229 posts
73 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I usually cover my lower face with my scarf, so the air isn't as cold when breathing in and it helps keep some heat when breathing out.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
186 upvotes
Hm could it be you're not warmed up beforehand? If it helps do breathing exercises before you head out.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1358 posts
407 upvotes
Calgary
Being in the cold doesn't cause a cold.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3086 posts
588 upvotes
Ottawa
I have no problems at all. I suppose I have good lung capacity? I also I tend to get pretty warm once I get going.
at1212b wrote: lower temperature in the nose results in higher % of getting cold
I'm pretty sure that is not supported by science.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
195 upvotes
Markham, ON
I bundle up and wear clothes that blocks the wind!

Inside my layer of clothes I am like a hot sauna! As soon as I stop running, I will be cold. Make sure you know your own stamina and endurance so you don't stop running until you are at a place where you can have a warm shower with a change of clothes.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1950 posts
848 upvotes
HK
I use base layer underneath, and go at it hard. I'm usually sweating despite how cold it is.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1188 posts
334 upvotes
probably dry air irritating your throat. Baclava, scarf or something similar to cover your mouth/nose should do the trick and give you a small pocket of air with some humidity to make running doable outside.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5474 posts
1904 upvotes
define cold?

personally, it's -5 and below. If you breathe hard, slow down. Inhale through mouth, exhale via nose.
for anything under 20 mins, it's unlikely to feel cold.

for men, warm underwear a must in the cold. Along with mittens, good hat and windbreaker.
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat 😃
In Fed We Trust - Make ES Limit Down Great Again!