Food & Drink

How do you eat Soft Shell Crab ?? or Sushi with Soft shell Crab?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2006 9:18 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes

How do you eat Soft Shell Crab ?? or Sushi with Soft shell Crab?

I've eaten sushi with soft shell crab a few times and am not too crazy about eating the rools with the whole crab in them.

I know its what you are supposed to eat and I've had them at several restaurants and am not that crazy about them...

I was going to try a soft shell crab dinner at a place I eat at, but I don't know if I'd really want to eat the whole crab.

I usually like tempura shrimp rolls better, probably because they have no shell on them I think.

I thinkt he place I was getting my sushi from uses the whole crab (was hard to tell).

Anyway, how should I eat a whole shoft shell crab?

:confused:
I know I should know this by now and I don't :lol:
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
13 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
Steeve Urkel wrote:I've eaten sushi with soft shell crab a few times and am not too crazy about eating the rools with the whole crab in them.

I know its what you are supposed to eat and I've had them at several restaurants and am not that crazy about them...

I was going to try a soft shell crab dinner at a place I eat at, but I don't know if I'd really want to eat the whole crab.

I usually like tempura shrimp rolls better, probably because they have no shell on them I think.

I thinkt he place I was getting my sushi from uses the whole crab (was hard to tell).

Anyway, how should I eat a whole soft shell crab?

what part do I not eat (probably the middle part w the yucky guts..if they even have that...)

:confused:
I know I should know this by now and I don't :lol:
/
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2732 posts
132 upvotes
Peterborough
Just scarf it down. The whole point of it being identified as soft shelled crab is that you can eat the shell. If you don't like it, or can't wrap your head around it, try something else.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2005
1269 posts
61 upvotes
or use Shake'nBake but instead of put in the oven just deepfried 'em
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
1120 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Soft shell crab is usually cooked in a light batter. Most of the time it's cut into smaller pieces for you. Nothing really to it, just dip them in the vinegar, and eat them like chips :)
Jan 19, 2006
184 posts
the shell of the crab in the soft shell crab rolls are soft and the rolls itself are usually cut into pieces so i just shove it into my mouth :D

shrimp tempura rolls are the best!!
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2004
3783 posts
181 upvotes
Markham
???? You just eat soft shell crab with the shell, I personally don't like the sushi ones as much, I like soft shell crap by itself better usually fried.
Sep 5, 2005
270 posts
1 upvote
I'm not too crazy about soft shell crab either. I'll eat it, but I don't like my sushi crunchy. Also, there is always one soft shell crab in an order that has the entire leg hanging out. I leave that one for my friends :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
2986 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
deep fry and finish with some salt and pepper or ponzu sauce. :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
thanks,

next time I'll try with some sauce.

I have usually had the soft shell crab lightly breaded and deepfried when I ate them.
I don't cook them at home.

if I still don't like it I think I'll stick to my tempura shrimp... :D
Feb 28, 2006
1 posts
i watched a exert on foodnetwork television that showed some great ways of eating soft shelled crab. The chef battered the crab with egg and milk then dipped it in a flavoured breading with spices of your choice. Softshelled seem to go very well with tangerine sauces or olive oil vinagerettes.
so much for being the normal one :lol:
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
1120 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
bunnylove wrote:I'm not too crazy about soft shell crab either. I'll eat it, but I don't like my sushi crunchy. Also, there is always one soft shell crab in an order that has the entire leg hanging out. I leave that one for my friends :cheesygri
The one with the legs sticking out is my favourite piece!!!! Whenever a spider roll comes in for our group, i always make a grab for the ones with the longest legs :D