Off Topic

how do you deal with self righteous relatives -very argumentative

Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1068 upvotes
Woodbridge
hierophant wrote: Hmmm I know that hockey example is from Malcolm Gladwell's book that's 20 years old. I didn't bother watching the rest from a guy who appears to steal people's work/ideas without crediting them for it.
I also read and enjoyed Outliers, but I'm not sure that a summary of publicly-available statistics can be considered to be intellectual property. Unless you have some reason to believe that Gladwell is the only person to have uncovered that connection and somehow did it through some proprietary means.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3694 posts
2493 upvotes
OntEdTchr wrote: I also read and enjoyed Outliers, but I'm not sure that a summary of publicly-available statistics can be considered to be intellectual property. Unless you have some reason to believe that Gladwell is the only person to have uncovered that connection and somehow did it through some proprietary means.
I think you're confusing a bunch of terms and concepts. This has absolutely nothing to do with proprietary information. Raw or primary data generally comes from someone or some organization's research. Raw data such as publicly-available stats that are produced by the government (e.g. what Stats Canada provides) is one thing - researcher often use that as secondary data for their research. However, most researchers who are collecting data, generally always follow it up with their own analysis. In this case, the analysis and conclusions drawn from this data is someone's work, it might fall under IP e.g. if it's copyrighted. I'm not sure whose work that particular example comes from but regardless it is someone's work that has been published, it didn't magically appear out of no where and people just started drawing the same conclusions - that's not how it works. Point being, you ALWAYS give credit for someone's work - this guy used a number examples based on other people's data and work without giving any credit. Moreover, this guy didn't provide his name, credentials, the context for this video, or the purpose - in my book this video is horrible. I hope you don't take this personally or get defensive about it - it's not like you made the video.
Before responding to someone (online or offline) ask yourself: is it true? is it helpful? is it kind? is it necessary? This comes from an old Sufi adage that is so relevant today.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1068 upvotes
Woodbridge
hierophant wrote: I think you're confusing a bunch of terms and concepts. This has absolutely nothing to do with proprietary information. Raw or primary data generally comes from someone or some organization's research. Raw data such as publicly-available stats that are produced by the government (e.g. what Stats Canada provides) is one thing - researcher often use that as secondary data for their research. However, most researchers who are collecting data, generally always follow it up with their own analysis. In this case, the analysis and conclusions drawn from this data is someone's work, it might fall under IP e.g. if it's copyrighted. I'm not sure whose work that particular example comes from but regardless it is someone's work that has been published, it didn't magically appear out of no where and people just started drawing the same conclusions - that's not how it works. Point being, you ALWAYS give credit for someone's work - this guy used a number examples based on other people's data and work without giving any credit. Moreover, this guy didn't provide his name, credentials, the context for this video, or the purpose - in my book this video is horrible. I hope you don't take this personally or get defensive about it - it's not like you made the video.
Oh, I'm definitely not taking it personally. Just expressing a difference of opinion. I don't think that an analysis that yields the conclusion that more than 25% of hockey players are born in the first 25% of months is particularly unique. Given the context and the medium (YouTube), this type of stuff is typical and wouldn't meet my personal threshold of dismissing the source. The channel itself has a variety of videos on diverse topics. It's just some interesting food for thought and not meant to be an authority on the subject. That's just my perspective at least.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6744 posts
5834 upvotes
Toronto
Stopped reading at:
monchichipower wrote: Told her im listening social influencer on youtube who have social proof and recceipts to prove it.
What are you guys? 12?
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13113 posts
2191 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Just go to the bathroom, lock the door, and watch youtube on the throne until ur relative leaves or changes the subject.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7008 posts
4173 upvotes
Victoria, BC
sushi604 wrote: I have the same type of relatives, but on a cometely different subject. Their subject is marriage - how it is crucial for a woman to get married. I think the best way to deal with them is ignore them all together and not say a word because those relatives just want to make you feel bad about yourselves and if you don't respond to them, like literally just sit there with a blank face and not say a word, they have nothing to say to continue.
What century are they living in? I'm 50 and never had to deal with that kind of crap from any family members.
Feb 7, 2019
194 posts
109 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: What century are they living in? I'm 50 and never had to deal with that kind of crap from any family members.
It's the culture. I've read some discussion forums and they would label the women as "leftover" if they are not married by 27.
Nov 14, 2012
320 posts
157 upvotes
monchichipower wrote: How do you deal with extremely argumentative family relatives.
MInd your she aint successful at all.
Auntie, how is all this you are telling me working out for you?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43444 posts
6696 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
ramon2 wrote: Auntie, how is all this you are telling me working out for you?
Auntie come back

“I had 3 kids when i was 18 years old!
How many do you have?”

Worst is if they are immigrants coming from a hard knock life.

I always get the “back in Vietnam... my whole family was shot @ by Americans! 100 people die!!!”
Then he teared a bit. Shit was crazy back then.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10635 posts
1821 upvotes
Toronto
monchichipower wrote: How do you deal with extremely argumentative family relatives.

got a family member who spilling lecturing me on their so called motivational talk about to work harder, and go up in company and i should go make more money and more money. when i told her that it isnt always aboout working hard but knowing the right people, social intetelligence, charisma, mental power, having the drive and being on your grind helps a lot too . Its a combo of a lot of things.

She argues and thinks its all about working hard and thats it. MInd your she aint successful at all. Told her im listening social influencer on youtube who have social proof and recceipts to prove it. She argues that it wont work for you since everyone is different. blah blah

i then tell her story aboout micheal jordan bulls how he wouldnt be able to do it all along. he had a lot help
She then says i dont care about other people.

seems like she likes arguing and when she runs out of gas then says i dont care.

This is just an example but there are multiple cases and stories i can tell you. She just loves to argue and be self righteous attitude. When you give back you comments she shuts it down and says ok conversation is over. She a big instigator for arguments .

any suggesions? is this a form of gas lighting
My aunt is horrible for starting stupid crap. It's basically the reason I don't talk to any of my family on my father's side except for my father and grandmother.

The rest of them like my aunt and cousins can rot for all I care.

Thats how I deal with it. I don't talk to them anymore so no need to deal with their shit.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1259 posts
1069 upvotes
You stop talking to them. Period. Is it really that hard to do???
People are fundamentally good even though they don't always act like it.