Art and Photography

How do you "correct" the Sony e pz 16-50 lens?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2018 4:25 pm
[OP]
Aug 13, 2017
67 posts
6 upvotes

How do you "correct" the Sony e pz 16-50 lens?

I've been digging around and noticed some people said this kit lens should produce great results but should be "corrected", or "digitally corrected". I've looked around online, but couldn't find any info on how this is done. Anyone know what is meant by "digitally correcting"?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1240 posts
913 upvotes
Montreal
Most likely means to retouch the photo using Lightroom or Photoshop
[OP]
Aug 13, 2017
67 posts
6 upvotes
aerok wrote: Most likely means to retouch the photo using Lightroom or Photoshop
That's what I figured, but it seems redundant. So people are saying the E PZ is a great lens so long as you use post-production?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1240 posts
913 upvotes
Montreal
ModernDad wrote: That's what I figured, but it seems redundant. So people are saying the E PZ is a great lens so long as you use post-production?
Yeah you can pretty much ignore 90% of comments made online, it's not a great lens and it's not meant to be.
Last edited by kangmlee on Sep 11th, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4458 posts
2111 upvotes
Calgary
Kit lens are notoriously mediocre, and that Sony lens is on the lower end of the average.

That said, a lot of it does fall down to the photographer himself. A camera and a good lens does not suddenly make the photographs better. There is no magic fix all to a poor shot doing post processing, despite what some people on videos will try to sell. The less work you have to do post processing the better.

Why not show a photo and post the EXIF (capture?) We can tell you right away if the shot is due to the lens limitations or settings.

There is a certain point in your progress as a photographer that you will realize and understand the limitations of your kit lens, and progress accordingly.

On a side note, to me, "correcting" a lens means micro adjusting the AF using special tools to ensure your camera is auto focusing correctly. Lightroom also has settings to correct distortions based on the lens used. Fixing the distortion won't suddenly make your shot better however.
Nov 23, 2010
369 posts
178 upvotes
Montreal
with the price that you are paying compare to other brands, I think Sony especially the A6000 one kit lenses, it's better than the Canon one, but it's just my opinion!
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4151 posts
519 upvotes
they're referring to the distortion at the wide-end
so you correct it with lens profile etc.
it's still gonna turn out mediocre at best
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

May 30, 2015
638 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nobodylulukkkk wrote: with the price that you are paying compare to other brands, I think Sony especially the A6000 one kit lenses, it's better than the Canon one, but it's just my opinion!
this has nothing to do with opinion, the Sony lens is one of the worst kit lens available and even the old Canon 18-55 will give you more contrast and sharpness than the Sony pos.

Sony: http://www.opticallimits.com/sony-alpha ... ss?start=2

Canon: http://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/ ... 56?start=2
Oct 27, 2013
882 posts
210 upvotes
Mississauga
If you shoot JPEG, the camera automatically applies the lens correction. If you shoot RAW, when you edit in lightroom, it should automatically pick up the profile and apply it, otherwise you can do it manually.

Basically, if you're a novice user, the correction is already applied. You can find it in the menu if you wanted to disable it. Many mirrorless lenses are designed this way so they can be smaller, lighter and cheaper. You will find this "issue" even with $2000+ zoom lenses.

And yes, apart from shooting at f/8, this is a bad lens. I always tell people to get an RX100 instead of an Axxxx camera if they are not planning on getting other lenses.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1240 posts
913 upvotes
Montreal
thesearchfordean wrote: I always tell people to get an RX100 instead of an Axxxx camera if they are not planning on getting other lenses.
This is the best advice you can give to anyone considering buying a camera. Especialy to those buying entry level cameras like T7, D3500, A6000.

Get a similarly priced compact camera and be amazed.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2005
1866 posts
114 upvotes
I give the same advice to people buying Canon rebels. Take your 18-55 and place it under your car wheel and drive over it. Surprisingly though people use it a lot......
Nikon D810, 16-35 F4 VR, 200-500 F5.6E VR, 70-200 F2.8E VR, 50 1.8
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
5378 posts
1201 upvotes
Sure knock on the lens but photos I've taken have made print several times. Sometimes when you need to travel light and need to be low key, pancake zoom like this is the way to go.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4151 posts
519 upvotes
yeah the one inch and 100g you save makes it that much more low key
i'm about compactness on the go, but at least get a respectable zoom.

the only argument is if you take more videos than photos or if you're pocketing it and not buying a case/bag
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.