Computers & Electronics

How do the resellers of internet determine what your best connectivity to their services are?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2019 7:25 am
[OP]
Jun 14, 2009
569 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto

How do the resellers of internet determine what your best connectivity to their services are?

Guys:
I just moved from Cogeco internet (cable) to start. They suggested using cable. When I was shopping around I saw ebox had an fttn promo for even cheaper (than start) but when I checked availability, only cable internet and adsl (6 download 1upload) was available and actually only that adsl speed was an option...
Just wondering how this was so when an RfD poster here who lives in the same town has a connection with ebox dsl (albeit 50/10 unlimited) (not sure if he has fttn... )
Fwiw I never had any bell connections ever though I'm sure my house was wired for a home phone when it was built <10yrs ago (but i never subscribed to any landline plan)
Eg why is adsl from ebox only 6/1 in my area isn't that a tad low? Vs my friend who has 50/10 living in the same town... Many thanks
1 reply
Sep 1, 2009
339 posts
273 upvotes
gta
The biggest factor that affects ADSL speed is your distance from your local telephone exchange.

ADSL is delivered to your home over copper wires, and because of this, the speed of your connection to the network is impacted by the distance the information needs to travel between the exchange and your home.
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎