Real Estate

How do you find a realtor?

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2021 8:22 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 17, 2017
1010 posts
2522 upvotes

How do you find a realtor?

Edit: found one, thanks for the referrals!

So we applied for pre approval through a broker, who referred us to their partner realtor. However, this person likely isn't an expert in all of the GTA, butt they are offering a $3000 cashback on $600k purchase.

We are kinda looking now in Durham area and how the heck do you find someone who's an expert in that area who you can trust? Is that even necessary (being an expert in the area)?

Need help!
Last edited by scottmg on May 3rd, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My phone plan is $400 a month for 500 MB of data.
My internet plan is $199.99 for capped internet and slow speeds.
My credit cards are the ones with annual fees but terrible rewards.
Did I RFD correctly?
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6222 posts
5528 upvotes
Doesn't matter how you find them IMO. But once you do (e.g. referral, listing agent, bus sign), my advice is to get someone who knows the area and also meet with them and just get a vibe from them. I made the mistake not doing either with the first 2 and it was a horrible experience (both were referred to me by family or friend). Third time, was the charm - met her through my physio. We met for a coffee - she grew up in the city, experienced, knows her stuff and we had a good rapport - we're still friends. Biggest advice - trust your gut. I ignored my instincts with the first 2 and I'm soooo lucky I didn't get myself into a situation I didn't like because I made offers through both of them. Also - don't sign a BRA - if they insist, run the other way.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 17, 2017
1010 posts
2522 upvotes
hierophant wrote: Doesn't matter how you find them IMO. But once you do (e.g. referral, listing agent, bus sign), my advice is to get someone who knows the area and also meet with them and just get a vibe from them. I made the mistake not doing either with the first 2 and it was a horrible experience (both were referred to me by family or friend). Third time, was the charm - met her through my physio. We met for a coffee - she grew up in the city, experienced, knows her stuff and we had a good rapport - we're still friends. Biggest advice - trust your gut. I ignored my instincts with the first 2 and I'm soooo lucky I didn't get myself into a situation I didn't like because I made offers through both of them. Also - don't sign a BRA - if they insist, run the other way.
Ok one , what's a BRA...and two, did you meet personally with them during covid? I feel like things are more awkward now...lol
My phone plan is $400 a month for 500 MB of data.
My internet plan is $199.99 for capped internet and slow speeds.
My credit cards are the ones with annual fees but terrible rewards.
Did I RFD correctly?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6222 posts
5528 upvotes
scottmg wrote: Ok one , what's a BRA...and two, did you meet personally with them during covid? I feel like things are more awkward now...lol
Buyer representative agreement: https://www.canadianrealestatemagazine. ... 34483.aspx

I bought before COVID but you could do an online meeting or meet outside...you're going to be seeing them in person when you see houses anyways. Not sure where you're located but might be better to wait until after the lockdown measures have been lifted if you're in ON. IMO the agent should be wanting to meet with you to learn more about you - e.g. type of house, budget, timeline, learn about your personality, etc. If they don't, that's another red flag...avoid them.
Last edited by hierophant on Apr 29th, 2021 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 17, 2017
1010 posts
2522 upvotes
hierophant wrote: Buyer representative agreement: https://www.canadianrealestatemagazine. ... 34483.aspx

I bought before COVID but you could do an online meeting or meet outside...you're going to be seeing them in person when you see houses anyways. Not sure where you're located but might be better to wait until after the lockdown measures have been lifted if you're in ON

Okay thanks. I am in Toronto area. But as for waiting, it feels like with the lockdowns here we could be waiting for months Face With Tears Of Joy
My phone plan is $400 a month for 500 MB of data.
My internet plan is $199.99 for capped internet and slow speeds.
My credit cards are the ones with annual fees but terrible rewards.
Did I RFD correctly?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)