Real Estate

How do you calculate commute these days?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2021 4:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2999 posts
804 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area

How do you calculate commute these days?

I used to be able to just go to Google maps and then set a "depart at" time, but the problem is that this estimate is based on recent traffic data, so it can't really give me an idea of what a commute might be like after COVID.

I am specifically trying to figure out the commute time from Milton to North York (York Mills). Any ideas?
<removed>
65 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44710 posts
7782 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
dc200 wrote: I used to be able to just go to Google maps and then set a "depart at" time, but the problem is that this estimate is based on recent traffic data, so it can't really give me an idea of what a commute might be like after COVID.

I am specifically trying to figure out the commute time from Milton to North York (York Mills). Any ideas?
Literally 1-2 hours.

This is dependent on weather and construction.

Random extra 30 minutes here and there. I know its not what you want to hear... but in my experience with mega commutes is that you will for sure have a huge range on commute times.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
9737 posts
11988 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
Literally 1-2 hours.

Random extra 30 minutes here and there. I know its not what you want to hear... but in my experience with mega commutes is that you will for sure have a huge range on commute times.
Accidents too.

It's better to try and live somewhere with multiple routes to your common destination.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2999 posts
804 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
That's fine.

Where I work we're going to get 2 days WFH after this is over, so that makes things easier. Can't beat construction but I can definitely stay home on those snowy days.

Would Milton to Meadowvale GO by car and then direct to York Mills by bus be faster?
<removed>
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2020
1209 posts
1633 upvotes
dc200 wrote: That's fine.

Where I work we're going to get 2 days WFH after this is over, so that makes things easier. Can't beat construction but I can definitely stay home on those snowy days.

Would Milton to Meadowvale GO by car and then direct to York Mills by bus be faster?
I’ve taken the Milton bus many times but to union station. Most of the time it got me there on schedule. That being said the times I travelled were not always rush hour, during rush hour when I used the bus it could vary. Apparently it can get you to York mills in 45 minutes but I’m unsure from looking at the schedule if it provided service multiple times a day or only certain times. I’m not sure how flexible your work is with hours but if you can avoid rush hour it can make a difference for your commute. At least you will only have to do it 3x a week which is much better than 5x.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44710 posts
7782 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
dc200 wrote: That's fine.

Are they flexible with time? Do you have to work a set hour, or do you just have to be there @ 8 hrs total regardless of start time?

If thats the case... if you leave early or late enough, it aint that bad.

Like 7am-3pm

Or 10:30 to 6:30 (if you like sleeping in).
One time i had a far one. Left @ 9:30 always there in an hr. Not good, but not bad either. @ least it was a consistent 1 hr
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
1152 posts
2135 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: Literally 1-2 hours.

Pretty much, I vividly remember the agony getting to the 401 from York Mills during afternoon rush hour. If you are by Yonge, going north to 401 is not too bad, of course once you are on it you might as well get the piss jugs out. Northbound on Bayview or Leslie from York Mills to 401 were bumper to bumper, could be an easy 20 mins just to the 401 (this is where you can start drinking the piss jugs from the night before).

I am hoping we don't get to this point when we reopen.
Last edited by RichmondCA on Feb 8th, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Realtor, Investor, CPA
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
9737 posts
11988 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: If i was making it rain, i would take the 407 all the time.
Yea, it's crazy that some people spend over $1k a month just to take it to and from work. And probably another $500 in gas.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
1152 posts
2135 upvotes
Toronto
mazerbeaner wrote: Yea, it's crazy that some people spend over $1k a month just to take it to and from work. And probably another $500 in gas.

A lot of employers will cover the bill for employees at a certain pay. It sucks paying for 407 with aftertax money, it almost feels criminal to me.
Realtor, Investor, CPA
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
9737 posts
11988 upvotes
Toronto
RichmondCA wrote: A lot of employers will cover the bill for employees at a certain pay. It sucks paying for 407 with aftertax money, it almost feels criminal to me.
Yea my work covers car, gas, insurance and 407 for the level above me and higher. I want to get promoted for that one perk alone. Pretty sure our monthly bill is higher than $1m.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
1152 posts
2135 upvotes
Toronto
You are early retiring soon anyway, leave that for the next sucker to strive for :)
Realtor, Investor, CPA
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
9737 posts
11988 upvotes
Toronto
RichmondCA wrote: You are early retiring soon anyway, leave that for the next sucker to strive for :)
Yea, more on the coast FIRE life plan at the moment. Would have been fat FIRE if I held on to that crypto lol.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
9737 posts
11988 upvotes
Toronto
dc200 wrote: I used to be able to just go to Google maps and then set a "depart at" time, but the problem is that this estimate is based on recent traffic data, so it can't really give me an idea of what a commute might be like after COVID.

Is Scarborough out of the question? I know it gets a bad rap but there are some nice areas.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2999 posts
804 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
RichmondCA wrote: Pretty much, I vividly remember the agony getting to the 401 from York Mills during afternoon rush hour. If you are by Yonge, going north to 401 is not too bad, of course once you are on it you might as well get the piss jugs out. Northbound on Bayview or Leslie from York Mills to 401 were bumper to bumper, could be an easy 20 mins just to the 401 (this is where you can start drinking the piss jugs from the night before).

I am hoping we don't get to this point when we reopen.
Oh it won't be. Lots of companies are allowing permanent WFH which means reduced traffic. Too early to tell if it'll result in a significant change but let's see what happens.

Even a hybrid WFH/office approach is a step towards reducing rush hour traffic.
<removed>
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2999 posts
804 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
mazerbeaner wrote: Is Scarborough out of the question? I know it gets a bad rap but there are some nice areas.
I just bought a house in Milton so moving is out of the question.

Also I prefer not to be stabbed and/or shot.

Can someone upvote my stuff, I need internet points or mods will ban me.
<removed>
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2020
1209 posts
1633 upvotes
dc200 wrote: I just bought a house in Milton so moving is out of the question.

I don’t think they will ban you. I don’t see that you posted anything wrong here.
Oct 30, 2017
381 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
dc200 wrote: I just bought a house in Milton so moving is out of the question.

I don't think you know what you are talking about.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2999 posts
804 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
MetalGear wrote: I don't think you know what you are talking about.
Yes
<removed>
Jan 13, 2021
222 posts
546 upvotes
dc200 wrote:
trying to figure out the commute time from Milton to North York (York Mills). Any ideas?
Yes, it takes "efff my life" hours and "why do I deserve this?" minutes according to my experience.