Tags:
None
[OP]
May 9, 2006
810 posts
126 upvotes
Mississauga

how do people pay their utilities bills

I just noticed that for years I have been paying Enbridge bills by pre-approval payment from my bank account, I logged on to their website today and thought what if I pay with creditcard to earn some points but it turns out they charge 1.75% processing fee. There has to be a better way to pay where we can maximize our creditcard point system. anyone here pay with creditcard? if so, which card and why?
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8714 posts
3171 upvotes
Toronto
Used to pay with Canadian Tire MC. Now with Paytm, with one of the new CC's we got.
[OP]
May 9, 2006
810 posts
126 upvotes
Mississauga
Arrgh wrote: Used to pay with Canadian Tire MC. Now with Paytm, with one of the new CC's we got.
I have a TD credit card that pays 3% on recurring payment, can I set up recurring payment with utilities using PayTm?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8714 posts
3171 upvotes
Toronto
djjungly wrote: I have a TD credit card that pays 3% on recurring payment, can I set up recurring payment with utilities using PayTm?
To do recurring payment with TD CC, you'll be setting that up in TD. That's not setting it up within paytm though.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2874 posts
895 upvotes
Toronto
I use Paytm to pay my hydro & property tax via credit card.

Been serving me quite well for the past year!
Jan 13, 2006
85 posts
25 upvotes
Markham
I use PayTM to pay Enbridge and Powerstream. No issues so far. I used to use Canadian Tire to pay the bills (and may go back to it if PayTM starts charging fees).
Feb 17, 2015
914 posts
328 upvotes
Windsor, ON
PayTM w/world elite mastercard they havent charged me a fee yet either doing this for 5 months now
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13683 posts
11180 upvotes
Leask
I think PayTM only works out favourably with MC. No love for VISA or AmEx. Since my spender's a VISA, no luck for me. I don't have any utility bills on pre-auth. Avoid pre-auth for utility bills unless it's to avoid a credit deposit on a new account (then drop PAP after 6 months). PAP on utility bills can be tricky because they come out of your chq account, and if the PAP date falls on a weekend, the money can be drawn a day or two earlier or later, which makes tracking account balance annoying. PAP on CC is not so bad, because you pay CC after the fact.

I manually pay utility bills via smartphone app (online banking). No rewards, but I choose when I pay.

I'll still crank 12k+ in PAP per year due to cellphone churning, so I am not missing out on CC CB :lol:
No solicitation in sigs
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13683 posts
11180 upvotes
Leask
Kiraly wrote: Whoah....$30 PER DAY on cell phone expenses?
I buy out 40+ celly's per year, so all my transactions go there. I pay groceries via PC points at the cash, so groceries CB is almost useless to me these days.
No solicitation in sigs
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
3837 posts
1131 upvotes
QC
jerryhung wrote: Check the PayTM app
Or the big RFD paytm thread

That's how I pay my utility bills now via CC
Home and car insurance works?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2444 posts
2045 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
Because I'm boring and I don't like the hassle of switching bill payment services for rewards I just use my credit union's online banking, I can make unlimited bill payments for no monthly fee and that's good enough for me. Also I don't do pre-Authorized payments because I like to know how much I'm paying before I pay.
DUCA credit union member
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13683 posts
11180 upvotes
Leask
jacnel wrote: Because I'm boring and I don't like the hassle of switching bill payment services for rewards I just use my credit union's online banking, I can make unlimited bill payments for no monthly fee and that's good enough for me. Also I don't do pre-Authorized payments because I like to know how much I'm paying before I pay.
+1
No solicitation in sigs