• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2017 12:05 pm
[OP]
Nov 8, 2005
43 posts
5 upvotes

How do visitors get vaccinations

Hello,

My friends are currently visitors in Ontario and are looking to get their little one (17 months) vaccinated. As per Canadian vaccinations, the baby requires three vaccinations to be up to date.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Would a walk-in-clinic be able to provide the vaccinations, what documentation is required and how much it would cost?

I called a walk-in and they advised me to call my family doctor, while my family doctor advised me to call a walk-in clinic.

Thank you.

Edit: location
Last edited by knjazmilos on Aug 30th, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38215 posts
24393 upvotes
Center of Universe
Travel clinic?
Mar 23, 2016
821 posts
227 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Depends what province you are in. In BC you can go either to your family doctor or community health centre. A phone call to 811 will get you free health advice from registered nurses.

Actually they ask you for your PHN - are you sure they give free health advice/vaccinations for visitors?
*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5059 posts
1636 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Wouldn't they need to get vaccinated BEFORE entering Canada?

There's no guarantee that they can get the vaccinations after entering, and if they do, I would think it wouldn't be cheap.
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
638 upvotes
Toronto
Depending on the vaccinations, call any doctors office and make an appointment. I guarantee the clinic will accept the appointment as they'll be paying out of pocket for the vaccination! Just make sure you tell hen that when you call.

Cost.
Ask the clinic when you call.
Your question is a bit backwards. Why would the child need them if they're already in the country without them? Are they planning on staying/or attending school here?! You said they were just visiting.

Tons of places in Toronto that do travel vaccinations,
But unless your visitor has a health plan or coverage, they'll be paying out of pocket (obviously)
I googled it for you Neutral Face
https://www.google.com.ec/search?q=toro ... e&ie=UTF-8

Most doctors have a travel list like the link above. This stuff is pretty much price fixed!
Last edited by MrsPotato on Aug 31st, 2017 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
638 upvotes
Toronto
springdays wrote:
Actually they ask you for your PHN - are you sure they give free health advice/vaccinations for visitors?
That's correct. The visitor wouldn't be covered under provincial health care = no free vaccinations.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1421 upvotes
Toronto
I'd call a community health centre - in Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/page/community-health-centres

"When to use this option
you do not have a health care provider
you are a newcomer to Canada
you face barriers such as language, culture, physical disabilities, homelessness and poverty
you have mental health or addiction issues
you require counseling or need some help with housing issues
you’re without health insurance in Ontario"