Entrepreneurship & Small Business

How do small bussiness sell in big retailers ?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2019 11:01 am
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
364 posts
174 upvotes
Montreal

How do small bussiness sell in big retailers ?

As title, I would like to know if you are a small company that you do have very good product, what will be the best way to break in the market by selling into big retailer stores like Costco, walmart and Best Buy?
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4897 upvotes
Here 'n There
Talk to their purchasing agents
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1150 upvotes
Large retailers like Walmart have formal system for selecting suppliers. I think I saw a video of it when I was in university (long ago). You register through a system which sets up an interview with Wal Mart agents. You go to their site, run your sales pitch/demo or whatever and try to convince them you deserve shelf space.

For smaller retailers, you just have to be like a sales rep. Like for Chinese supermarket, sometimes the owner will pro-actively seek out products he wants to sell. At the same time, various suppliers may make cold calls to try to sell some stuff to the supermarket.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
2358 posts
787 upvotes
#1. They will find you if your product is great and creating buzz
#2. You find in your community who is already selling to them and ask for referral
#3. Some retailers have set process you need to go through to be considered.
#4. Join Linkedin pro and reach out to buyers
Jul 10, 2005
758 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
In my case the brand became popular so they came looking for me.
Jul 14, 2009
219 posts
76 upvotes
Buyers in these companies are fairly easy to get a hold of and send emails to. After that is a matter of relationships, revenues and resilience.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4897 upvotes
Here 'n There
mefromparadise wrote: Buyers in these companies are fairly easy to get a hold of and send emails to. After that is a matter of relationships, revenues and resilience.
Can be a matter of luck to get a buyer interested and to take a chance. After that relationship or resilience doesn't matter squat. All that matters then is if it sells.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4338 posts
1267 upvotes
joongpark wrote: #1. They will find you if your product is great and creating buzz
#2. You find in your community who is already selling to them and ask for referral
#3. Some retailers have set process you need to go through to be considered.
#4. Join Linkedin pro and reach out to buyers
Linkedin pro is actually useful?
Banned
Nov 25, 2019
1 posts
India
Hey,

If you want to sell your products through retailers than your product presentation must be unique, So for this firstly you have to done a proper market research for your product and on that basis you can pitch retailers about your product advantages and also provide some key points of your product with retailers brand as well as sales.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4897 upvotes
Here 'n There
It also helps if you know how to spell - business not bussiness